cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping Overnight at Airport Parking Lot

PeteCo
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone ever used an airport parking lot to camp overnight, or for several nights while visiting a city? Any problems?

Seems like a great place for a large city since many cities don't have RV parks close-by. Also, public transportation is usually available to take you downtown to see the sights.

Pete
2006 Roadtrek 210P
Gspeed
25 REPLIES 25

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
Airports may be free, but I stayed at Indiana state fair grounds as well for a fee. We actually have an RV park here in Milwaukee RV park open all year, all kinds of facilities.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Most airport parking lots are fairly expensive, and not very quiet at night.

Not to mention the airplanes taking off and landing....
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you park in the daily-weekly rate parking lot and not the hourly parking lot. Either way, it might be cheaper to stay at Wall Mart.

PeteCo
Explorer
Explorer
I should have included in my original post that I would think the "camping" or "boondocking" would have to be in a stealth mode, which a Class B is perfect for.

I was thinking about Washington DC and Reagan Airport. I'm thinking a Home Depot or church parking lot might be harder to get away with in the DC area. I have also thought about the Metro parking lot, but some of those say no overnight parking.

Pete
2006 Roadtrek 210P
Gspeed

Yaj
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed over night at several small rural airports, similar to our small strip in Hartford. We have never had any problems, been checked by local LEO's and told to have fun!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never stayed at a large airport, but boondock at small ones often if I need to get in early at a popular CG in the area. I go in and ask how much to tie down and often they say they did not hear me fly in... good for a laugh and a free night's stay.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:

Seriously?:h:R

He's in a van, not a fifth wheel.

I was wondering the same thing after reading the Class B forum this week about the poster who was glad he had his van to use in the LAX parking lot after the shooting shut the place down and his flight was canx.

We live in the boonies and often have to drive three hours and spend the night at Raleigh airport motels before very early departures and after very late returns....just wondering if the van might be an option myself.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
PeteCo wrote:
Anyone ever used an airport parking lot to camp overnight, or for several nights while visiting a city? Any problems?

Seems like a great place for a large city since many cities don't have RV parks close-by. Also, public transportation is usually available to take you downtown to see the sights.

Pete
2006 Roadtrek 210P

Seriously?:h:R
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Neverhappy
Explorer
Explorer
When visiting London ...I park and sleep at Luton airport..no problem
I also stayed at Liverpool airport & Newcastle airport
I keep a low profile and blinds shut
Y2K Silverado Whipple Supercharger,SuperSprings Airlifts
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
77 Chevy 1 Ton C30 (I love this truck)
Chinook Concourse Y2K V10 (Europe)
Roadtrek 190 popular Chevy (USA)
Great West Vans class C 94 (only 4 made)

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Most airport parking lots are fairly expensive, and not very quiet at night. Yes there will be travelers all night long.

I would rather be at a Home Depot, or a local Church, unless it is Saturday night, I don't like getting blocked in on Sunday mornings. A Jr. High school is pretty quiet most Saturday nights.

Try this website. FreeCampgrounds.com They list free places to dry camp, or nearly free. Some are a parking lot for a tire shop, but the ones I like best are BLM lands, or Federal Parks that can be free.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I've thought about it, but I'd check to see if there are any overnight restrictions. I'm sure some airports have security that bristles at the thought of people staying in their parking lot. It can't hurt to make sure the parking is a surface lot, and you are not stuck on a one way road into a garage (well, unless you want a convertible that is.)