cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

should Electronic Throttle System be replaced ?

Happytracks
Explorer
Explorer
I have a King throttle on a 1998 Country Coach. After spending the night at Raton RV Park (Raton Pass 7,836 ft.) my throttle was completely gone. Coachnet had me towed first to Stewart & Stevens, Pueblo, CO. Their electronic expert was off so Coachnet had me towed to Transwest, Colorado Springs. Total tow cost was $1500+. Kudos to Coachnet. Transwest repairman spent less than two hours. The fix was a loose connection at the motor....cost $447. A new system is $600 plus installation Altitude had nothing to do with the problem. Should I have the throttle system replaced? I have 68,000 miles on the motorhome.

Thanks
Happytracks
3 REPLIES 3

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Why replace it? It's an old technology system, not used much in the first place and not at all now with computer controlled engines. Parts are going to be hard to find locally and if you can't fix what you have you will be down waiting for parts to come from the manufacturer. On the other hand, it's still available, a whole kit is under $600, and spares are available if you want to carry them. It's like a lot of things - older stuff is getting harder to work on.

Alternative would be an air throttle system. Also old tech, far more available, and about as costly to install. I'd probably become an expert in King throttle systems and be prepared to fix my own stuff. Bonus may be that it's usually also a cruise control.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Why replace it now? If it is working, go with it.

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure the $600.00 is for a new King box? When the King box failed on our '97 Dynasty, I was told that the only solution was to have the unit rebuilt, which was indeed $600.00. Either way, if it were me, I would have the unit rebuilt or replaced if that's possible.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad