cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ck engine light v10

ron_sky
Explorer
Explorer
on the road,will have auto zone give me the code in sept when i return home.I have put 3 gas caps on ,2 with key locks and newest one has no key bought from napa,when I fill up my tow car geo tracker you can here
air going in when you take the cap off,, my 2004 rv E350 makes no noise
when the cap comes off,,,I have removed the grd wire from the batt to reset ck engine light..will be back on the road in 2 days
13 REPLIES 13

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with Ranger 4.0 A/T 4X4 extended cab. Took it to Ford dealer and shop supervisor said they had a lot of similar complaints. He asked if the engine light was yellow or red. He said if it was red to park it immediately as it would hurt the engine to keep driving but if it was yellow it only indicated that something non-emergency was wrong and often they found that the customers did not properly tighten the caps. He said to click them at least 3 times as they ran under pressure.

It was discovered upon further inspection that there was a crack in the filler tube keeping it from pressuring and I had it replaced and problem solved. It is a plastic part.

ron_sky
Explorer
Explorer
on the road and ck engine lite comes on when fuel gage reaches 3/4

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of dumping money into gas caps that may or may not be the problem, spend that money on a OBDII code reader. You can spend a lot of money on good readers, but all of the Auto Zones/Advanced Auto part stores I used to use to read codes all used a cheapy $25 - $30 reader.

I bought the same one my local Auto Zone uses and of course I've never had to use it since buying it, but I have it. I found it on a Black Friday sale for $18.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Home Skillet wrote:
What makes you think it's the fuel cap?

The code is alerting you to a problem-that can leave you stranded.
Get it diagnosed.

I do not know about Ford gas caps but I can tell you from more than one experience that If you do not "click" a Chevy gas cap 5 plus times the light will come on. tI was made aware of this when I called because when I called the service department on a Chevy check engine lite, new car third day I had it, the service advisor asked me if had bought gas recently and when I told I had he told me to go out take gas cap off put it back on count 20 clicks and if the light was still on in a week call them back. It solved the problem.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
The original post didn't make a whole lot of sense, but I gathered that the OP has a check engine light and he's somehow convinced that his gas cap is the culprit. Why anyone would start replacing parts, even something cheap and simple as a gas cap without pulling a CEL code is beyond me. There are literally hundreds of issues that make that light come on and no way to know what the issue is without reading the code.

This is his other thread from the same day on the same issue.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27120520.cfm
Hopefully for his sake it's nothing serious, since he wants to wait until Sept. to get it checked out. :E
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
The original post didn't make a whole lot of sense, but I gathered that the OP has a check engine light and he's somehow convinced that his gas cap is the culprit. Why anyone would start replacing parts, even something cheap and simple as a gas cap without pulling a CEL code is beyond me. There are literally hundreds of issues that make that light come on and no way to know what the issue is without reading the code.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fuel tank "vents" through a charcoal cannister.
When you shut the engine off, the charcoal canister is closed off to prevent vapors from releasing into the atmosphere.
When the engine is restarted, the vapors collected in the charcoal canister are sucked into the engine.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

joeprinter
Explorer
Explorer
Just thinking, isn't there A tube of sorts for air to push out, when fuel is used? Like a vent of sorts? Could it be pinched, plugged?
"2012 Forest River 360 DS"
"Ford V-10"
"2013 Toyota Corolla on Tow Dolly"

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
My E-450 doesn't suck air when I remove the cap, none of my vehicles do. There are a lot of Autozone locations "on the road". The longer you wait.........

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
What makes you think it's the fuel cap?

The code is alerting you to a problem-that can leave you stranded.
Get it diagnosed.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I know on mine it was a cutaway came with cab frame it never had a gas tank till coach built it ,not sure if ford would be helpful if his was built that way. I went to Ford they said at that time they never put in 55 gal tanks but things do change.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

bob_on_the_go
Explorer
Explorer
Dittos!!!!!!!

clydedoerr
Explorer
Explorer
go to Ford and get the right gas cap