cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

buying a class c

golfnuts
Explorer
Explorer
I am buying a forester 3011 or a grayhawk 29mv need opinions on both,or any comments on each brand.Buying in a week.like both brands
11 REPLIES 11

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
OP question is about a forester or a Jayco, go with the best floor plan for U and the longest wheel base. If equal on both, than qutt feeling or Jayco.
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
The Greyhawk has power seats and nicer materials inside. More storage underneath as well, also the one piece front cap is a plus.
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Space and "economy" defines the class C rvs plus ease/expense of maintenance. Class As are really nice but DPs are expensive to work on plus parts. Just my 2cts based on talking with some A owners. Do your own research and remember you're the one writing the check. Good luck.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
to me a Class C (B+ orwhatever) reminds me of being confined in a van or pickup truck. whereas in my Class As I would relax in my large comfy captain's seat.
bumpy

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
we are looking at class c preferably the B+ versions. The class c is a sail in headwinds and will quickly run out of a-- in one. Then add a towed vehicle and you are at max capability and mpg will suffer greatly. Just like a pu with a slide in. The b+ is a little more aerodynamic this will also suffer but not all the sins of a true c. anyhow as to an A well its all personal choice as you can see. I drive a school bus and in places it is NOT FUN, now to try to have fun and drive one NO WAY. Now even with a c/b+ there will be times its not fun, but it is easier to transition to a cab type of vehicle than it is in an A. Biggest hazard in long c's and A's is tail swing. that is the pivot point being the tires and the long rear overhand will lead to the tail going over the line into either oncoming traffic or the traffic lines turning away from. We are looking at 28-30 ft, much like a medium school conventional bus. Only thing I see is that the drivers compartments are fairly primitive. Oh decent seats but tend to leave the little things out like fully adjustable seats, some dont even have power mirrors, door locks or back up cameras and still they want in the high dollar realms. Ones with all including level jacks, air assist rear bags are in the 6 figure range new. When I asked why one sales guy said you "dont drive these long distances, you drive and then park so you dont need the nicer driver compartment. If ya do get an A"! Anyhow like I said there are pluses and minus for each type, but the biggest negative on the c is the lack of outdoor storage for the most part and the lack of a nice driver compartment. Overall size is another factor, where ya gonna park when not traveling? The A's are generally at least 1 ft taller than a c. and run the same basic running gear as a c, just on a longer wheel base.

So it all boils down to what you are comfortable with. We train new drivers for a minimum of 20 hrs to learn how to drive the large buses and operate all the air brakes etc. Still many have problems and they have been coached, your experieance may vary but still..........

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Class A versus Class C, mostly a matter of taste and intended useage. Some like the huge expanse of windshield in an A, some prefer the shade of an overhead bunk in a C. Some think a C is easier to have serviced and has greater head on collison protection. My prejudice is that a larger A is better for a mature couple that are mostly interested in touring. A 27 foot or longer C is more for family camping, casual use for local events, and occasional touring. Try driving and simulate living in both types. Don't be over-awed by size.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
which one has a rubber roof? buy the other one.
bumpy

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
Both are from good companies. The daughter wanted a Class C when she and her twin brother asked for a MH at the age of 9. She just wanted the cab over bed for her private domain. ๐Ÿ™‚

We were on a deal for one 1100 miles away that was 1987 I think when a six year newer Class A popped up for less money and only 100 miles away. If you have never owned a MH you should be happy with a class C.

Not knowing anything we stayed with a standard brand chassis and one that did not require a loan. It has been a great experience but not dirt cheap. The kids are now 16 and less interested but we did cover a lot of the US in it. Did one 8000K mile trip to the Pacific Ocean for 31 days in Sep/Oct of 2011.

Pick one that would work for you. On this site as you know we are going to tell you to buy what we bought. :B

Dtbow22
Explorer
Explorer
We did a great deal of looking and ended up with a class c Sunseeker 3170dsf...went for bunk model to have more storage and extra seat belts..also gravitated to the structural aspects

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Neither one. When we moved from a fifth wheel we thought we were going to a class c. But after sitting in the front seats of several we realized how crowded and cramped it was. My CEO/Navigator likes being able to move from the cab to the living area while I'm driving and she found it difficult if not impossible in the c. Sit in the living room or dining area and try to see out the windshield of the c then look out the huge front picture window in a class a. There's no comparison. There is usually much more storage in a class a compared to the class c. Some will want a class c because it is smaller and can get into more campgrounds. But, because of the hood/engine area a class a can be the same size with more room inside. And finally, the class a's we looked at did not cost much more than a class c.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

What is the wheel base to length ratio on each?

What is the gross weight and carrying (towing) capacity on each?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.