cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boondocking and using a Generator while sleeping ???

dotcommer
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2016 Class A Thor Challenger and I was going through the manual and it says to never run the generator while sleeping.

We have carbon monoxide detectors inside the RV, front and back and we will be boondocking on a few of the nights at Flying Jay's truck stops as we drive back to Arizona this week from the east coast.

We had the generator running while driving from Florida to Connecticut as it was hot during the day, and there seem to be no issues with the Generator and already boondocked one night and had the generator running all night. (this was before reading the manual)

Should I be scared to have the generator running while we sleep? As it will be hot in the evening during our trip?

Thanks
51 REPLIES 51

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
MRUSA wrote:
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Please don't camp next to us while running your generator all night. We've been exposed to generator exhaust and noise upwind from us which is very unpleasant with our windows open. Many CG's or RV parks do not allow it. What's wrong with ceiling or room fans and open windows.

In Anacortes, WA, nothing. In Florida in August, there’s plenty wrong with it.

Are you kidding me and we once tried that in a PA rest area, in Aug.
Soap and towel was all that was needed, for a bath....lol
In FL, next to impossible.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Please don't camp next to us while running your generator all night. We've been exposed to generator exhaust and noise upwind from us which is very unpleasant with our windows open. Many CG's or RV parks do not allow it. What's wrong with ceiling or room fans and open windows.

In Anacortes, WA, nothing. In Florida in August, there’s plenty wrong with it.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

BriaBeck
Explorer
Explorer
RVER wrote:

Some people just think it is about them and them alone and be damned with quiet hours in a campground or wherever.

Some people just think it is all about them and them alone and be damned with having to know that another camper is staying cool with the AC running off of a generator that they can't even hear.
Brian and Becky

PrimeTime Avenger ATI 27RBS
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
My onboard generator is on for up to 5 days to keep the ac’s working while I boondock.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
RVER wrote:
EVEN WALMART has quiet hours for US, they can have trucks coming and going all night but we should abide by quiet hours wherever we are UNLESS it is unhealthy to do so, if it is 90degrees outside then A/C is important esp for elderly etc.IT is not the safest thing to sleep while the genset is running but if you have good CO monitors etc. I hope you wake up.
Some people just think it is about them and them alone and be damned with quiet hours in a campground or wherever.

Are you kidding me, many trucks in Walmart's are either idling all night long or running a refrigeration compressor or other. You just got to get away from them, at the other end of the lot, if it's a bother.
Actually, Walmart would be better served, by not allowing kids to be partying in the middle of their lots and in the middle of the night. This we've observed on more than one occasion, but I do get it, with some of these nowhere small towns, not offering much for entertainment.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
RVER wrote:
EVEN WALMART has quiet hours for US, they can have trucks coming and going all night but we should abide by quiet hours wherever we are UNLESS it is unhealthy to do so, if it is 90degrees outside then A/C is important esp for elderly etc.IT is not the safest thing to sleep while the genset is running but if you have good CO monitors etc. I hope you wake up.

Can anybody recall the last time they heard about bodies being found in an RV and it was the generators fault.

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
What's wrong with ceiling or room fans and open windows.

I know the answer to this one. Check your location and his location. Even home location you have to compare Washington vs Arizona.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
the silverback wrote:
Your neighbors will love you!!!!

I don't see the problem, my AC is louder than my generator.

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
Your neighbors will love you!!!!
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have run the genset over night many times. While working in New Orleans area after Hurricane Katrina, the generator ran for 9 days 24 hours a day. Sleep with the windows open? Oh heck no! It was still 80+ and 80% humidity at midnight!
The funniest story was the guy who came by my RV after spending a night in a Wal-Mart parking lot. We ran the generator all night and he came by in the morning and explained the "rules" that RVers should never run their generators after 9 or 10 PM as a courtesy to others. You will have to imagine the words I used to explain to this idiot just how poorly informed he was about the generator "rules" in a Wal-Mart parking lot.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dotcommer wrote:
We purchased a 2016 Class A Thor Challenger and I was going through the manual and it says to never run the generator while sleeping.

We have carbon monoxide detectors inside the RV, front and back and we will be boondocking on a few of the nights at Flying Jay's truck stops as we drive back to Arizona this week from the east coast.

We had the generator running while driving from Florida to Connecticut as it was hot during the day, and there seem to be no issues with the Generator and already boondocked one night and had the generator running all night. (this was before reading the manual)

Should I be scared to have the generator running while we sleep? As it will be hot in the evening during our trip?

Thanks

I have no qualms about our quiet diesel up front.
Not so sure about a clattering gas unit under my bed.
Either way, it's probably safe enough, with the detectors working probably.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Having taken a few years off from the road and living on a boat, I can tell you boat owners run their gensets without a thought when at anchor instead of a dock.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
RVER wrote:
THEY (THOR) probably knows that they did not vent the generator well and do not want you to use while sleeping since it can enter your rig and you would not know it. I would not do it and why would you? A/C at night? NO just open the windows and put wet face cloths on if need be but running the gen while sleeping is a bad idea for anyone and many places require you to shut them down at 10 pm anyway since they will keep up the whole area.

Really??? Come on down to Florida and try the windows and wet face cloths....

Al