cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I do this? Add bunks?

DKM_Fam
Explorer
Explorer
Have a couple questions for the more experienced good folds on the forum. My family owns a 2004 Georgie boy Pursuit. Ours has the large passenger side rear bedroom slide out. I am thinking of taking out or modifying the large closet in the slide and converting it to a triple bunk bed for my three kids (age 7, 7, and 9) We love our coach and it is paid for so I am not interested in purchasing a bunk house model and selling ours. For now ours is simply a family memory maker and we use it ~ once a month for 3-4 day camping trips. Currently our routine is the twinโ€™s sleep on the dinette and our daughter gets the couch. The problem for the DW and I is that in the mornings we have to tip toe around sleeping kiddos and each day we have to unmake the kids beds to put the lining space back together.

I am not worried about resale value or the kids eventually out growing the space. Just looking for info on if anyone has ever seen this type of conversion done. It does not look difficult and I have the skill set to make the modification.
While thinking of this I did come up with the following question:
Can I screw into the outer walls of the MH? I would verify water and plumbing were not in the way first. Could I use a magnet to find the metal studs in the wall?
Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.
16 REPLIES 16

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how hard it would be to add bunks to your unit however I can tell you that if you do convert it you will have no problem selling it. Bunk models are at a premium over standard motorhomes. This is especially true for affordable units.
FMCA member

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go for it, glue (liquid nail) and screw. Stud finder and measure the space in the cabinets to get close. There is not a lot to screw to so go easy. Just look at the cabinets and you will get the ideal of what thickness to use to keep weight down. I would say 1/2 in plywood and 1x2x3/4 in lumber, 2x4 where you need more. We add bunks back in the 70s and it work out great. use metal brace where needed. Good luck