cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I Drive My RV in the Winter?

MY-IVVI
Explorer II
Explorer II

Winter is here, and the open road is calling!  But the big question remains: Can I drive my RV in the winter wonderland? Let's navigate the chilly terrain together.

Question of the Day: Can you drive your RV in the winter? What are your go-to tips for safe and enjoyable winter RV travels?

Share your experiences, insights, and winter-driving wisdom in the comments below. Whether you're a seasoned winter RVer or just dreaming of a frosty road trip, let's swap stories and tips!

P.S I have FORD 2019 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige, 2019, class C

15 REPLIES 15

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III

Sure, you can travel in your RV in winter. It just takes some considerations, many of which are dependent on your particular RV. Some RV's are better insulated, some have real heated bays and tanks etc. There's always a risk that your pipes may freeze and that can cause major damage. Also think about how cold it will be, how warm you want to be in the RV, the amount of propane and your usage - in other words, you don't want to run out of heat. Some folks opt to winterize their Rv and don't use any plumbing at all.  Reminds of a time when we were travelling from FL to MD in winter. At the time we had an entry level class A.  Left Fl at 75 degrees and ran into a major winter storm when we hit NOVA. Temps dropped to sub freezing, ice/snow, wrecks everywhere. CG's were closed etc. When we finally made it to our destination it was in the teens and my water pump had frozen (despite having heat plumbed to it.) While travelling the sub-freezing air when moving overpowered the heat to keep it from freezing. I was able to thaw it when we got there with no damage, but the moral of the story is, conditions change and what you need to do to compensate might also change. And as a general rule of thumb, it's always better to wait out a storm than drive through it. In our case we had no choice as we were stuck in DC traffic. But it was a white-knuckle experience and one I don't care to repeat. 

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Thank you very much for your recommendations! I would also like to share that last year, I applied foam insulation to the underside of my motorhome, and it significantly improved its warmth. Currently, I am with my family at Blue Mountain in our RV, and we are thoroughly enjoying our time here.

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad

We've gone a few times to get near ski areas and really enjoyed it.  I do shy away from it now though after a bad experience with a bad tank of fuel.  It didn't cause any issues for the coach's engine but did some significant damage to the Aquahot (ended up destroying the computer and damaging some items on the burner assembly).  As such, I now carry extra fuel filters, not just for the engine, but all diesel-powered items on the coach.  In addition, I keep a few bottles of diesel service treatment handy, both white and red bottles.  We did find, and not surprisingly, that big engine diesel pushers have no issues generating wheel spin at any speed on slick surfaces, so that's another thing to be cautious about.  Drive within the limits of both you and the coach, avoid driving during bad weather and there shouldn't be any issues.  The last thing I recommend is to wash it (including the underbody) before putting it back into storage!

Impressive that you've learned from challenges. Carrying extra fuel filters and diesel treatment is smart after a bad fuel incident. Your advice on driving cautiously, avoiding bad weather, and washing the RV before storage is valuable for RV enthusiasts. Thanks for sharing, safe travels!

Why do all your posts sound like spam?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blt2ski

I would suggest you go out and do IT!
Spent twelve years towing a TT to local ski area's almost every weekend from early December to mid-March usually, a few times into April. I then summerized the trailer, used a weekend or week until November, then a trip to Mt Hood middle of the month, then back to mid december routine.......

IF you dont have them, a snow traction type tire should be on the rears. ALso have a set of chains available if they are legal in your state. OR if the state you are going, HAS snow area, mtn driving, like here in Wa St, then if you are over 10K lbs gvw in any way shape or form. You are required to carry chains from Nov 1 to AP 1. Which includes chains for the trailer you are towed vehicle per WSP too. you only need one chain on braking axel. I usually use a pair on the front. I used chain chains too, had a set of cables for the front axel. Only needed the max combo once. 

Have plenty of LP, battery, and a generator for back up. 

For the nay sayers, Usually found 50-100+ RV's at local ski areas per weekends that I mentioned, used by patrollers, instructors(myself)......I also saw MANY truck/camper, MH's towing snow mobile trailers too. 

Marty 

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

For several years we took our DP from Baltimore to Seven Springs, PA skiing several times each year and to many other areas in WV, PA, NY, VT, etc.  Only trouble I ever had was ran out of propane once but generator and elect heat took care of that.  Just be careful driving.

Thank you very much! We have plans to visit Mont-Tremblant, Quebec, next month. We are extremely excited and eagerly anticipating our trip. Happy Holiday! 

Hey @MY-IVVI

I just clicked on the Mont-Tremblant link you shared and it looks gorgeous. I look forward to seeing photos of your adventure posted in our International Travel Group

Your advice has been invaluable! Your experience and tips inspired me, and I'm hitting the road this Christmas holiday. Thanks for sharing your wisdom, Marty! Safe travels to you as well!

You were inspired in a day?  Lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

@Grit_dog wrote:

I understand your replies. It would be better if he did some of the suggestions needed and then tested towing in not too deep snow for a short trip before heading headlong to mountains for a ski trip. If he has driven in snow with his truck enough times in the past that would help a lot.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

@MNtundraRet wrote:

@Grit_dog wrote:

I understand your replies. It would be better if he did some of the suggestions needed and then tested towing in not too deep snow for a short trip before heading headlong to mountains for a ski trip. If he has driven in snow with his truck enough times in the past that would help a lot.

I should have added that I have driven in snow towing a trailer and using the Motorhome. Here in Minnesota, we can get over 100 inches in some years. For long trips I did the easy way. I belonged to a club. We rented a Greyhound Bus so we could part all the way to the ski hills. Coming home most people slept. It was a lot cheaper back in the Sixties. ๐Ÿ˜

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Why and who sounds like spam???