cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Braking Conundrum

Sonny54
Explorer II
Explorer II
God willing, my wife and I plan to purchase our first Class A next year. We've done tons of research and know what we want as far as size, layout, etc. We think we might prefer diesel over gas. The problem is: I have never operated an air brake, and I have no idea at all about how it works. I don't wish to buy, then learn, and that would make us lean toward a gas coach.

Perhaps someone can relieve my ignorance here. 🙂
119 REPLIES 119

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
slickest1 wrote:

If you don't think a DP operator should know the basics of what they are driving then why do commercial drivers need that?.

Because they are hauling about 100,000 pounds more than we do, all day every day, in a much more complicated vehicle.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
slickest1 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
All you need to know about airbrakes.

Now that is good info for the OP to read over !!!

The training received in reading that, was probably more training than required to mash the pedal. 🙂

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
slickest1 wrote:
From what I read on your link to the combine forum was they were pulled into a scale in CALIFORNIA and the TRUCK and TRAILER they were hauling a combine on had a brake inspection and 1 brake was out of adjustment.

You only read the top response - Post 16 refers to the 6 pack, and it was in Canada -

@Todd:

We're trained to do a six-pack, and a 4-in-1, here in Canada.

The 4-in-1 is a leak-test. You make a full brake application for 1 minute and watch that you don't loose more than 4psi air pressure.

The six-pack is done right after, and it's basically six brake applications of a minimum of 90psi, to adjust the slack adjusters.

They actually adjust during the application process - not once they're pushed up against the drums...

Just figured I'd put in my $0.02

-Christian

Evidently the rules are NOT the same on both sides of the border. I can't find anything referring to performing a 6-pack in the US other than Bud Light. Again, you Northern folks shouldn't use a Northern term as a means to measure our intelligence on air brakes if no one here has ever heard of it.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:

Now that is good info for the OP to read over !!!
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
From what I read on your link to the combine forum was they were pulled into a scale in CALIFORNIA and the TRUCK and TRAILER they were hauling a combine on had a brake inspection and 1 brake was out of adjustment.

The rules are the same for the trucking industry on both sides of the border.
Yes the rules for Motorhomes are different in Canada and you are required to have an air endorsement on your drivers licence and your licence will be appropriate for the weight of your RV. You don't require a full CDL.
My wife inquired about getting certified and it was a 7 hr course at a commercial driving school for $200. The term 6 pack adjustment may be confusing but if you google air brake adjustment I am sure you will get an answer.

If you don't think a DP operator should know the basics of what they are driving then why do commercial drivers need that?

I have read many posts on here of people asking questions that have absolutely no knowledge of what they are driving and some of the answers they get are even more frightening.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
It's called DENIAL!! I also don't understand the attitude. It is no big deal to to understand your system. When it comes to vehicle air systems there is no such thing as maintenance free. take your unit to a GOOD truck repair center and ask them if the air system is maintenance free. Better yet stop at a scale and ask the DOT officer! There are hundreds of feet of air brake lines with unions, governor, tees, check valves, regulators, air chambers and moving parts. The leveling system on your coach runs on air and it too can go south causing a loss of air. Do you know how to do a 6 pack? Have you ever done a leak down test?? The S cams on a drum brake system require greasing that involves removing the wheel and drum. The simple tests I mentioned can be done from the driver's seat by any lay person.

Moisheh

Any mechanical system can fail at any given time, It doesn't require a engineering degree to understand that.
The airbrake system on our coaches is dependent upon air pressure, when it goes away the brakes are applied. this is known as a fail safe system. anything that fails the brakes go on. not off.
The only exception to that is when the pads/shoes are totally worn out. and anyone with half a brain will know, long before it comes dangerous.
That metal to metal scraping sound is a big clue.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Wow - this thread has really gotten hostile!

So I see 6-pack thrown out twice as an air brake intelligence litmus test. I had no idea what a 6-pack is, but do you think after 10 pages of gnashing at the teeth, name calling, and throwing rocks across borders or an 80 page manual being tossed around that anyone would explain it? Heck no - I had to find it here in some farmers forum:

Combine Fourm

Looks like even in the Combine world the 6-pack is a Canuck thing so why would the rest of us know what that is if its not an international term? Gee-zoots - are you guys trying to actually help anyone here or just chastise them?

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
slickest1 wrote:
OK, you can live in your bubble!!

I have near 80 years, I learned to drive truck on a 1954 Brockway And every morning we had a virtual ritual of doing things that are now automated.
If Canada requires you to know all this, that's all well and good, we don't.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Wow - this thread has really gotten hostile!

So I see 6-pack thrown out twice as an air brake intelligence litmus test. I had no idea what a 6-pack is, but do you think after 10 pages of gnashing at the teeth, name calling, and throwing rocks across borders or an 80 page manual being tossed around that anyone would explain it? Heck no - I had to find it here in some farmers forum:

Combine Fourm

Looks like even in the Combine world the 6-pack is a Canuck thing so why would the rest of us know what that is if its not an international term? Gee-zoots - are you guys trying to actually help anyone here or just chastise them?
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
It's called DENIAL!! I also don't understand the attitude. It is no big deal to to understand your system. When it comes to vehicle air systems there is no such thing as maintenance free. take your unit to a GOOD truck repair center and ask them if the air system is maintenance free. Better yet stop at a scale and ask the DOT officer! There are hundreds of feet of air brake lines with unions, governor, tees, check valves, regulators, air chambers and moving parts. The leveling system on your coach runs on air and it too can go south causing a loss of air. Do you know how to do a 6 pack? Have you ever done a leak down test?? The S cams on a drum brake system require greasing that involves removing the wheel and drum. The simple tests I mentioned can be done from the driver's seat by any lay person.

Moisheh

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
This website has an explanation of air brakes. I haven't read through all 10 pages of this tread so sorry if was previously posted. I can't imagine anyone who operates a coach with air brakes not understanding this system. https://faculty.mccneb.edu/dlpartner/Documents/Air%20Brake%20Manual.pdf
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
OK, you can live in your bubble!!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
slickest1 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
Reading the last 3 posts, one would have to believe they don't have their coaches maintained regularly.
It doesn't get scary until when the pedal is pushed and the coach doesn't stop.

My point exactly! I just hope I am not in front of you when that happens. You can maintain your coach as well as you want but by some of your responses it makes me wonder.
In case you wonder yes I am licenced to maintain air systems and set brakes.
RV's are not required to stop at scales in Canada.

I don't understand why you would argue the information that myself and others suggested to the OP.

Simply because this is 2016 the airbrakes we have now are near as you can get to maintenance free. My coach has auto purging tanks, automatic slack adjusters, and is on scheduled maintenance program. you needn't fear me or my coach or its ability to stop.

The modern coach isn't the old over the road tractor that most of these training requirements came from nor do they deserve the fear mongering that has been shown here.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Reading the last 3 posts, one would have to believe they don't have their coaches maintained regularly.
It doesn't get scary until when the pedal is pushed and the coach doesn't stop.

My point exactly! I just hope I am not in front of you when that happens. You can maintain your coach as well as you want but by some of your responses it makes me wonder.
In case you wonder yes I am licenced to maintain air systems and set brakes.
RV's are not required to stop at scales in Canada.

I don't understand why you would argue the information that myself and others suggested to the OP.