cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cigarette lighter socket fuse

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2006 Ford E450 has a 12 volt power plug AND a cigarette lighter. ( how old schoolis that? :B ). The cigarette lighter plug is not working, and i have googled this question and just cannot get a straight answer to where the fuse is for this lighter socket. It would be good to be able to use it for an additional 12 volt socket
Proud father of a US Marine
16 REPLIES 16

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II

Best I can do is this picture. You can see one of the Lighter/Power Port wiring connectors poking out of the hole the Socket falls back into when the Bezel is in place. The procedure I thought I had was for the HVAC cabinet.
Notice the A/C controls are still in place. I think the factory radio would be in place too. On ours the "Can" the aftermarket radio mounts to, was tied to the Bezel.
Also notice the A/C Vent Diffusers are not there. They stay with the Bezel. I think I had to put the Shifter in LOW to clear the Bezel coming out.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to pull the lighter socket, only the "Bezel" (ours is the Black part of the Dash but you might have woodgrain or such) has to come off. I think I can find the removal process from AllData or one of those tech sites.

Basically, Headlight Knob/Shaft then its Nut. Couple Screws visible looking UP in the area where the Speedometer is. We have an aftermarket radio and it wanted to come out with the Bezel. If you have a factory radio, I think it can stay.

I don't believe there are any more screws, threaded fasteners. Then you take a trim tool and PRY. Pry till you think something's gonna break and pry more. It's in there Really Tight. The sockets will come out with it. The A/C vents will take care of themselves. I can link a thread from BATAuto that shows some of this. I was in there after the A/C vacuum controls. Which wasn't my problem, but that's another story.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
suprz wrote:
I found fuse site 26 and pulled the 20amp fuse. I checked the fuse and it's good... I guess the socket is bad. And I'm sure you probably have to pull the entite dash to replace it. Which is probably why it was bad when I bought the RV. Oh well, ill just get a 1 to 2 socket so I can power the dash cam and the gps

Look on You tube first to see how big a job it is.

I tried, didn't find anything on youtube

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
suprz wrote:
I found fuse site 26 and pulled the 20amp fuse. I checked the fuse and it's good... I guess the socket is bad. And I'm sure you probably have to pull the entite dash to replace it. Which is probably why it was bad when I bought the RV. Oh well, ill just get a 1 to 2 socket so I can power the dash cam and the gps

Look on You tube first to see how big a job it is.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Per Manual on this Ford Site:

Power Point 1 should be Fuse 32 in the Passenger Compartment, 20A

They mention Power Point 2 but it's for Passenger Vans, Second Row, Fuse 40, 20A

Lighter is Fuse 26 along with the Diagnostic (OBD2) Connector, 20A

FWIW, Glad I didn't go get our 2002 Owner Manual. The Fuse Layouts are Different.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cobra21 wrote:
The cig lighter should be a 20 amp. fuse. Power accessory probably smaller. Brian

A Key Point for those wanting to use Brake Buddy or similar Brakes in Boxes. When we had "Lighters" then we had large fuses 20/25 Amp, and decent wires to feed them. I think they were usually "Hot" even Key Off.

Now that we have "Accessory/Convenience Outlets" we get 10 Amp fuses and wiring better suited for a doorbell.

So... For Brake Buddy, call Tech Support and let them send you a Kit that gives you 20 (maybe 30) Amps full time. Keeps BB's from failing on low voltage.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
The cig lighter should be a 20 amp. fuse. Power accessory probably smaller.
Brian

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing that I have found is that on many vehicles they have two sockets and one is powered 24/7 and the other is powered only by the key being in the on position. Wiring is the same to both from what I have seen, if they do have a cigarette lighter it is usually in the one that is only powered by the key for safety reasons.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
mikebreeze wrote:
K Charles wrote:
A power plug is for power, a cigarette lighter is to light a cigarette and has small a small wire and a small fuse.
Thanks. That's probably why I kept blowing fuses for it. So the 3 in 1 power jack is the best solution.

Been using the lighter socket in my Class C, Jeep and GMC pickup for my Garmin GPS or charging my flashlight, iPhone or battery pack and haven't blown a fuse yet. I did wear out the socket in my Jeep and needs replacement. I haven't seen a difference. The sockets wear out, my guess that's the problem, it's grounding itself out. Sometimes the cheap charging plugs get wiggled a few too many times to make contact and break the socket.

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
A power plug is for power, a cigarette lighter is to light a cigarette and has small a small wire and a small fuse.
Thanks. That's probably why I kept blowing fuses for it. So the 3 in 1 power jack is the best solution.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Owner's manual has fuse layout.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Its possible the fuse is on the back of the socket and is very tiny.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.