cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping Weird er World...

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Been thinking about down sizing from an 'A' to a smaller 'C'. Been looking at some at CW but would like you guys and gals to respond to this: They 'CW' have price placards in each unit with the price(s) marked. In all cases, they have a higher price marked out with a considerably lower price below marked 'sale'. One I've looked at has the marked out sale price of $85,299 and the sale price...$59,950. I suspect that the real MSRP is the lower one and that they are playing games trying to make customers believe they are getting a real 'sale deal'. Probably, some people would pay the lower price thinking they got a real deal. There are gullible people among us...and they vote! Now if the $59K price is the real price...how much lower do you think they will go? What should I offer?
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
25 REPLIES 25

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I see a lot of folks slamming the CW service but I wouldn't let that keep me from getting a good deal and taking my service elsewhere.
2013 ACE 29.2

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Run, don't walk, straight out of Camping World. Very bad after the sale reputation. Seems none of their techs know how to do anything correctly on a RV.

Check with RVServicereviews.com and see if their repair shop is listed there. That may give you some insight.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Dang $59k is the price for just a 35 series pickup now days.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Marked down prices admit the higher price is over priced and if they could sell for the higher price they would do so. Business are in business to make a profit. Charity organizations exist to help people.

The sale prices reflect more the market value not the wished for price.

The value price is what the seller and buyer agree upon.

rv_bill-e
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, this retailer (NOT RVs) must tell you that customers require such games. Everyone has been conditioned to only buying at a discount or "sale" price to the point that customers get angry if you don't show some kind of sale. Since everything is always on sale, just ignore that fact and proceed with comparing prices. Some need that inflated list price to feel good about their purchase, and even those who don't really believe it will show their friends the sticker and talk about what a great discount they got. It's hard to let go of a lot of money. Most of us need a little emotional encouragement, and that is all that this is.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every dealer of every type of vehicle, RV, boat, house or anything else sells stuff like this. Most buyers don't want to pay sticker price. There is an expectation that you'll get a discount from sticker. So they all price them high knowing good and well people want to negotiate for something lower.

There have been a few brands that went against this theory and the biggest one I know of is no longer around and that was Saturn. I did just read an article that said Costco is the second biggest car seller in the Country now. I've never bought from them but I guess you find the car you want and the price they give you is the price you pay, take it or leave it.

On RV's another reason to have a jacked up MSRP is allow people to trade too. If you're upside down in your current RV and you want to trade it in for a new one and you're willing to pay MSRP for that new one, you just may be able to make it work. But what you are doing is just transferring that negative equity into that new motorhome.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Every dealer does this. MSRP is usually the higher number, then there is the "sale" price which is much lower. You can usually do better than the sale price but you need to do some homework. The best place I have found to get rock bottom pricing is RV direct. You may not buy from them but they'll give you a quote which tells you about where you want to be with a dealer on final pricing. The best deals I have ever gotten is if I have proof of another dealer's lower price and letting them know I was prepared to buy there if they didn't match. Being prepared to walk away is critical in any negotiation. I made the deal on my current pickup while the engine was running and I was pulling out of the dealership. The manager ran after me and we hammered it out through the window.
2013 ACE 29.2

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Been thinking about down sizing from an 'A' to a smaller 'C'. Been looking at some at CW but would like you guys and gals to respond to this: ..... What should I offer
?

Nothing!
RUN, don't walk from CW!

Do a search on the quality and accessibility of their SERVICE first. I.E. takes weeks or even months to get your RV serviced.

IMHO Camping World is the worst place to buy an RV. Buy from a local dealership and or from a private seller. If you are in Florida there are a PLETHORA of RV dealerships that will beat CW places by thousands AND be more 'customer' orientated and WILL welcome you when you need service on your RV when needed. Just saying DO a search first and read the horror stories.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Almost EVERY dealer performs numbers magic... Walk through any RV Show , compare numbers and you will see..
Like stated, compare online to a bunch of different online places..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Hiker_01
Explorer
Explorer
If it was me, I would check out RVtrader.com, do a wide area search of the same make/model/floorplan/year and see what the average asking price is. Age of the internet has made it a lot harder for dealers to hide market price.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
goufgators wrote:
Been thinking about down sizing from an 'A' to a smaller 'C'. Been looking at some at CW but would like you guys and gals to respond to this: They 'CW' have price placards in each unit with the price(s) marked. In all cases, they have a higher price marked out with a considerably lower price below marked 'sale'. One I've looked at has the marked out sale price of $85,299 and the sale price...$59,950. I suspect that the real MSRP is the lower one and that they are playing games trying to make customers believe they are getting a real 'sale deal'. Probably, some people would pay the lower price thinking they got a real deal. There are gullible people among us...and they vote! Now if the $59K price is the real price...how much lower do you think they will go? What should I offer?

If you look up an identical rig online you should be able to come up with a fairly accurate MSRP and asking price from other dealers. You may also find some like new used units to give you an idea of what a used unit is selling for. Somewhere between those prices is going to be the lowest you are going to be able to buy it for if that dealer can afford to go that low. Some have too much overhead to discount too much.