Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing taillights out to LED's

Tara361
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
I am thinking of changing out my stock taillight bulbs to LED's. This is on a 2001 Flair. I have changed out the headlights (not to LED.) and had to change the wiring and new relays. The taillight bulbs are 1157"s . Sounds like a good idea but I thought I would get some second opinions before doing so. Also, are they in fact brighter than the stock 1157's ??
thanks Bob
Catty and Bob
2001 Flair 25F
Proud to be an American
28 REPLIES 28

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
and that link would be where?

sounds to me more like a "justification" to the wife to spend extra money needlessly. wonder if everybody with these replacement LEDs have braking systems for their toad? now that would make a difference.
bumpy

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Groover wrote:
I like the energy savings but safety is my main concern. As others have stated reliability is much better with LEDs but another advantage is that LEDs come on instantly while standard bulbs take about a tenth of a second to warm up. g.

do you have a link to that study? I am curious as to how it was set up. on the filament bulb, did they count when it started to glow or wait till it had reached maximum light, etc. IMHO a much larger contributor to an accident is the physical/mental etc. state of the driver behind you and if a few milliseconds will make a difference, perhaps one should take a defensive driving course.
bumpy

Bumpy, are you some sort of retired Bureaucrat, Local, State, or Federal? Seems like you want to spent all the allocated money to study the problem, and blame other causes for the problem, rather than accept the known answers.
Wildmanbaker

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
Groover wrote:
I like the energy savings but safety is my main concern. As others have stated reliability is much better with LEDs but another advantage is that LEDs come on instantly while standard bulbs take about a tenth of a second to warm up. g.

do you have a link to that study? I am curious as to how it was set up. on the filament bulb, did they count when it started to glow or wait till it had reached maximum light, etc. IMHO a much larger contributor to an accident is the physical/mental/etc. state of the driver behind you and if a few milliseconds will make a difference, perhaps one should take a defensive driving course.
bumpy

Just watch some on the same circuit as I recommended and you will see for yourself. Think about how far you travel at highway speeds during that time and decide if you would like for the person behind you to have that extra warning regardless of his condition. I think that you will clearly see that it is more than a "few" milliseconds. Maybe you could do a video and count the number of frames between the time the LED comes on and the incandescent gets to full brightness.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:

do you have a link to that study? I am curious as to how it was set up. on the filament bulb, did they count when it started to glow or wait till it had reached maximum light, etc. IMHO a much larger contributor to an accident is the physical/mental/etc. state of the driver behind you and if a few milliseconds will make a difference, perhaps one should take a defensive driving course.
bumpy

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Well put Scott. The F53 chassis from 99 on, have an electronic flasher that handles the LEDs very well. The OP has replaceable bulbs, and a good, high quality LED replacement will work great. Using the same color LEDs as the lenses are, will make a great improvement for safety.
Wildmanbaker

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the energy savings but safety is my main concern. As others have stated reliability is much better with LEDs but another advantage is that LEDs come on instantly while standard bulbs take about a tenth of a second to warm up. That doesn't sound like much but at it works out to about 9 feet at 60mph and I am all for giving the guy behind me an extra 9 feet to stop with. If you have 3 or 4 vehicles in a line that can work out to some real distance in a panic stop situation. Next time you see a vehicle and trailer with LEDs on one and standard bulbs on the other watch the lights when they turn on their blinkers. The delay one the standard bulbs is surprising.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
A few items of interest and importance here. One, so many DIY types think that all motor homes and lighting systems are the same, not so.
Just because someone want's to change an item on any part of their coach, is no reason to show disapproval. Lighting systems, especially rear tail lighting systems, start to fail in many ways over time. That includes not only the wiring to them, (get's corroded, dirty, rusty, etc. at the connections and bulb insertion points) but also, the tail light lens's, like many items in and on something that sees UV for most of its life, will begin to fade and or become at the least, opaque. LEDs, do draw considerably less power. But, for about 99.999% of the application in tail, marker, head lights, clearance lights, brake lights, turn signals, and just about any EXTERIOR light, the need for less draw on the electrical system has barely any value. It's nice, but not needed.

What is of more importance is, in many cases, today's LED light bulbs can, and often do, display a brighter array of light, than the ones they're replacing. Much of that is dependent on the chip set the light bulb or, entire light assembly is made with. There's cheap LEDs and, expensive ones. And, contrary to popular belief, LEDs in many cases, DO NOT last forever. I've been dealing with LED tail, marker, clearance lights for years. I've seen very expensive LED tail light assemblies, with only 3 years on them, have almost half the segments burnt out. And, I've seen that many, many times. They are not as "long lasting" as some think.

In a situation like the OP is presenting, maybe a question or two should be asked before making any real suggestions as to a path of improvement.

1. Are the OPs tail lights the type of tail light in which just the bulb can be replaced.

2. If they are that type, what are the condition of the lenses, clear, opaque, faded, burnt (seen that a few times from incandescent bulbs developing heat and being too close to the lens) etc.?

Finally, the "Safety" thing is of great importance here. The "Sun at your back" is a great example of how to look at this situation. When the sun is directly on a set of tail lights, depending on the actual lights, they can be almost impossible to see, what the driver is indicating in intentions.

A bright acting, highly visible tail light, brake light and or turn signal, in direct sun light, is ultra appreciated by following drivers.

And finally, the "blinker thingy" is simply a relay or, "flasher" that has what's called a Bi-metal spring in it. When a turn signal is applied, 12V is flowed through that flasher. The load, as in the filament in the tail light, is directly in line, with that bi-metal spring. Due to that load, the bi-metal spring heats up and, springs away from it's contact point. At that time, you have no light. But, that bi-metal spring, cools off and, re-contacts it's contact. You have light. It does this at the frequency we've all seen over the years.

But, when an LED is introduced into the system, because LEDs require waaaaaay less electricity to operate and therefore, produce less draw, the bi-metal spring get's confused. In some cases, you'll not have any blinking at all and, in some, it will blink real fast. And, in the case of later electronics in later coaches, it's possible that the owner will see a "Bulb-out" signal on the dash, due to the fact that, the system is used to incandescent bulbs and a certain load being read. But, when the load is severely reduced, as in when an LED tail light bulb is inserted, the load is no longer there and, the system sees that as a fault and, will display it on the dash.

These are just some of the considerations when thinking about changing to LED bulbs. The older the coach, the less potential problems will arise when changing to LEDs.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced mine because they were hard to see during the day time, which is when I do most of my driving. I replaced the bulbs in the front turn signals and side marker lights with LEDs because they don't make the complete LED assemblies for those and I wanted the brighter lights. Longevity is a bonus.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is a safety thing. When the sun was at the back of our MH, it was very hard to see the brake, or turn signals. Changing to LED replacement bulbs made quite a difference, and they come on right now, not a slow glow to full brightness. We want all the safety we can get when RVing. To each his own. It should not be a argument.
Wildmanbaker

keepingthelight
Explorer
Explorer
I think more than anything it's a safety issue. I've driven behind other RV's where you could barely see their tail lights. Kudos for staying on top of safety. 😉
05 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH w/4 slides
CAT C7 350+ HP MP-8, Aero Muffler, AFE Filter
06 HHR LT Toad
Ready Brute Elite

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
PatrirkA51 does not show them powered on, but the ones he has are way brighter the regular brake and running tail lights, great for being seen from behind in poor visibility or fog conditions. I had this type on my previous RV just for safety reasons.
Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know, Bumpy. I'm interested in contrary opinions.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
I don't see a need to "save" electricity or be "brighter" with LED stop/tail lights.

careful, you may get sassed at.
bumpy 🙂

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
traveylin wrote:
Bumpy is my buddy go easy.. Changing out stop, running lites should be no issue. Left/right turn signals do require sufficient voltage drop to operate the blinker thingey. Leds sometime do not do it

If you have a problem with the blinker thingy, it may be that you have a mechanical flasher that requires a certain amount of voltage to operate correctly.
A simple fix is to switch to an electronic flasher. This is a very common problem on jeeps when switching to LEDS.

What you will notice is that your blinkers will blink real fast.

This is my experience with my jeep , so I don't know if the RV world would be that much different.