cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not want to start a war or a bunch of flaming, but I have to ask. What are the problems with a Chevrolet Based Class C? Other than they are hard to find. They are easier to find now

I have read a lot the posts about the Ford based Class C over the last year. They seem to be the majority of the ones out there.

It seems that the Fords have problems with the front suspension and are plagued with handling problems that are costly to fix and have to be worked on a lot. I have not seen any posts about these problems on a Chevy Based Class C.

The noise and heat that is generated by the Fords seems to be a factor especially on the passenger side. I drove several of the same type that I bought, all on Ford chassis, and I really noticed the noise and heat and handling differences of the two.

The power and pulling and GVWR seem to be very close from what I have read by authors that have had both, also the fuel mileage seems to be close.

One thing that the Chevy has over the Fords is the Leg room up front. If youโ€™re tall like me at 6โ€™6โ€™โ€™ 225 then you need that room.

As an added bonus you can install a
Swivel Seat that cannot be added on most Fords, Giving you even more room in the RV.

So give it to me guys. Where are the problems? What do I have to look out for?

So far no problems at all, drives straight with no expensive add-ons to the suspension, rides really smooth for what it is, it is quiet and cool up front with plenty of leg room. Plenty of power when needed and gets looks from other Class C owners.

As a disclaimer, I bought a 2006 Chevy based Tioga Class C 26Q, I test drove about a dozen or more of the same or similar types all on Ford Chassis and just one test drive in a Chevy based one and I was sold.

UPDATE is on page 16 :B

*NEWEST UPDATE* Is on page 20
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
221 REPLIES 221

Vintmxman
Explorer
Explorer
I have both the Ford and Chevy in the "C" size range. The Chevy offers a much better ride, is much more quite on the road and gets better feul economy. I won't buy the Ford again. The chevy power train seems stronger under load as well.....great package in my humble opinion...

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks To Snowman9000 for the Info on Express Based RVs that may be towing.

Snowman9000 wrote:
I would think some Class C and many Class B owners would be affected by this. I'm trying to guess what the fix is going to do to the performance, MPG, etc.

Buying A Rental Class C

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is the newest up date for you owners of Chevy Based Class C in Year models 2003 thru 2006 it also may affect other years.

It has to do with a posable steering problem and a warranty extension.

Link

There are 5 pages, just go to NEXT PAGE at the top right to see them all you may have to slide it over.
Buying A Rental Class C

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
While looking to see if there were any problems that haven't been covered here on the Chevy Based Class C thread.
I came across a Website that was quite interesting.

I checked my year and found 3 that weren't adaptive, add on things.

All 3 have been addressed when I checked my service records that came as part of the purchase of my Former Rental.

This may be helpful to others, you can check out your year.
Buying A Rental Class C

vanGogh
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again guys. I am glad to hear that you noticed a positive change after your coach was loaded and the tire pressure was adjusted. I just bought the valve stem kit for Chevy from Tireman. I hope to have those installed next week and I am looking forward to checking my tire pressure. One of the main reasons I ordered the Chevy (other than more leg room) was because I read that the handling characteristics are reported to be better than the Ford and that is important to me.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of us could reduce front tire pressure and really improve the handling. Most of these Class C's front axles never get anywhere near the max weight and corresponding max tire pressure requirements.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Elle, I will be looking forward to it.

I neglected to give my thoughts on your problem.

I think once you have it loaded with all gear, fuel, water and all the things you will be traveling with, you may see a difference in the handling.

I found that after I had mine loaded and adjusted the tire pressures to 65psi in front and 75 psi in the rear it handled very well. When empty from the dealership it was a little loose.

It now drives just fine in the 60 to 65 mph range. If I can I will set the cruse at about 62 and just set back and enjoy the ride.

I weighed it loaded and found that It was well within safe parameters for the chassis and tire pressures.

As for the suggested wheel alignment, that may be a last option.

After doing a lot of research here and on other Forums I have not found that the Chevy Based Class C have any problems in this regard.

One thing nice about the Chevy Based Class C is that they don't seem to have the poor handling characteristics that seem to plague the Ford Based Class C.

Good Luck and I hope that you enjoy your new RV.
Buying A Rental Class C

vanGogh
Explorer
Explorer
I will be glad to.
Elle

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
vanGogh wrote:
Thanks to all who responded. I will check tires, alignment and air bags to see if I can get a safer feeling ride at higher speeds.
Elle

vanGogh
When you have checked out all of the suggestions and have made a few trips to see if you have a safer feeling at Hwy speeds. Please tell us all how it went or if there were any more problems you encountered.

After all the intent of this thread was to find out any problems on Chevrolet Based Class C and how to solve them, from owners of Chevys.

There are many of them out here and their knowledge will be helpful to you and others that have a Chevy Based Class C
Buying A Rental Class C

dleslie125
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
Mich F wrote:
I believe for 2013 the Chevy 3500 has a GVWR of 12,300# with a GCWR of 15,800#. The Ford E350 has a GVWR of 11,500# with a GCWR of 18,500#.

My 2005, 2004 Chevy chassis, is rated by Thor as GVWR 12,300# and GCWR 17,000#. I have been towing Subarus since it was new, 3,100#-3,200#, with no problems.

That was a decade ago. Doesn't count for anything today if one is looking at new products.

Subaru - great toad IF you want manual transmission. I've always said that if Subaru had an automatic AWD/4WD that could be flat towed they'd sell a TON of them.
2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver Toad 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
New W-I Class C Yahoo Group
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 โ€ข 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC โ€ข 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT โ€ข 2000 Triple E CDR F53
Member Super C RV Group

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
I believe for 2013 the Chevy 3500 has a GVWR of 12,300# with a GCWR of 15,800#. The Ford E350 has a GVWR of 11,500# with a GCWR of 18,500#.

My 2005, 2004 Chevy chassis, is rated by Thor as GVWR 12,300# and GCWR 17,000#. I have been towing Subarus since it was new, 3,100#-3,200#, with no problems.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
dleslie125 wrote:
Mich F wrote:

Yes, those are the numbers reported by Winnebago for specs of one of their C Minnie Winnies.

The 15,800 GCWR could leave one with a very minimal selection of toads. From what I could see Forest River/Coachmen and Thor are no longer using the 3500 and that is likely the reason. The 4500 makes more sense if one wants a GM chassis.

Forest River rates the E350 at a GVWR of 12,500# with the same 18,500# GCWR.
Whichever numbers one goes with the Fords seem to have a higher tow rating.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

dleslie125
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:

Yes, those are the numbers reported by Winnebago for specs of one of their C Minnie Winnies.

The 15,800 GCWR could leave one with a very minimal selection of toads. From what I could see Forest River/Coachmen and Thor are no longer using the 3500 and that is likely the reason. The 4500 makes more sense if one wants a GM chassis.
2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver Toad 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
New W-I Class C Yahoo Group
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 โ€ข 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC โ€ข 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT โ€ข 2000 Triple E CDR F53
Member Super C RV Group

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
Gene in NE wrote:
The Ford E350 was at 10,700 lbs for a while.
Boy, that must have been a few years ago. I'll bet it was way back when good old one-ton dually pickups were rated only in that range, too.
I was just quoting from the brochure that I have for my unit in 2002. I do not know if they knew what they were talking about. They had the Chevy chassis at 12,300 GVWR and the Ford at 10,700 lbs. The only reason I wrote that was because of the comment about the Ford frame being tougher than the Chevy. That could be true today. Things do change. :B
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene