cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Braking Conundrum

Sonny54
Explorer II
Explorer II
God willing, my wife and I plan to purchase our first Class A next year. We've done tons of research and know what we want as far as size, layout, etc. We think we might prefer diesel over gas. The problem is: I have never operated an air brake, and I have no idea at all about how it works. I don't wish to buy, then learn, and that would make us lean toward a gas coach.

Perhaps someone can relieve my ignorance here. 🙂
119 REPLIES 119

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Gib3633 wrote:
Just to keep things lively . What do you know about the Wedge Brake System and the DD3 used on Prevost.
It sort of reminds me of the people practicing herbal medicine because they know more than Medical Doctors. If it's cheap it has to be better.

I know it must work when I de-press the pedal, that is why I had a professional mechanic that does this type of maintenance, maintain it.

Sounds like you got it covered! Like I said before happy travels.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Our first DP (1993 Foretravel U240) had air wedge drum brakes. No problems in over 150,000 miles. They were very popular in European medium duty vehicles (and still may be-- I have no idea if they are still used).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Gib3633 wrote:
Just to keep things lively . What do you know about the Wedge Brake System and the DD3 used on Prevost.
It sort of reminds me of the people practicing herbal medicine because they know more than Medical Doctors. If it's cheap it has to be better.

I know it must work when I de-press the pedal, that is why I had a professional mechanic that does this type of maintenance, maintain it.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get all of that wa8yxm. If we were still anywhere near the OP's question that would not make any difference at all.

The problem is: I have never operated an air brake, and I have no idea at all about how it works. I don't wish to buy, then learn, and that would make us lean toward a gas coach.

He does not need to shy away from a DP just because it has air brakes.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Why would I care how to adjust them. That's why I have my coach serviced by professionals.

As I do my car (And coach) however let me tell you two stories, both true.

Car (Brakes) had excessive pedal travel, Dealer no less, Factory trained, looked at it 3 times could not figure out the cause. Finally I put my mind to the job.. Now understand I was not under the car, I was a good hundred yards away at a desk.. I visualized the barking system (Which I know well) and suddenly a great light dawned.. Next morning I pulled in to the tire/brakes/muffler/oil change shop and when I pulled out they were like new.. I had diagnosed and solved the problem.

Small engine repair, professionals, worked on a piece of gear we used in my ladder monkey days... Only now it was very hard to start...

Turns out they forgot to tighten a couple of bolts.. I properly positioned the magneto, and tightened the mounting bolts, and .. Well a short time later I'm watching a kid pull pull pull for liek 30 minutes on that lawn mower rope trying to start it.. I reached down, flipped the shorting bar off the spark plug, Took just two fingers and pulled the cord.. Sent the box of nails up to my boss on the roof, shut down and climbed back up and commenced to nailing shingles.

So the moral: If you know how to do the job yourself. THEN you know if the professional did it right.... or not. And many have not.

This includes the folks who replaced the brakes on my Brother's SEMI trailer once.. Like me Brother knows how to do the job. but he did not supervise so it was done wrong.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Not that it makes any difference but I have drums all around. I know how they both work. You push the pedal and the bus stops. I even understand the difference in the design of the 2 systems but knowing that doesn't help me stop either. It's still all about the pressure on the brake pedal that makes me stop.
I know much more about my coach than I need to explain here as the OP was scared to drive a coach with air brakes and my response was accurate and welcoming. Get in the coach and go drive. That's all he needs to know about driving that kind of coach for the first time. With time, he will learn more just like the rest of us.

Exactly!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
slickest1 wrote:
I could tell you how but you don't seem to know the difference between drum and disc. brakes. I can turn things you say the same way you turn mine.

I answered the OP with some fairly sound advice in my first post and you and a couple others seem threatened by that. I really don't see how your posts are helpful.
There are some very helpful people on this forum and the there are others.

my posts point out the Airbrakes are not some kind of black magic that requires a lot of training to operate. When you have the system serviced regularly by professionals you are good to stop.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not that it makes any difference but I have drums all around. I know how they both work. You push the pedal and the bus stops. I even understand the difference in the design of the 2 systems but knowing that doesn't help me stop either. It's still all about the pressure on the brake pedal that makes me stop.
I know much more about my coach than I need to explain here as the OP was scared to drive a coach with air brakes and my response was accurate and welcoming. Get in the coach and go drive. That's all he needs to know about driving that kind of coach for the first time. With time, he will learn more just like the rest of us.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
I could tell you how but you don't seem to know the difference between drum and disc. brakes. I can turn things you say the same way you turn mine.

I answered the OP with some fairly sound advice in my first post and you and a couple others seem threatened by that. I really don't see how your posts are helpful.
There are some very helpful people on this forum and the there are others.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why would I care how to adjust them. That's why I have my coach serviced by professionals.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
slickest1 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
slickest1 wrote:
OK, you can live in your bubble!!

I have near 80 years, I learned to drive truck on a 1954 Brockway And every morning we had a virtual ritual of doing things that are now automated.
If Canada requires you to know all this, that's all well and good, we don't.

That is very obvious!

What ever Slick, you go for it.Tell us how to adjust the "S" cams and slack adjusters on the disk brake airbrake systems

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
slickest1 wrote:
OK, you can live in your bubble!!

I have near 80 years, I learned to drive truck on a 1954 Brockway And every morning we had a virtual ritual of doing things that are now automated.
If Canada requires you to know all this, that's all well and good, we don't.

That is very obvious!

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
I thought my post might recreate some interest and it did. Tom and Barb posted a nice theory story about how the system works but I didn't see a chart for the various size brake chambers and their allowable stroke . If you don't know the values and the procedure for checking your particular stroke travel which most likely are different from front and rear axle , then you can't possibly understand the concerns of those who know what some of us are referring to.
Another personal observation on my own truck which is equipped with Meritor auto slacks was that EP2 grease was too heavy and they wouldn't adjust automatically. Meritors require EP1.
No you aren't required to cross the scales in Canada with a Motor Home but that is no exemption from having an unsafe vehicle whether you know it or not. California and Florida are two states that I know of that do not require an air brake endorsement and they are legal to drive in Canada if they are legal in the state they are licensed in. However as mentioned that is no excuse anywhere for an unsafe vehicle.
I wouldn't be too surprised if many of the ridiculous comments are coming from people who don't own an air brake vehicle such as "All you need to know is mash the brake peddle"
I'm not sure what that would do for you if you lost air pressure at 60 mph in an emergency stop or brakes out of adjustment.
The OP asked a question and I hope some of the somewhat vague answers created enough interest to answer for himself.
We can't put a two day course of classroom and hands on practical training on
here.
Incidentally the practical part of the test is to be performed once each day the vehicle takes to the road and a written form completed and signed by driver.
Many truckers sign the book and go as well and that is why they get in trouble at the scale or road side check
In ending If you don't know you can't check and you can't check if you don't know.
Good Luck and Merry Christmas to all.