cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying old RV

justinnnutt
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to look at a 1984 cross country chevy motorhome. The owner lives in it and says he hasn't driven it in 10 months. The guy is asking $3500. My question is if I can't get it inspected by mechanic and I'm able to get for maybe $2500 ((the guy has to move soon), is that a reasonable price where i can then do all the maintenance and repairs to get it road ready? I'm looking for advice. Thanks!
20 REPLIES 20

Patrol_65
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1984 Sportscoach Pathfinder with a 454 cid Chevy engine on a P30 chassis. The only problem that I had experienced with it was roof leaks around the air conditioners which ended up causing its demise. When I purchased the unit, the unit was in excellent shape for a 20 year old vehicle, but after my work schedule changed the unit sat for about 5 years before I noticed the extensive water damage. The new owner got a good deal (free) on his fixer upper. The only problem chassis wise was the brakes were dragging after sitting for 5 years. The tires looked good but would need replacing after sitting 5 years in one spot. The amazing part was that he started it and drove off with a full tank of 5 year old gas with no Sta-bil. That old Chevy did not miss or sputter as it drove away.
Nathan and Linda
KF4GYL
2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U Ford Triton V10 F53 Banks Power Pack

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check some of the lower priced mobile home parks. There are often decent older mobile homes in that price range already set up leaving you with $300-$400 month rent.
Fix it up a little and resell it for a small profit in a year or so.

Or a travel trailer and pay to have it set up in a cheap campground that allows permanents.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

justinnnutt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I definately will not be buying a cheap old Rv.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
justinnnutt wrote:
I should mention I'm looking for something cheap to live in for about a year due to a separation. But after that I don't want the rv to be worthless. But after researching it seems like old rv's (not well maintained) are worthless.

You would be better off renting an apartment for a year about $600-$800/month, because that is the total amount (at least) that you will have to put in this to get it running. And that doesn't include any interior repairs.

I might consider giving him $500 for it.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I would say if the intent is to live in it (presumably not move it around a lot) then you're better of finding a trailer. Pick a spot to park it in and pay someone to move it to your location.

The trouble with a motorhome is you have twice the expense. The home part and the drive part. I'm sorry but an old motorhome is not for someone that's "not mechanical". Based you being okay with interior and/or appliance repairs I think a trailer would be perfect.

Allllllll that being said, I have a 1984 Allegro that I bought with no engine for $200. Long story short, I replaced the engine myself and it turned out to be a pretty good investment. It had sat in a tow yard for 6 years but cleaned up nice and everything works. BUT it always needs something mechanically - it's over 30-years-old. Low-mileage doesn't mean a lot when the rig is decades old. Again, if I were looking for something to live in on a budget I'd look for a trailer.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you look harder and find a 1990 or newer unit with fuel injection and overdrive transmission. Those improvements will enhance the drive ability and make the unit easier to sell when you are done with it. As rgatijnet1 states, many major mechanical problems can render the purchase valueless and you might want to go the trailer route if your main goal is to live in it. You can always hire someone to move a trailer for you.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The problem with a coach of that age is IF a major drive train component goes bad, like the engine or transmission, the value of the coach can quickly go to close to zero, regardless of how the interior looks or the other systems perform.
Rebuilding the engine will not increase the value of the coach, even tho it will cost thousands. Rebuilding the transmission will not increase the value of the coach and again, can cost thousands with zero return on that expense.
For the one year you plan on living in it, buy a trailer and have someone deliver it to your parking place if you do not want to buy a used truck. A trailer usually depreciates to a bottom figure and stays there.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
At that age, it is really difficult to say how much a motorhome is worth, and when it has been sitting, what it takes to get one road ready. That also depends on how you plan to use it, occasional short trips or extended travel, and how reliable you expect it to be.

I know two people who bought motorhomes past the 30 year mark recently, both Winnebago, one an old 24 foot Brave, the other a 36 foot Chieftain. The Brave was $300, it runs well enough for 50-200 mile weekend trips, the house is structurally sound and doesn't leak, but the systems in the house are pretty much a rebuild or replace project. The Chieftain was $800 from an estate sale, it is in Good+ condition, everything works, it runs well enough for local trips, but for extended trips it should have new tires, suspension and brake work, and probably a cooling system flush, replacement of belts and hoses, and maybe a transmission service (fluid changes and adjustments).

My own MH is 11 years old, I've been using it locally, I replaced tires before my last extended trip ($1200 five years ago), repaired brakes two years ago ($800), but I would expect to spend another $1200-$2000 to get it ready for a long trip, because it has spent too much time sitting.

Depending on your budget for service or repairs, and how you want to use it, a price of FREE might be too high, because it could need $5000 or more worth of work. If the RV is in top shape for its age, and already in condition for extended travel, it just might be worth $2500, because that is about the floor price for motorhomes in really good usable and road ready condition.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

justinnnutt
Explorer
Explorer
I should mention I'm looking for something cheap to live in for about a year due to a separation. But after that I don't want the rv to be worthless. But after researching it seems like old rv's (not well maintained) are worthless.

justinnnutt
Explorer
Explorer
I don't mind if the inside is not good. I'm concerned with system repairs that will cost $$$ and/or I cannot do. I can do the interior repairs and replace appliances if needed. But I don't want to buy something that needs work only a mechanic can do. I'm not mechanical , but I'm willing to learn to do some work.

justinnnutt
Explorer
Explorer
I don't mind if the inside is not good. I'm concerned with system repairs that will cost $$$ and/or I cannot do. I can do the interior repairs and replace appliances if needed. But I don't want to buy something that needs work only a mechanic can do. I'm not mechanical , but I'm willing to learn to do some work.

Explorer
Explorer
Driven and started are two different things. It may not have been started in 10 months. Not good.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked at a nice '98 newmar. It has new brakes, New tires, a residential refrigerator and there isn't a dent on it. That's the driveway look over. Today we got to go inside to see what happens when a grandson lives in a MH for 11 months. Grandpa wants 35,000 and there are dirty close and old food everywhere. All the upholstery is shot, ripped leather, ripped carpet and it stinks. I would have paid that for it because it has maintenance records and books BUT it isn't worth fixing in my opinion.
Do you want it to run good or be livable?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may be better off with a truck and trailer. At least you will have a vehicle you can use while you work on the trailer, if it needs work. The truck will also be easier to repair than a motor home.