cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Ox Brake System info....

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Blue Ox BX88179 Apollo braking system and I'm having trouble figuring out how to install it in my Saturn sedan. It looks like this:

Problem is figuring out how to set it up in a way that's quick, simple, and hopefully not too expensive. And will actually work for more than two or three actuations. What happens now if I set it up according to the directions and it pushes against the plush seat, it'll walk a little. The entire device moves and then the air ram relaxes after a bit and pulls the entire device back towards the brake pedal. It moves an inch or two every actuation, and by the third actuation, it's no longer pushing against the seat.

I've tried using a piece of 1/2" plywood, but there's no change. Tried several different seat positions but no change. I just doesn't stay in place.

I know 10's of thousands uses these things, and that Saturn is a popular tow car...but how do you set it up for reliable operation? What am I missing, or how are you setting yours up so it stays in place? Do I modify the car somehow?

Any ideas? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.
9 REPLIES 9

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Old Blue wrote:
I have the same brake system, used on my gmc truck and now on my chevy traverse and what I do to mine to stop the walking around is this...hope this helps....1st. press the brake peddle several times. 2nd. attach the lever to the peddle. 3rd. go thru the system, power up, test, etc. 4th. set the marker light to #5. now here is what I did to stop the walking. put a strap, rope, or belt over the seat and up under the seat and thru the handle of the control pull it tight than slide the seat back a bit this holds the control tight and you should be good to go. Be sure you set you lights to where you want the brake to be activated I seem to like #5. Hope this helps, also hope you understand what I wrote..
Bill

Bill, this sounds like a good test. I will try that strapping technique. Might have to find a quick snap type strap but I know most stores with a camping section have them.

Thanks for the phone number, TexasH. I would have called them already except I'm hard of hearing and phone calls are torture for me and whomever I call because of having to ask them to repeat themselves over and over as I try to make sense of what they've said.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

Old_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same brake system, used on my gmc truck and now on my chevy traverse and what I do to mine to stop the walking around is this...hope this helps....1st. press the brake peddle several times. 2nd. attach the lever to the peddle. 3rd. go thru the system, power up, test, etc. 4th. set the marker light to #5. now here is what I did to stop the walking. put a strap, rope, or belt over the seat and up under the seat and thru the handle of the control pull it tight than slide the seat back a bit this holds the control tight and you should be good to go. Be sure you set you lights to where you want the brake to be activated I seem to like #5. Hope this helps, also hope you understand what I wrote..
Bill
Bill
36 Holiday Rambler
Harley Rider

TexasH
Explorer
Explorer
Contact Blue Ox Customer Service at 402-385-3051. They have always been exceptionally knowledgeable about their products and always helpful. I'm sure that they can give you advice on making the brake work well.
2002 Southwind 37U Ford F53 - V10
2007 Jeep Liberty Toad

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
That was my first toad braking system, I used bungie cords to hold it in place. It worked pretty good but I always had to adjust it during the days drive if I was not on the interstate. The next braking system I used, ready brake, I was not pleased with. My current system., Air Force One, works like a gem. Good luck with your system.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
RichNewcome wrote:
I guess my point was that it doesn't really matter if it's doesn't keep its position as long as it goes back, presses against the seat, and has enough stroke to push the pedal. Mine acted in a similar fashion.

Mine does all that, but the seat cushion is too thick I think. The bar that presses against it won't come back to the right place every time, so it's out of position the next braking event (and it's adjustable and I've tried different settings). Putting a piece of plywood in front of the seat hasn't worked either. I think I'll get a BIG piece. Maybe something that I can lash to the seat somehow. The one I'm trying to use now is 12" X 9" and isn't doing the trick.

I hoped someone else had come up with a fix for this.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

RichNewcome
Explorer
Explorer
I guess my point was that it doesn't really matter if it's doesn't keep its position as long as it goes back, presses against the seat, and has enough stroke to push the pedal. Mine acted in a similar fashion.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
RichNewcome wrote:
I used to have one of those. You might try pushing the test button after it has moved forward and observing how it acts. I think you will find that the "box" will be pushed back to the seat as the actuator arm extends. Maybe you need to move the seat farther forward, but seeing it in operation will help you determine that.

I've operated it using the test button 10's of times and cannot figure out how to stop it from jumping out of position. And I have tried pushing the seat very close to it too. Which causes the brakes to be applied. When I just back it off from that, after 3 operations, it's again jumped out of position.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

RichNewcome
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have one of those. You might try pushing the test button after it has moved forward and observing how it acts. I think you will find that the "box" will be pushed back to the seat as the actuator arm extends. Maybe you need to move the seat farther forward, but seeing it in operation will help you determine that.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have one but it instructions say to retract the arm as far as it will with it hooked to he brake pedal. Then move the seat up to it. If you did that the there shouldn't be any room left for it to move towards the brake. The rod can't retract any more and it's against the brake.