cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevy/Navistar 2019 4500/5500 Medium Duty Trucks

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
The GM Chevy truck division is collaborating with Naviatar/International to build a 4500 & 5500 Medium duty trucks. I don't know which engine will be used, but my best guess is the 6.6 Duramax mated to an Allison Transmission. I personally know of fleet customers are moving away from The Dura-Star with the MaxxForce 7 engine. I'm thinking that the new Medium Duty Truck will be composed of the best of G.M. & the best of Navistar and as a joint venture, manufacturing cost should come down. Learned this on: tfltruck.com. But the big question is, will some RV manufacturers use this cab/chassis to build a C+ or Super C motor home on. Personally, that would be right up my alley! What say you? Bags.
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!
8 REPLIES 8

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
bagman wrote:
The GM Chevy truck division is collaborating with Naviatar/International to build a 4500 & 5500 Medium duty trucks. I don't know which engine will be used, but my best guess is the 6.6 Duramax mated to an Allison Transmission. I personally know of fleet customers are moving away from The Dura-Star with the MaxxForce 7 engine. I'm thinking that the new Medium Duty Truck will be composed of the best of G.M. & the best of Navistar and as a joint venture, manufacturing cost should come down. Learned this on: tfltruck.com. But the big question is, will some RV manufacturers use this cab/chassis to build a C+ or Super C motor home on. Personally, that would be right up my alley! What say you? Bags.

They are trying to enter the Australian market again with the ProStar. Same Truck with a CAT engine was sold several years ago as.a CAT Truck, was not a success.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
bagman wrote:
...the RAM the loudest...

But the RAM is the only one with a sound like the big straight-six-855 Cummins in the 18-wheelers.

Priceless!

I want a Ford Pickup, with a Cummins Engine and an Allison Transmission.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
tfltruck.com used identical trucks, a Chevy with a 6.6 Duramax, a RAM with a 6.7 Cummins, and a Ford with it's 6.7 diesel engine and all three (3) towed that exact same amount of weight, and the RAM w/6.7 Cummins had the best fuel economy towing 23,000# @ 70 MPH @ 6.7 MPG The Chevy Duramax 6.6 same weight, same speed was 6.4 MPG @ 70 MPH, and the Ford same weight & same speed was 5.7 MPG, @ 70 MPH. And we're talking about 2017 1 ton dual wheels. So for me, my first choice would be a Super C with the 6.7 Cummins, and then the 6.6 Duramax. The Cummins beat the 6.7 Ford by 1.0 MPG. However, all performed well and as far as decibles, the Chevy was the quietest and the RAM the loudest, but the difference was minimal. This was published on 03/12/2017. Bags.
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
John S. wrote:
I have my coach on a f550 and love it.

Maybe Navistar should buy engines from Ford for awhile...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have my coach on a f550 and love it. It has plenty of Ccc and also power to run the mountains like a car would.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

b17drvr
Explorer
Explorer
The durastar are also available with the Cummins engine. They are selling more if those than with the maxxforce I've heard.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Let's not forget the many lawsuits by Ford for the problem diesels provided to them by Navstar/International for their pickup trucks. I'd be leary of anything they provide GM.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
They announced last year that they will be building the Cut Away for the RV and other markets so they may also look into the larger chassis for them.

The Class4/5 will get The Duramax engine so it may be a possibility.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C