cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A of the choice

bacil
Explorer
Explorer
As you know from my previous posts we are looking to fulltime travel US from March this year, moving from sailing fulltime so we used to "camping".

We still haven't decided on type of the RV, i have shortlisted three fivers and have asked for opinions in separate thread. But recent discussions with my better half brought up the issue of the size and access to the parks and flexibility to boondock etc., so i was tasked to investigate MH's in 25' - 35' range.

I have shortlisted couple new ones, now we are looking at new one for now is the older ones i have found look dated, don't have all the cool gadgets (solar prep. for example) and layouts seems all the same (we want separate full bathroom and separate bedroom), but we are still open to get used one if we find what we want.

so far i have identified these :

1. Winnebago Vista LX 27N
2. Newmar BayStar 3124
3. Thor Palazzo 33.2 (or 33.3 if the bunk can be converted to wardrobe)
4. Coachmen Pursuit 32WC / Mirada 32SS

Most of them are gassers and Thor is DP

If we chose one of these i am expecting to toad Wrangler so 5k# towing capacity minimum.

I would appreciate any input, especially if you can think of any suggestions for us in this regard ๐Ÿ™‚ ?

Personally i like the diesel better ๐Ÿ™‚
28 REPLIES 28

bacil
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
Looks nice. Will most likely benefit with a rear trac bar. Looks like wheel base to length is 50%
32A brochure

If we get this one i will see after couple thousand miles and if needed will consider trac bars installed. But again this model is highest on our list for March purchase ๐Ÿ™‚ but maybe i will find some others between now and then (fleetwood storm 32a comes to mind as its exactly the same :))) )

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Looks nice. Will most likely benefit with a rear trac bar. Looks like wheel base to length is 50%
32A brochure
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
bacil wrote:
Gjac wrote:
mike brez wrote:
Too much $$$ but here is one

2002 32'CC intrigue 350hp
That is a nice MH, but I think $120K is too much for a 16 year old MH. Nada guides show $46k for ave retail. I'm sure it could sell for more because they are hard to find.

I agree bit too much for 12yrs old ... anyway i am now looking at Holiday Rambler Vacationer LX 32A that so far looks as best choice for us, but we will see ๐Ÿ˜‰
That is a nice floor plan, I think it has a drop down bed also. Check the storage for any pass trus.

bacil
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
mike brez wrote:

That is a nice MH, but I think $120K is too much for a 16 year old MH. Nada guides show $46k for ave retail. I'm sure it could sell for more because they are hard to find.

I agree bit too much for 12yrs old ... anyway i am now looking at Holiday Rambler Vacationer LX 32A that so far looks as best choice for us, but we will see ๐Ÿ˜‰

bacil
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
bacil wrote:
mike brez wrote:

Isn't 16 years too old ? taking in to consideration other things mentioned here (e.g. emission laws) ?

I guess it depends on were you register your Moho.
In Connecticut any vechile over 10,001lbs no emission testing and like some other states no vechile safety inspections.

We are working with Americas Mailbox so SD will be our state for all the purposes.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike brez wrote:

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
bacil wrote:
mike brez wrote:

Isn't 16 years too old ? taking in to consideration other things mentioned here (e.g. emission laws) ?

I guess it depends on were you register your Moho.
In Connecticut any vechile over 10,001lbs no emission testing and like some other states no vechile safety inspections.
2015 Wrangler JKU

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
While the above post is fairly accurate, to say there were not any emission controls before 2007 is not true. Yes, there was a big jump in the complexity of engines made in 2007 but there was a fairly large one for 2004 engines. I made sure my 04 DP had a 03 engine and if it had a Cat engine that would have been a very good decision as the 04 and later Cat Acert engines have had lots of problems. Fortunately I have a Cummings engine and today I would be happy with a 04-06 engine.

Monaco bought up a bunch of 06 engines and I have seen them in even 09 Monaco DPs. If the big thing that looks like a muffler but it has wires going to it...it's a 07-09 engine. I agree DEF engines have proven to be a good thing with the increased mpg paying for the expense of the DEF.

Unless the OP wises up and decides to go with something longer than 36' he does not need a Diesel engine.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
bacil wrote:
mike brez wrote:

There was a long post here a while ago about the emissions. Basically, anything before 2007 was no emission controls, between 2007 and 2010 were the dark ages of diesel particulate filters (DPF) and high exhaust recirculation rates, and after 2010 if the coach used diesel emission fluid (DEF) things got better. So, in short, avoid 2007-2010.

Now, some coach builders pre-bought 2007 chassis and built no emission coaches for a couple of the dark age years. Also, a 2007 chassis is probably in a 2008 coach.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

bacil
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike brez wrote:

Actually, taking off the normal 25 percent premium on RVTrader, it's just at the right spot for the OP.

I guess I miss that the OP is out of the country. I would 2nd the consignment or Lazy Days route that Isaac recommended.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Wrangler JKU

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
bacil wrote:
I am on rvtrader permanently for last 3 weeks since we started to search. ๐Ÿ™‚

So anyway to round this up, you guys would still go older 2010 - 2018 DP even though the most of the DP's on the market are 36'+

Isn't this the division there that gassers are smaller up to 35' and thats their sweetspot and then DP's are the big boys ?
I believe you are right in your observation. It is very hard to find a 30 to 34 ft DP. If you do find one it is not likely to have pass thru bay storage or a decent sized engine. I looked at a nice Winnebago 34 T with 350 HP cat engine but had no pass thru storage bays. CC makes a short Allure and Intrigue and are nice but very hard to find. Some of the older Monaco's and HR's in the 32 -34 ft range have a full wall slides with 2 pass thru storage bays, hung walls and are very nice. You may have to go a little older to find what you are looking for.

bacil
Explorer
Explorer
My first priority is the layout, because i think time wise we will spend more time enjoying the country than driving. So driving is secondary, then water/power capacity and third is 4 season insulation these are my top three criteria.

I have read many posts here about DP vs Gasser and i am used to diesel as most of my cars and trucks were/are diesels on the other hand its had to find layout we like in DP in our price range.

So realistically i would prefer gasser with layout i will be comfortable to live in than diesel that will lack in something. Its like a boat. As we are charter agency we handle loads of different yachts and ultimately it comes to three things in them. Layout, water tank and HVAC no one (of our customers) really cares if they get 108% oversize genoa or if it has carbon sails unless they are going to race it/do serious sailing and thats not many people as most of us is on yacht for holidays.