cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can't turn off battery disconnect, is it my converter?

emtp82
Explorer
Explorer
While driving on a trip the past month I noticed a hot smell coming from the bedroom area. Upon inspection it seems to be coming from the power converter. The smell disappeared after we got parked and set up. When we got ready to leave I noticed that I was unable to kill the power using the battery disconnect switch.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I start replacing various items?

I have a 2001 four winds chateau class c

edited: edited the term "mod disconnect" to say battery disconnect
9 REPLIES 9

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
In my Four Winds 28A the disconnect solenoid is located under the bed on the curb side. Lift the foot of the bed and there is a small compartment on the curb side. Remove the cover and the solenoid is mounted on the wall of the compartment. YMMV
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

emtp82
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome thanks. I will see if I can locate that.

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hmmm. If it is not shutting off with shoreline power disconnected, then your disconnect solenoid may be the problem, or it may have been a victim of the converter failure. The disconnect solenoid is usually located close to the converter and has two 5 amp fuses. It would be worth checking those first.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

emtp82
Explorer
Explorer
The smell seemed like a hot electrical smell. The green light stays on even after flipping the main breaker on the converter panel. The shoreline is not connected to any power source at this time.

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure about the smell, but in our FW if the converter is on, when the disconnect switch (near the main entrance close to the floor) is switched off the little green light stays on indicating it is still powered up. When the converter is turned off via the 110v breaker (or unplugging from shore power), it all shuts off.

Try turning off the breaker for the converter, usually the first one in the gang. Or try unplugging from shore power, then toggle the disconnect.

Given the burning smell, it might be your converter/charger is toast as well.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Most converters are located along side the bed. And 'many' people put stuff up against the converter on the floor. It blocks the air flow to the fan and it WILL heat up and catch fire. I KNOW.

I told a guest not to put their bags along side the bed and they chose to keep doing so. We woke up to the smell of burning wires. The fan overheated and it did not trip the breaker all the way and started an electrical fire.

If that is not it. Does it smell like sulfur? Your converter might be cooking your coach battery. Been there done that too. ๐Ÿ˜ž

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Have you checked the battery voltage at the battery-terminals with a multi-meter? Unit should be unplugged for 12 to 24 hours.

If the voltage is less than 10.5 to 11.0 volts, the solenoid will not function to either connect or disconnect the battery(s). This voltage would indicate a dead battery.

Where is your house-battery(s) located? The solenoid would be close to it.

Where is your converter/charger located? Many are under the couch and somewhat near the batteries? Is yours in the back under the bed? Unless it is back there you may have a short near either the power-panel or possibly the converter/charger.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

emtp82
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I was using a term from work. I corrected the term. It is the battery disconnect switch that stays on.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know what you mean by "mod" disconnect switch, but it may very well be that your converter is toast.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund