cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I use a household Faucet in RV?

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Need to replace a leaky faucet in Kitchen sink of Class A. Can I use a Faucet from Home Depot that is Residential grade instead of buying from an RV specific dealer like Camping World? Just not sure if the RV specific ones are designed different.
2007 Forest River Georgetown 350 DS SE Bunk Model Class A V10
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ADV Bike
MotoJug Motorcycle Hydration System

21 REPLIES 21

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
My RV is an 07 and has a double hole. Not a center hole. Also my connection is 1/2" and not 3/8 which I'm finding at the Lowes and Home Depot. I hate having to build connections but looks like I may have to. Just one more part to leak or fail.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just a note for folks who might read this and have older RVs:

My clipper has an old marine faucet in the bathroom. They no longer make any faucet that fits the existing holes, and as the counter and sink are a single unit, i'd have to replace the entire thing to put in a new faucet.

The kitchen faucet is "standard" kitchen, but the setup is a single hole that sits on a raised square at the back of the sink. Not all "decks" on faucets fit over that square. And you have to use a faucet with a single hole install. I ended up getting a single handle faucet and not using the deck - it sits flush on the sink edge and just fits.

So, if you're rig is older, check it out before buying a new faucet to make sure your choice will actually fit.

I have a pull out and I have no problem with hot water. It's no different than when I had the standard faucet.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't try to use the drain tailpiece that comes with the new faucet. Residential units are set up to use an overflow in the sink which you probably don't have.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Per my experience most of RV builders buy the cheapest fixtures they can find on the market, or the fixtures no house inspector would allow in living spaces.
Do yourself a favor and spend few more bucks for thermostat-controlled faucet.
Here is pictorial how I did it in my camper bathroom, but the same faucet comes with no shower for kitchen use. Lot of variations available on ebay and coming from China they are really affordable.
Pull-outs take dumping more water before warm water comes, so not that advisable in RV. The wait time is about 10 days, what is 3 days for shipment from China to USA and 7 days for US customs and USPS.
faucet upgrade

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Joz wrote:
Sure. Every RV faucet I've replaced has been a residential grade unit. Mostly because I always seem to have a few spares on hand from upgrades around the house. I really like having a pull out faucet in the kitchen sink (in the RV and house!).

Thanks. A pull out is what I'd like to replace it with.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can use a household faucet. Suggest you remove and take the old one so you know what kind of connections you will need.

Said another way, I have used "off the shelf" Moen faucets on several coaches.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Joz
Explorer
Explorer
Sure. Every RV faucet I've replaced has been a residential grade unit. Mostly because I always seem to have a few spares on hand from upgrades around the house. I really like having a pull out faucet in the kitchen sink (in the RV and house!).