cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging house with engine & emergency start

rvsmith88
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1996 Tioga Montaro Ford E350 that the house battery is not charging when the engine is running. I don't here the emergency start click anymore when I push the switch. Does anyone have a wiring diagram on how it is wired.? Any help is appreciated
7 REPLIES 7

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
In most Class C's of that vintage there are TWO solenoids, one is the emergency start (plow solenoid will work for this) and the house battery charge circuit solenoid. This needs to be constant duty rated.

Usually the solenoids are close to the source of power, so the emergency start would be with the house batteries, and the charge relay with chassis battery.

ronfisherman
You can many different models of continuous duty solenoids on Amazon.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

rvsmith88
Explorer
Explorer
Where do you find the continuous duty solenoids?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
there is a fuse in the engine compartment that may have blown. After the first three times I had mine replaced with an automatic reset circuit breaker.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rvsmith88
Explorer
Explorer
The car parts store gave me a heavy duty plow solenoid. Would a car parts store stock a continuous duty solenoid?

rvsmith88
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the solenoid and the house battery is still not charging. So will it only charge once the engine battery is charged?

Hemi_RT
Explorer
Explorer
The emergency start doesn't charge the coach battery, either there is a constant duty solenoid that is activated when the key is turned on or an electronic isolater that looks at the batteries a sends the charge current to the battery that needs charging the most