cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not want to start a war or a bunch of flaming, but I have to ask. What are the problems with a Chevrolet Based Class C? Other than they are hard to find. They are easier to find now

I have read a lot the posts about the Ford based Class C over the last year. They seem to be the majority of the ones out there.

It seems that the Fords have problems with the front suspension and are plagued with handling problems that are costly to fix and have to be worked on a lot. I have not seen any posts about these problems on a Chevy Based Class C.

The noise and heat that is generated by the Fords seems to be a factor especially on the passenger side. I drove several of the same type that I bought, all on Ford chassis, and I really noticed the noise and heat and handling differences of the two.

The power and pulling and GVWR seem to be very close from what I have read by authors that have had both, also the fuel mileage seems to be close.

One thing that the Chevy has over the Fords is the Leg room up front. If youโ€™re tall like me at 6โ€™6โ€™โ€™ 225 then you need that room.

As an added bonus you can install a
Swivel Seat that cannot be added on most Fords, Giving you even more room in the RV.

So give it to me guys. Where are the problems? What do I have to look out for?

So far no problems at all, drives straight with no expensive add-ons to the suspension, rides really smooth for what it is, it is quiet and cool up front with plenty of leg room. Plenty of power when needed and gets looks from other Class C owners.

As a disclaimer, I bought a 2006 Chevy based Tioga Class C 26Q, I test drove about a dozen or more of the same or similar types all on Ford Chassis and just one test drive in a Chevy based one and I was sold.

UPDATE is on page 16 :B

*NEWEST UPDATE* Is on page 20
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
221 REPLIES 221

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
WOW THIS THREAD HAS TAKEN SOME WEIRD TURNS.

I started out asking about problems with Chevy Based R/Vs.
IT turned to a discussion on the mileage and merits of B+ vs Classic C, then to Mileage,Then Ford VS Chevy...

Then handleing like a sports car, then sports cars, then aqua sports in a Class C and THEN potty breaks and showers.....:@ WOW

A lot of give and take and some good info and some funny stuff....

No harsh words, all in fun,now that is why I like this Forum.

But But I gotta ask. Does anyone have anything to say about reliability of the Chevy or any real problems. If not, I'm gonna declare Chevy Based R/Vs best in the field........:W

Roomy, Quiet,Smooth Riding, Easy on Gas,and Goes straight down the road without a lot fiddleing with front end........

All documented in this thread :B
Buying A Rental Class C

dleslie125
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
My neighbours Nissan GTR with AWD (and top speed of over 195 MPH) will likely go a lot of places your MH (and most other 2WD units) have no hope of going.

.... but, but, but can your neighbor take a potty break and a shower when they get to where I couldn't go?? :C

Aw shucks, you got me there. But of course, he arrived where he was going 4 hours earlier and had lots of time for a shower. ๐Ÿ™‚

One of my sons had a Dodge Stealth RT AWD and I have to say it was a real performer in the rain and snow as well.

I wouldn't mind an AWD motorhome but given what AWD does to gas mileage, no thanks for normal use.
2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver Toad 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
New W-I Class C Yahoo Group
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 โ€ข 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC โ€ข 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT โ€ข 2000 Triple E CDR F53
Member Super C RV Group

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
My neighbours Nissan GTR with AWD (and top speed of over 195 MPH) will likely go a lot of places your MH (and most other 2WD units) have no hope of going.

.... but, but, but can your neighbor take a potty break and a shower when they get to where I couldn't go?? :C
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

dleslie125
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
In all fairness, no sports car - and certainly not Shelby's Cobra - can go where our(most) Class C rig(s) can:

I think you are leading with your chin. My neighbours Nissan GTR with AWD (and top speed of over 195 MPH) will likely go a lot of places your MH (and most other 2WD units) have no hope of going. And when the going gets really steep your will fall over on its head. ๐Ÿ™‚
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 โ€ข 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC โ€ข 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT โ€ข 2000 Triple E CDR F53
Member Super C RV Group

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
In all fairness, no sports car - and certainly not Shelby's Cobra - can go where our(most) Class C rig(s) can:

dleslie125
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
I'd suggest you don't have a clue what a sports car handles like if you think ANY motorhome handles like a sports car. I've had five MH's and NONE would qualify.

Hmmmmn ... perhaps not exactly true.

Our current E450-based 24 foot Itasca Class C does handle about equal to the 1962 MGA I had several years when attending college - of course our Itasca does take 5 gears to do it where the MGA only had 4. As a fresh comparison, the Cobra roadster I took a ride in Saturday kindof whipped them both. :B

No cigar. I've driven a few laps around Mosport in an MGA and hundreds in an MGB. No motorhome is even in the same ballpark (or track). ๐Ÿ™‚
Member Super C RV Group

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd suggest you don't have a clue what a sports car handles like if you think ANY motorhome handles like a sports car. I've had five MH's and NONE would qualify.

Hmmmmn ... perhaps not exactly true.

Our current E450-based 24 foot Itasca Class C does handle about equal to the 1962 MGA I had several years when attending college - of course our Itasca does take 5 gears to do it where the MGA only had 4. As a fresh comparison, the Cobra roadster I took a ride in Saturday kindof whipped them both. :B

dleslie125
Explorer
Explorer
PJUSTICE2650 wrote:
Phil Here, I will say it over and over again.
My 2002 24 Ft. Dutchman Class C with a Ford V10 gave my 8 to 9 Mpg.
My 2004 22 Ft. Minnie Winnie Class C with a Chevy 6.0 V8 now gives me 10 to 11 Mpg. and it handles like a sports car. Three more miles per gallon sure makes it bearable on a three to four thousand mile road trip................................

2004 22 FT. Minnie Winnie 6.0 V8 Phil Justice

Member Super C RV Group

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
tenbear wrote:
Interesting. The Chevy 4500 as tested had the same engine, V8 6.0L, as the 3500HD, so would that mean that the 3500 would also out-perform the Ford with the V10?

I would think you are right Tenbear, this thread seems to say that.

Plus also when towing, as in this other thread too.

Mileage

Seems that the Chevy still has the lead in mileage.

And with the Ford going away it looks like if I were in the market for a new one I would look for a MFG that will build on a Chevy Chassis.
Buying A Rental Class C

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consistently getting 10.5 to 11.2 mph with Chevy 4500 running 58 to 60 mph. Normally about 1700-1800 rpm. Full fuel and water tanks, 2 adults, and food and gear for week to ten days.

Thanks for the Chevy 4500 data. That about lines up with what the video implies, and - as is also implied in the video - would probably be very difficult to match with a Ford E450 under the same motorhome.

Now .... what mileage would a Chevy 3500 get under a small Class C motorhome?

I'm betting that a Chevy 3500 would do a bit better on gas mileage than a Chevy 4500 would do due to different ratios in their differentials.

RvBill3
Explorer
Explorer

I'm now beginning to see postings in the forums by owners who have Class C motorhomes based on the Chevy 4500 chassis - a much better chassis for a Chevy-based Class C beyond about a 24 foot length, IMHO.

I'll bet the 4500 Chevy chassis has lower differential gearing than the Chevy 3500 chassis does - just like the Ford E450 does as compared to the Ford E350.

Hence, I'll bet that Chevy 4500 Class C's get worse gas mileage than the Chevy 3500 Class C's do.

Can anyone report on their Chevy 4500 Class C motorhome's gas mileage?

Consistently getting 10.5 to 11.2 mph with Chevy 4500 running 58 to 60 mph. Normally about 1700-1800 rpm. Full fuel and water tanks, 2 adults, and food and gear for week to ten days.
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. The Chevy 4500 as tested had the same engine, V8 6.0L, as the 3500HD, so would that mean that the 3500 would also out-perform the Ford with the V10?
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
It seems that we all get fairly good mileage from our Chevy Based RVs.

Compared to the Fords.

Can anyone report on their Chevy 4500 Class C motorhome's gas mileage?

This might be the definitave answer.Performed by a very well respected Independent lab with Identical loads,and driveing conditions.As they came standard from factory,no trick trans or rearends.

THE TEST

It may not be a motorhome but they both are loaded to 14000 lbs.
which is the GVWR of both rigs or very close to it.

Watch the whole thing and then decide.BTY this was made for business,s looking for ways to save money in their shipping costs.
Buying A Rental Class C

Entropy69
Explorer
Explorer
I've had two issues with my Chevy (2007 RV, but 2006 chassis). First is a probable vacuum leak that keeps the dash air on the defrost vents. Haven't fixed that yet. Second is a code that pops up occasionally indicating a leak in fuel pressure system. The usual suspect is a gas cap that doesn't seal properly, but in my case it was the fuel hose to the tank.

Other than that, I've had no issues.
2007 Four Winds 5000 28A
Chevy Workhorse Chassis, 6.0L Vortec

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Just posted a topic that Ford is planning to stop production of the E- Series at the end of the 2013 model year. The replacement is to be unibody construction
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen