cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Car dolly

jwiz7
Explorer
Explorer
If i use a car dolly, does my towed car have to have working tail lights or are the dolly brakes enough? Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I "thought" that some states have a requirement that the tail lights be within xxx distance from rear of the towed equipment so a car being towed would require additional lights on the back. at $18 at Harbor freight, it is sort of silly not to buy a set of magnetics, JMHO.
bumpy

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
What I believe makes them legal is the reflectors on the rear of the toad, like having a red flag on a long load.
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
It only makes sense to have the rear corner of a towed vehicle illuminated. The tow dolly fenders are easily 12 to 15 feet forward of the rear of the vehicle so I'd bet a dollar to a Krispy Kreme Donut that dolly lights alone would not be adequate or legal. Plus, if viewed at a bit of an angle, one would only see one light.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
The dolly I have came with a factory wired second 4 pin connector on the fender to connect rear lights of the car or magnetic mounted rear lights. These
are required where we live, but not every where.
Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not disagree with the other posts. I have the ACME dolly with led lights BUT I also purchased a set of magnetic lights for the towed car. It is not hard to run the connecting wire to the four pin connector on the coach. I have never had any problem with them. I will give you a word of advice though----go to Advance Auto and get a couple of rolls of the split plastic conduit to run the wires in. It does help protect the wires from turbulence which will eventually lead to broken wires as well it looks better too.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen way too many dolly lights not working. They are easily hidden by the towed, get the **** bounced out of them due to the fender mount, fenders and light damaged by turning too sharp, wires come disconnected and corroded. I feel that the further to the rear the light are the better the safety. I hate coming up on someone then guessing what their intention is only to find out the signal was blinking or the brake lights on but blocked from my view.

I use a dolly and the time I took to rig my lights was minor and well worth the safety. My only wish is that I would have spent the money for a set of LED magnetic mounts.

But it is legal.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
The brakes and lights on the dolly are considered enough. Some people put magnetic mount lights on the car too, or wire in the car's rear lights. But legally the dolly lights are adequate, as far as I've found. Maybe someone can cite otherwise.

Lights on the toad can only help.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.