cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I do this? Add bunks?

DKM_Fam
Explorer
Explorer
Have a couple questions for the more experienced good folds on the forum. My family owns a 2004 Georgie boy Pursuit. Ours has the large passenger side rear bedroom slide out. I am thinking of taking out or modifying the large closet in the slide and converting it to a triple bunk bed for my three kids (age 7, 7, and 9) We love our coach and it is paid for so I am not interested in purchasing a bunk house model and selling ours. For now ours is simply a family memory maker and we use it ~ once a month for 3-4 day camping trips. Currently our routine is the twinโ€™s sleep on the dinette and our daughter gets the couch. The problem for the DW and I is that in the mornings we have to tip toe around sleeping kiddos and each day we have to unmake the kids beds to put the lining space back together.

I am not worried about resale value or the kids eventually out growing the space. Just looking for info on if anyone has ever seen this type of conversion done. It does not look difficult and I have the skill set to make the modification.
While thinking of this I did come up with the following question:
Can I screw into the outer walls of the MH? I would verify water and plumbing were not in the way first. Could I use a magnet to find the metal studs in the wall?
Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.
16 REPLIES 16

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
I started a post on my bunk bed mod. Click here:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28386898.cfm
2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit 35', V10 F53 Chassis

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
I started a post on my bunk bed mod. Click here: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28386898.cfm

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
I built an RV style wall in one of my fifth wheels that actually was so good that when I traded it in the people that ended up buying it asked where it was fabricated because they had friends that wanted to do the same. So having been there, I do not see why it would not work like a champ!

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

David_R
Explorer
Explorer
Last year I came across someone who did a simillar build when I was looking for ideas on how to build a bunk bed in my C. I do not have the link now, but was searching for how to build a bunk in an RV and found it.
2007 BT Cruiser 5231
2002 Heritage Softail Classic

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Seems the bunks may only have 2+ feet between them Is there enough verticle height for three bunks?

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit that I'm about to do the same thing to. My slide out is only 20" deep. I want to bunks beds to be 32"-36" wide so I will also move the queen bed that in the middle of the room to the opposite wall. FYI, I'm only going to put two bunks in this space, Not three like the OP'er. I will post picture next week when I start on it.

">

">

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it!
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
DKM Family - if you do this - please - please post pictures of the process especially before & after!!!!!

Thanks!
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would use air mattresses for the bunks since it is much lighter in weight and each kid can adjust it to their liking.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
don't know the exact layout of your unit but I have seen them with optional bunks/large closet on a slideout just ahead of the bedroom. if your slideout is part of the bedroom do you really want that lack of privacy?
bumpy

DKM_Fam
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the feedback. Sounds like no one is jumping up and down saying not to try thisโ€ฆ I think I will take some measurements and make up a sketch or two this weekend. Gather materials next week and Walla I have a great Memorial Day weekend project. My kids want me to do build it for them. All three of them get in the closet now when we are camping with their flashlights and make a play โ€œfortโ€ in there. The closet has 3 12V lights now. I was thinking I could reroute the lights for bunk lights and add a 12 plug for a USB charger for each bunk. Get the DW to make some nice bunk curtains and each munchkin would have their own space. The more I think about this, the more I want to try it.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi,

Not sure which model Pursuit you have, I'm guessing the 3500DS? I know that line pretty well as we bought our GBM Cruise Master in the 2004-2005 model year change over.

Can you do it? Sure. But consider the loss of the storage space very carefully, ESPECIALLY if you start taking longer trips. Your children are at the age where they can start helping with the beds each morning & night. (Yes, it actually does take a bit longer the first couple of times they "help", but eventually they get it! ๐Ÿ™‚ ) Put their respective sheets, blankets & pillow in the storage areas above their sleeping spots and it becomes a real easy change-over.

We like having the kids in the front of the rig and us in the back. Children in bunk beds a paper-thin wall away from the mommy-daddy space wouldn't work for us.

At night, our kids usually fall asleep watching something on the front TV while we watch something in our bedroom. We don't have to worry about curious precious little ears pressed against the walls listening to what's going on.

The gas class A's with bunks became popular in the years after we bought our rig. We've looked at most of them, and haven't seen one we'd trade ours for. But lots of folks apparently like them.

Another thing to consider is to make sure you have enough length so as the kids get older, they will "fit" in the space. Five feet long might work now, but not so in a couple of years.

We also notice that because the shades on the front of the rig usually don't darken as well as the bedroom, that it's brighter up front and the kids are often up before we are now that they've aged a bit. Yours may start that as well.

So, can you do it? Sure. Just think it through. Perhaps you should try one of your next camping expeditions without using the current closet space you'll use in the bunk conversion. See how that works. If you can get it to work for a short trip, make sure that if you have to pack for 3-4 weeks you can still manage, if those types of trips are in your future.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I asked this same question last year. I was looking at bunk houses, but found that the same floor plan you have was almost $10-20k cheaper, plus there are more choices of models going that route. If you have the skill I say do it! I'm still looking but kind of on hold at the moment.

BTW, people thought I was crazy for even suggesting something like this! LOL

God luck!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try to weigh what you take out in that location and keep the new modifications about the same weight so as not to affect the balance or gross weight of your coach. Since it is going to be a triple bunk, most of the weight can be supported by the floor with a minimal attachment to the side wall or ceiling. Just be careful to use lightweight bedding and construction materials and it will be a great modification to your rig.