cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buzzing from Power Transformer /Converter Charger!

aztecaa
Explorer
Explorer
It has been 6 years since i have been connected to shore power. I have been running off solar and using the generator off and on for the past 6 years.
I recently plugged into shore power 30 Amp service.
My converter is buzzing quite loudly... it has been doing so for some time. Is the converter actually going bad? It seems to be louder than I remember 6 years ago, though that may just be in my head. Regardless, it doesn't sound "normal" Any suggestions would be great. thanks!

Additional Details

1. The Power Transformer is behind the bottom kitchen drawer and I can hear it buzzing.
2. The Converter Charger 50 Amp is behind the circuit breakers under the Refrigerator and i can also hear it buzzing.
Not sure if they are both buzzing or one in vibrating through the floor to the other.
1994 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37' 460 Engine
2 Solar panels
2005 Four Winds Express Lite 25'
16 REPLIES 16

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well it hums cause it done forgot the lyrics.

Seriously,, COnverters come in two basic types, Transformer and Switching. Some are good, some not (And it does not matter which of those two types, what matters is what follows the transformer if it has one).

Transformers are made by winding two or more coils of wire over a common iron core.. This core is made up not of one solid hunk of iron but of many iron leaves, each leaf is varnished before assembly.

Over time the varnish dries, hardens and flakes away.

This allows the leaves to move, releative to each other, Which they do big time when subjected to an alternating magnetic field, as they are in a transformer.

There are basically three things you can do.

1: Ignore it (or figure out a way to muffle it)

2: Replace the transformer

3: Upgrade the converter to a switching converter.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does it do it with the gen and solar or both?