cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chassis battery issues

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
The Coachis a 2000 Newmar with a Spartan chassis.

we tried to start the 8.3 cummins after 2 weeks on house power, and it cranked slow, did the boosted start and it started, OK but now the yellow check engine light is on.

Allowed the engine to run for about 10 minutes (good oil pressure and temps) and shut it down, waited about 2-3 minutes and started it again, no boost, and no light.

we took it camping 6 hours drive, camped 5 days, started the coach with no problems no lights and drove it home.

2 weeks setting on house power and the coach did the same thing, slow cranking until you boost it with house battery bank. and then the check engine light, run it 10 minutes and do the restart, no need to boost, and no light.

the batteries are the group 31 jell cell 2 12 volt in parallel no service type and 5 years old…

new battery time ?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
17 REPLIES 17

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Two new group 36 batteries fixed it.. the old batteries failed the high rate discharge test, neither battery would give more than 200 AMPs for over 10 seconds, before the voltage dropped below 9 Volts.

Some times you simply must do the right tests first.

the coach would charge the batteries OK but the batteries were sulfided until they simply would not hold the charge.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
cbr46 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
the coach still cranks slow,

voltage to the starter is 13.5 volts while cranking(hot), 9+- when cold.

when hot it pulls 450 amps when cold it pulls 650 amps

What kind of oil and viscosity in the motor?

Best,
- c bob

Delow 15W40

cbr46
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
the coach still cranks slow,

voltage to the starter is 13.5 volts while cranking(hot), 9+- when cold.

when hot it pulls 450 amps when cold it pulls 650 amps

What kind of oil and viscosity in the motor?

Best,
- c bob

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

So are the chassis batteries charging on shore power?

Yes..

And the 8.3 will crank normal on different battery set. (jumpered)

So the batteries are out and on a charger, we will see how long it requires to charge and discharge them.

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi,

So are the chassis batteries charging on shore power?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Today I had time to play with it, here is what I found.

the 2 chassis batteries have sat for 3 days with out being hooked to house power, they measure 14.8 volts.

the coach still cranks slow, voltage to the starter is 13.5 volts while cranking(hot), 9+- when cold.

the difference is when it is hot or cold.

when hot it pulls 450 amps when cold it pulls 650 amps, (I have inductive pick up amp meters)

I think it is the starter solenoid having a high resistance it works when hot not when cold.

when the starter pulls high AMPs the voltage drops to 9 +- and the computer senses it and turns on the check engine light, thinking the alternator has failed.

I still may have the batteries checked by the high current draw method to see if they fail.

JFC
Explorer
Explorer
We were in the same situation as many others posting here, chassis batteries don't charge except while engine is running. Monaco sells a replacement module to fix this but I went with a trickle charger and no problems for the lst two years.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Tony/Barb,
First off, how long have you had the coach? If a long time, has this problem presented itself prior to now? If you've not had the problem before and, this is a new problem, then, something is malfunctioning and, there's no need to ADD any auxiliary charging system to your chassis batteries. You simply need to repair something that's gone bad.

But, if you've not had this coach for long, and you just noticed this problem then, you need to learn about your charging system(s). This is not meant to be derogatory, just making a suggestion. Just about every coach made for decades, when the engine is running, will charge both chassis and house batteries. Different manufacturers, do it in different ways.

But many manufacturers have failed in the past, and, even some presently, to setup a charging system for the chassis batteries while on shore power. Winnebago and Itasca did just this up until around, late '05. In the '06 and later versions, a "Trik-L-Start" system was installed at the factory to keep the chassis batteries topped off while on shore power.

So, if you study your system(s) and find you have absolutely no chassis battery charging system in place while on shore power, then that's when you need to look into the many that are available. I've read of a newer, more modern replacement for the Trik-L-Start called the "Amp-L-Start". I think that's what it's called. It's supposed to be better than the previous version. Since I was not aware of any of those when I did mine, I simply bought a Napa, three stage charger and permanently mounted it inside the coach in a hide-a-way spot and hard wired it directly to the 110VAC circuit breaker panel and, then hard wired the 12VDC output side to the positive and negative terminals.

Now, my chassis battery charging system is completely separate from the Inverter/charger charging system of the coach batteries. Not that it needs to be, I just wanted it that way.

Also, one of the things you may need to look into is, is there a possibility of short somewhere in the chassis battery system that's drawing them down while being parked for extended periods of time? Again, just a suggestion.

Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
My Diesel Pusher, like many others, doesn't charge the chassis batteries while on shore power. I added a Trik-L-Start
. It keeps my chassis batteries charged, plugged in or not, but doesn't kill my coach batteries.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
My coach, like many others, doesn't charge the chassis batteries while on shore power. I added a Trik-L-Start
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
I spoke with a couple of DP owners regarding chassis battery charging when connected to shore power and was informed that their chassis batteries were only charged by the engine alternator and they had to use a battery charger/maintainer plugged into a 110vac outlet when connected to shore power to keep their chassis batteries charged. Don't know if all DP's are that way though.
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

TempatureContro
Explorer
Explorer
The isolater/relay is normally used to auto connect the 2 battery banks together when the alternator is putting out voltage. This charges the house bats as you drive.
Many motor homes are delivered from factory with no automatic means to charge chassis bats when connected to shore power.

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
You need to look into your inverter setup specifically, but you could have a bad battery isolator/relay that is no longer allowing the chassis to charge.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Mine did the same thing at 5 years old. Put new batteries in and all is well. more b
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler