cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cargo Carrier Hitch sizing?

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
I've recently bought a second hand Thule Terrapin 684 cargo carrier. As my van is parked, with no insurance for the winter, we drove down to pick it up in my FJ, with a 2" receiver. It fit, no problem. When we got home & tried to plug it into the 2" hitch receiver on my '96 Roadtrek, it wouldn't fit. I double checked with a 2" hitch that it fit into the RT's receiver & that it was the same dimensions as the carrier, it was. Strange!
The only thing i can think of is that the corners of the 2" channel were slightly rounded on the hitch, but not on the carrier. Would grinding the corners down a tad weaken the whole thing or be ok?
Also, does anyone know why these were discontinued? They seem to be a good product.
2 REPLIES 2

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip on the rust. I'll check it out later.

SplashDancer
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe just some small amount of rust in the receiver on the MH, as I've had that on my '04 Avalanche (wouldn't fit till "cleaned out" vs a '13 truck I also have. I actually sandblasted the inside of the hitch receiver on the Av, then it worked, although was still tighter than the newer truck's, ??