Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bounder with with sudden electrical problems

RocketDog
Explorer
Explorer
Here we go, looking for help.
Our '05 Bounder has developed sudden electrical problems.
First off we are sitting in the Colorado high country, 9000' colder than a well diggers behind. We were looking forward to heading for Texas monday, to get out of the cold and take care of business. Things were going great, put the slides out to start packing. Well the slides wouldn't go in and none of the lights would come on. We had no power to any of the outlets in the compartments or to our residential refrigerator (don't ask). The remote EMS 900 monitor panel shows 50 amps, but the display that would normally show what is powered does a continuous W round robin. We had one battery that was frozen and the second one was extremely low. Put it on the charger, reinstalled it and the remote panel worked normal, and all the lights were working, however the slides still wouldn't come in. Picked up a new battery to replace the frozen one, brought it up to full charge, installed it. We are back to square one, no lights, no slide movement. We are 15 miles from town, no RV service there and nearly 70 miles away from the nearest shop, but then can't get it there with the slides out.

I'm looking for some direction, hints, etc. Would appreciate any help. If any more info is needed just ask, I'll do what I can. Thanks, and keep smiling!!:)
21 REPLIES 21

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Let us know what solution for other problem is/was!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RocketDog
Explorer
Explorer
To all who replied with ideas about getting our slides in, a great big thanks!!!! Didja ever have one of those "Oh, Duh!" moments, a real face palm?? In our frustration yesterday one of us released the parking brake and it was never reset. My wife happened to think of it at 2 am. Went out set the brake, started the engine, Voila!! slides came in. Now we can get out of here and down to civilization and try to get the other problem fixed. And yes keeping the tank full or nearly full is also some of the best advice. After almost 20 years of RVing I would have taken care of that.
Anyway, thanks again for all the help, it has ben appreciated.
Banshee2000

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
And another lesson learned:

Always fill the fuel tank before storing for the gen and it also helps to reduce condensation in the tank.

But now after using the current fuel change the fuel filter just in case you have excess water. And/or add a alcohol based product to absorb the water.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Get some gasoline into that tank....then crank the generator..and let it run hopefully and check for charging...I know that's easier said than done right now..
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
RocketDog wrote:
Here we go, looking for help.
Our '05 Bounder has developed sudden electrical problems.
First off we are sitting in the Colorado high country, 9000' colder than a well diggers behind. We were looking forward to heading for Texas monday, to get out of the cold and take care of business. Things were going great, put the slides out to start packing. Well the slides wouldn't go in and none of the lights would come on. We had no power to any of the outlets in the compartments or to our residential refrigerator (don't ask). The remote EMS 900 monitor panel shows 50 amps, but the display that would normally show what is powered does a continuous W round robin. We had one battery that was frozen and the second one was extremely low. Put it on the charger, reinstalled it and the remote panel worked normal, and all the lights were working, however the slides still wouldn't come in. Picked up a new battery to replace the frozen one, brought it up to full charge, installed it. We are back to square one, no lights, no slide movement. We are 15 miles from town, no RV service there and nearly 70 miles away from the nearest shop, but then can't get it there with the slides out.

I'm looking for some direction, hints, etc. Would appreciate any help. If any more info is needed just ask, I'll do what I can. Thanks, and keep smiling!!:)

Put your slides in manually and head for town with your problems, as this would probably be the best thing for now.
If you have POWERGEAR electrics, then just release the electric brake lever on the back of the motor and wrench it in with the square bar or you may find a hex nut for a socket and ratchet on the opposite end. All this should be in the basement compartments under the slides, except for the bedroom and it will be under the bed.
If you don't have this setup, then maybe someone with a like coach will chime in with the particulars.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

RocketDog
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw your post, I'll get after it as soon as the sn comes up and the temp along with it:) It'll be a bear to get to the charger/converter, it's buried under flexible heat ducts under the reefer ๐Ÿ˜ž

campingking
Explorer
Explorer
Just thinking....check all of the GFI oulets to see if one is tripped? I chased an electrical issue years ago for about 2 days and it was a GFI.

CampingKing

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of good help above. Two lessons:

1. Always mark wiring (including red and black tape as needed) and then take pictures before disassembly.

2. Always know how to retract slides before completing the purchase.

I have one backed up folder with many sub folders and files for all of the rig information. It's backed up at home and in the rig just in case of a PC issue.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Is your house battery voltage less than 13.2 volts?
If so can you run to a store and get a portable automatic battery charger?
Just put it direct on the house battery and let it rip. No need to disconnect anything.
Get 10 amps minimum, 20 to 40 amps would be better.

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Check Your Battery wiring. Your system gave you lights with the one battery. Looks like you lost it after you put the new battery in. Did you mix up your wires or blow a fuse?

MrWizard
House batteries froze, because they were discharged
What where they (2) 6v in series or (2) 12v in parallel
Did you replace one 6v with a 12v?
Did you get them wired back in the proper manner?
Very likely blew the main fuses, that could be mounted on the back of the converter
Most RV with a residential fridge, have an inverter, either stand alone or converter inverter combo, and the fridge is on that circuit, which may also be a gfi circuit no power if the gfi is tripped
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm, edit not working. Pulled up the '05 Bounder Owner's manual.

Tidbits from your owners manual:

In case of a power failure, the slide-out room can be
retracted manually. Be sure to understand the operation
section as explained in the slide-out systems
Operations Manual in the Owner's Information
Package.

For operation of the slide-out room the following is required:
- Park the RV and level it for stationary use.
- Ignition on (engine running)
- Transmission in park
- Parking brake engaged
- Slide-out key or switch activated

So it should work with the engine running.

And this ought to be the slide manual.
Manual retraction procedure on pages 2 and 3.
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
Most slides have provisions to manually retract them. Do that, drive for some gas, or whatever you want to do.
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
It's time for some meter readings. Please you are plugged in, but the batteries are not charging. Check at the converter output terminals, check at the battery.

I once had a weak negative terminal at the converter that fed the battery. The battery literally died because the screw was loose at the converter. If you have voltage at the converter output, the converter is OK.. but if it doesn't get to the battery you have loose wiring.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel