cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boondocking and using a Generator while sleeping ???

dotcommer
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2016 Class A Thor Challenger and I was going through the manual and it says to never run the generator while sleeping.

We have carbon monoxide detectors inside the RV, front and back and we will be boondocking on a few of the nights at Flying Jay's truck stops as we drive back to Arizona this week from the east coast.

We had the generator running while driving from Florida to Connecticut as it was hot during the day, and there seem to be no issues with the Generator and already boondocked one night and had the generator running all night. (this was before reading the manual)

Should I be scared to have the generator running while we sleep? As it will be hot in the evening during our trip?

Thanks
51 REPLIES 51

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
In our travels, we often visit friends along the way and usually stay at their homes. If they do not have sufficient power to run the A/C, we run the generator with my homemade Gem-Turi attached. Have never had any problems with this setup regardless of the weather, be it be hot and humid with no breeze or windy. Would not do it over night without the Gen-turi. Recently was in Alabama and North Carolina where I ran the generator 5 days in a row. Takes just a few minutes to hook it up.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Don't worry about it! If the exhaust fumes come into the coach you'll never know.................
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
For us it seems like everywhere we camp here on the East side of the US the public camp grounds including the Natl Forest areas always has generator run time restrictions in place. Alot of the camp ground here have sections set aside for generator use.

Most of the camps allow the generator a couple hours in the morning and in the late after noon. Most of the Natl Forest places seem to have generator run time from 8AM to 8PM now. It seems we find most public places never allow generators after 8PM or before 8Am the next morning. There are only a few public dispersed camping locations here on the East side...

Most of these rules really hit the smaller RV units like we have. You do hear the large motor homes purring away all night long... Don't know if that is their motor or generator running...

I am assuming that out West the rules for running your generator at public places is relaxed alot. There seems to be alot of public places that allow generator run time at any time from what I read...

This was a big decision for us going to a larger Battery bank and only use our small generator to run when allowed and re-charge our battery bank. This usually needs three hours of generator run each morning. Of course the battery banks here are not large enough to run any air conditioning or high wattage items like the microwave.

Just passing along what we run into. I too would never sleep running the generator all night long. Same goes for my MR BUDDY portable propane heater hehe... Have been to numerous outings where a centralized generator was used away from the camp location providing power to those that need it... Most of our Radio Comms trips have this.

My generator sets secured in the tail gate corner of my closed and locked truck bed. It goes where I go. When I need to use I pull it out on the tail gate and point the exhaust away from the truck bed. If I point this setup at my trailer I will set off my alarms. I'm assuming I will do the same thing to neighbor campers...

Roy's image

There are a few survivors on here that have a story to tell as well on this subject...

Stay safe out there...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
CO Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

5 minute Google search......
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not too long ago, we ran our onboard generator non-stop for 6 days during a storm caused power outage with no CO increase indicated on our two CO detector displays. We did install our Gen-turi though. We wouldn't normally run it continuously for ourselves, but we were also powering the TT's on either side of us, one with a fellow on oxygen that needed his concentrator powered 24/7.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Millions of RV'ers over the past 40 years have run their Genset while sleeping. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU READ ABOUT SOMEONE DIED FROM MONOXIDE POISINING IN THEIR MOTORHOME while running their genset overnight or even during the day? Not just incapacitated from Monoxide, DIED from overnight Genset running. You can always get levels of monoxide in your motorhome, they are not sealed tight. But, the Gas does NOT force its way IN, it is shot out and disbursed in the air. OK, don't do that, what about in Speedways and fairgrounds that have your neighbors Aqua Hot and Genset shooting it right into your campsite. Do you go around to every RV'er and demand they shut their Genset OFF because you don't want THEIR monoxide in your RV:h Doug

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
There is a lot of paranoia in this thread. In a TRUCK STOP there are idling vehicles and reefers running all night. Nobody dies.

Check your detectors and sleep well. Noise will be your enemy.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
We belong to Pass Port America, A lot of the Camp Grounds are half price. They run around $12 to $15.00. Let dig in the pocket and stay in a RV park and enjoy your night.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shouldn't be a problem to run the generator at night just ensure when you park the exhaust has a clear area for the gases to expand into and not be redirect back towards the coach. Parking next to a dumpsters, retaining wall, other vehicles and such should be avoided. Same if your parking near other RV's, look for the exhaust and park clear of it. A generator exhaust stack to direct the gases upward is a good option when in a crowded area such as a truck stop.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm overly cautious on this subject, but there's no way I go to bed with the on-board generator running....even with a Genturi attached. I've been in Emergency Services for the past 30 years and I've seen CO poisoning in houses first hand. One came from just idling a car to warm it up in an attached garage at a house.

I brought the CO meter from my office to the house to check the CO level inside the motorhome with the generator running. Without the generator running the level was zero, as expected.....with the generator running it ranged from 9ppm to 35ppm, depending on where I was testing. With the Genturi installed, it did reduce it to 7ppm throughout but any level of CO while I'm sleeping is too much for me.

If you REALLY want to know, contact someone with your local fire department and ask if they would be willing to do a CO test inside your coach while the generator is running. Then you'll know for sure if there are any exhaust leaks BEFORE you try to get a good night's rest with the generator running. My recommendation is to NOT try it......

Just my $0.02 worth....
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
My last volunteer gig at Talladega I forgot my Gen-Turi (left it at home). As a volunteer we get a free site, but it nothing more than a specific area inside a fence with no services of any kind. Definitely boondocking. The wind was out of the same direction the entire time I was there (blowing right into the side of my rig where the generator exhaust exits) and no matter what window or vent condition I used I was setting off my CO detector. I actually have two detectors, the one built in that came with my rig and a portable one I can move around and it is battery operated. It also has the CO level indicator that the built in one doesn't have so I can see if the level is starting up. I tried all windows closed, upwind windows open, roof vent sucking or blowing, etc. Nothing worked. So for 6 days I could only use the generator long enough to perk a cup in the mornings. The gen exhaust was getting in regardless of my efforts.

Would I consider sleeping with the generator running? With the Gen-Turi yes, without it NEVER.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

A_Good_Cigar
Explorer
Explorer
You said that your RV has two detectors. When running the generator overnight for A/C , just before going to bed simply test each detector individually, and get a good night's rest:)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2004 Grand Cherokee Overland HO 4.7 4x4 Toad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Consider buying or making a Gen-Turi

There are several DIY videos on Youtube.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Just makie sure your CO detectors are working well. Since it's your life you're experimenting with... Get one of the CO detectors with a digital readout of the exact CO level. Test things out and look at that level a lot. Keep the generator away from the RV if possible. Also downwind.

Be mindful of less fortunate people who cannot afford a generator and are sleeping in their car with the windows down. You're more likely to kill them than yourself. Make sure you're nowhere near them.

dotcommer
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
yes it means the roof vent fans on exhaust
as that might pull in fumes from outside thru windows or floor and storage openings

IF I have the genny on night it is for A/C so i would not be using the roof vent fans

if i wanted the fans they would be on reverse AKA pushing air into the RV
aka positive pressure, NOT sucking air out

Thank you for your post, being new to RV'ing, I wasn't 100% sure if they meant the roof ventilator. Yes, with the AC on, no need to be running the roof ventilator.