cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

buying class c

Old_Dude
Explorer
Explorer
we are moving from a tt to a class c, we want a 30 ft,what i would like is for honest opinions on what you like and dislike about yours and would you by yours again. thanks for all your help.
Mark O'Connell
14 REPLIES 14

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Our opinions on class A's vs Class C's: Class A's have massive windshields that let in too much glare and heat, expensive to replace, no shade from the overhead as with a Class C. Service/repair not always available on a Class A's, more available on Class C. Not as much protection in a front end collision in a Class A. Large Class A's limited to resort-type RV parks, seem out of place in primitive campsites and public parks, event parking lots. Other than above, a 27-30 foot Class A or Class C can have similar floor plans and sleeping accomodations. Generally, Class A's appeal to couples and Class C's to families.
Some Class A's may have better ride than Class C's.

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was an informative article in this forum not long ago. I think the thread was titled "class c's do they all leak". A guy named Ron Ditmer?? posted some useful info on purchasing class c campers.

Shadow57
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased ours in signature last July have been nothing but happy with it. I'm with your wife on the big windshield and reading about some of the repair bills scared me from ever wanting a Class A. We also have a diesel truck I know how much more old changes and maintenance cost. We have never been Ford fans but I sure like that there are many dealers with parts if needed.

I would like it to be a little fancier and not such a box, but we find it has lots of storage. My dogs & I love it and don't have so much invested we feel bad if it's not being used. Hope it lasts us many more years.
2017 Forest River Forester 3051S

2014 Ram DRW 3500 Laramie Crew Cab

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a 29 foot Dutchmen and love it for a first RV. Like rear bed and separate toilet and shower.no slides but has enough space, windows and storage space for our needs. never enjoyed pulling or backing up trailers. As we get more experienced with handling we will decide on toad.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Got our 2007 Winnebago 29B from an owner that cared about taking care of it, 18,000 miles. We like it has the entertainment over the cab, we did not need another sleeping area. It has 2 slides, couch and bedroom, queen walk around bed. It was and is just right for the two of us and the German Shepherd dog. Wife does drive sometimnes and she likes that it is small enough that it does not make her nervous when in traffic. So far the few improvements I've done have only made it better. Added the new 32" flat screen, replaced the sliding glass shower doors with a shower screen. Added front and rear Hellwig sway bars and the ScanGage for keeping an eye on the engine temps. I tow a SRX Cadillac with the Blue-Ox system and the SMI braking unit. Very pleased with the whole set up.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Damon Challenger 36โ€™ before this class C. The wonderful view was not worth the heat when driving. Even with the air conditioner on and the small fans up front. Plus the dash AC going. I found myself pulling over and taking a nap during the day.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
You can't carry much with a 30ft class c.
I can carry a small motorcycle on the rear of my
E450 26ft Tioga. Don't have to tow a car.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
I,d buy a rv that had a solid roof, they leak less, born free would be a good choice.I,d also get one with a small diesel engine, gas will not al ways be cheap.

I looked for diesels, none available. Diesel and gas stay pretty close in price. My 09 Itasca Cambria is nice. I have the entertainment center instead of the overhead bunk also.

I would purchase again but the model with two slides in the front and one in the back. I think it's 3 feet longer than mine.

Old_Dude
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
I had 2 class C's and both leaked between the cab and the unit. I would recommend you looking at a small class A. I bought a Thor Vegas and love it. You can privet message me if you like.
we were looking at class a,but my wife does not like the front window when driving down the road.(bad case of fear of hight),so we need a class c just incase she has to drive,I'm still working on it.
Mark O'Connell

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 31' Itasca class c that we love. It has an entertainment center so doesn't have the overhead bunk, so no windows, no leaks. 1 slide which is couch and dinette. Ducted AC and heat, sealed and heated basement, fore and aft queen bed that uses a gel memory foam bed. Awnings on every window, levelers and satellite dish on roof. Whats not to like. We'd buy it again in a minute.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I like mine, see sig. The cab over is a great storage place. The third time I raise a knee to get in I am inside. There is 100cf of outside storage in the back. The AC unit cycles on & off with temps in the mid-nineties and high humidity. With the addition of a Safe-T-Plus and increasing the castor. Wind and big rigs are not a problem. At first look the bathroom sucks. But when I realized the door locks open becoming a privacy screen there is lots of room. I like no slides.

I wish I had seen the kitchen layout of some of the 27โ€™ rentals for sale before I bought. They have better counter space. The generator is very noisy when outside. Inside you barely know it is running.

When I travel it is just me and the Irish Poodle.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you buy, recommend it has rear bedroom with fore and aft RV queen bed with access on both sides (or),second choice, twin beds. You will probably also have convertible sofa or dinette and overhead bunk for kids. With a 30 footer you may not need slides. Our fridge, roof AC, converter/charger and two 6-volt T-105 batteries needed replacement at around 10 years old. Tires should be replaced when older than 5-6 years old regardless of appearance or tread depth. Have engine cooling system and brakes serviced as needed. Buy 3-5 years old if used and have rig inspected by pro truck mechanic and a trusted pro RV repair and get estimates for replacements or repairs including parts and labor. Read "stickies" and recent advice threads on this forum. If any smell of mold or water stains in ceiling, do not buy.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,d buy a rv that had a solid roof, they leak less, born free would be a good choice.I,d also get one with a small diesel engine, gas will not al ways be cheap.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
I had 2 class C's and both leaked between the cab and the unit. I would recommend you looking at a small class A. I bought a Thor Vegas and love it. You can privet message me if you like.
Dennis Hoppert