cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Trailers.

Wilson123
Explorer
Explorer
I have a rear wheel drive car. Sounds like I can't have a tow bar. What are the disadvantages if I buy a car trailer? I've seen some camp grounds let you have tents on your lot. Could I purchase a tent the size of a trailer?
20 REPLIES 20

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
someone mentioned the weight of the trailer----an aluminum 20ft enclosed only weighs 1700lbs or so. Thats not a lot of weight for a tow behind garage, shed, and extra storage. Have to be a wimpy class A that wouldn't tow that.

ok, but add the weight of the actual car. At max, most gassers can tow 5k. so the car would have to be < 3300.
2013 ACE 29.2

FC
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that remco makes an automatic drive shaft disconnect so that you can tow almost any rear wheel drive vehicle.
JM2CW
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Vice President Operations Family Campers & RVers
www.fcrv.org

someone mentioned the weight of the trailer----an aluminum 20ft enclosed only weighs 1700lbs or so. Thats not a lot of weight for a tow behind garage, shed, and extra storage. Have to be a wimpy class A that wouldn't tow that.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wilson123 wrote:
Could I put my rear wheel drive car on a car tower?

The problem with towing any car with wheels spinning is that most automatic transmissions rely on lubrication pumps powered by the engine. Towing most cars with the auto transmission spinning will destroy it. To tow a rear wheel drive car on a car dolly you either have to back it on or disconnect the drive shaft in most cases.

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
Another advantage of a trailer is that you can back up as much as your skills allow. Plus you always have a trailer that you can use for other purposes. I have pulled a 20 ft car trailer for about 8 years as I also haul my utv along with my car. 🙂

Wilson123
Explorer
Explorer
I found a close to new dual axle trailer with a rock guard for $2,500.00.

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you go with a higher priced enclosed trailer, you can buy a new steel open deck trailer for around 2-2500, if you go aluminum your around 5k. Finding a race car tie down kit that includes 4 ratchet straps with the option of being axle loops is around 100-150 bucks.

If you go with a 4 down tow you will spend about that much after buying a car to get a tow bar and base plates installed.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

Wilson123
Explorer
Explorer
Could I put my rear wheel drive car on a car tower?

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Another idea, by the time you buy a trailer and all the equipment to tow a car on it, asuming the weight can be supported by your MH, you might be better off finding a cheap used car you can flat tow. Cost comparison might be worth looking at, no issue at a CG, miminal effort hooking and un hooking etc. The trailer with a tent over it seems like a good bit of hassle. A trailer to tow a car is not small or light and really limits you.
2013 ACE 29.2

cKarlGo
Explorer
Explorer
I am still trying to make up my mind on this particular issue. I was considering a Forza and towing my current car on a trailer, but that's warring with the EASY factor of being able to simply buy a new vehicle that can be towed 4 down.
---------
k.
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
2014 Honda CR-V
2007 Black Lab/Pitt Bull mix named Harley

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wilson123 wrote:
I purchased a 2004 Southwind. The hitch shows 10,000 lb tow weight with a 400 lb tongue weight.

Most hitches are rated for 10,000lbs but you are limited by the weakest part of the system(engine, transmission, suspension, etc). You need to find out what your GCWR(Gross Combined Weight Rating) is and what your weight is ready for travel then take the difference. It is probably much less than 10,000lbs.

There are a lot of advantages to the trailer but it will probably at 1,500lbs or more, require periodic maintenance and take a lot of space in campgrounds. You should figure on new tires every 6 years regardless of wear. I like the idea of not having to install brakes and towing lights on the car plus it is easier to back up than a toad.

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
Used that setup for 4 years. What I found is every campground had a different policy. Some did not care as long as everything fit into your site, others required the trailer to be left in a designated location. Money wise some charged for the storage (2-3 bucks a day) others did not. But in my travels, I did not run into any campgrounds that turned me away for having my car on a car trailer rather then a dolly or 4 down.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

Wilson123
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 2004 Southwind. The hitch shows 10,000 lb tow weight with a 400 lb tongue weight.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
How much can your 1994 Damon haul?? You might be cutting it close with both a trailer loaded with a BMW 325I. Your BMW's curb weight is over 3000 lbs.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”