cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A Owners Carrying Motorcycle

Mike3
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading out next week for our first trip carring a Road Glide on a Hydra-lift on the rear of the coach. Do any of you doing this use any kind of cover on the bike while traveling. I have a HD cover but I'm concerned about it rubbing the finish while beating in the wind. Thanks
2017 Entegra Anthem
2013 Honda CRV Toad
2013 Road Glide Ultra with a HydraLift
10 REPLIES 10

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Parallel Lines wrote:
OK, this must be a newbie question, but here goes. How come nobody is selling a fiberglass box with a solid bottom that would sit on the lift and completely cover a motorcycle?

First of all,
"Hydralift", the company that made the OPs lift, DOES sell what's called a "No Touch" cover. It comes with an aluminum floor and, all the aluminum bows that span from one section/side of the bike/floor, over the bike, to the other side. It is designed to work like an accordion. The bike is loaded, tide down and, the cover is installed and, basically is snapped to the perimeter of the floor.

And, that same cover is also designed to be totally removed and applied to a couple of boards, to cover the bike, like a "Garage", when it's sitting in your camp site. All in all, it's actually a pretty good design. But, I had one for the 2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing on the back of our coach and, well, if any of you know that model bike, it's a seriously WIDE AND LONG, bike. Our bike was just too big for that cover and, Hydralifts claim that it's a "NO TOUCH" cover. It's supposed to NOT TOUCH the bike, anywhere, while the bike is in transport, on the back of the coach.

It's a great idea, it just didn't work for us. The OP might look in to it though for his. As for a good quality transport cover, I wouldn't' even think of shrink wrap. Talk about a pain in the a$$.

There are good transport covers. We have one called the "Ultragard" cover. It's about as thick as a very high quality sleeping bag, even thicker. It's got about a dozen cinch buckles and straps, facing in all directions possible so that every angle is tightened and, that cover DOES NOT MOVE in the wind, AT ALL. I value our bike immensely and, there is absolutely NO SCUFFING on that paint, using that cover, in many thousands of miles.
Scott

Here is one pic of the cover on ours. It's not as tight as we keep it for transport 'cause we weren't ready to roll down the road at the time the pic was taken.
Scott

P.S. 2,
If no cover is chosen, yes, the bike will get dirty. It's not the end of the world. A little careful wipe down in prep for riding is all that's needed. We did it that way for quite some time. It never slowed down any.
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Parallel Lines wrote:
OK, this must be a newbie question, but here goes. How come nobody is selling a fiberglass box with a solid bottom that would sit on the lift and completely cover a motorcycle?
Maybe nobody thought of it but you? Make one and sell them! ๐Ÿ˜›
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Parallel_Lines
Explorer
Explorer

cobra350
Explorer
Explorer
I never cover mine. I use detail spray to clean it up when I arrive and good to go.
Rick & Darlene Carson
16 Berkshire XLT 43A
15 Ford Explorer (the toad)
14 Shelby GT500
02 Ford Ranger
08 Honda Goldwing

C20
Explorer
Explorer
NEVER put a cover or anything else over your bike,boat,car etc, when towing. Anything you cover it will flap in the wind and mess up the paint. Especially when dirt and grim gets under it and it flaps in the wind. Just put it back there and let it get dirty like your toad. Then clean it when you get where your going. We tow a pick up with the cycle in the back. They both get dirty and clean them when we get there. No scratches!
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
THISis probably what others are referring to.

Gary

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy good quality shrink wrap. Lot of them will not last at 60 mph

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would srink wrap the painted areas and then put a good cover on tightly.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I would forget the fabric cover and wrap the bike with shrink wrap instead, like pallets are wrapped for shipping. It doesn't rub or move at all, doesn't cost much, and can protect about anything. Many commercial auto transporters use shrink wrap to protect the new cars during trucking.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would cover it and get that cover tight where it will not beat in the wind. Also, be choosey on your covers. Waterproof cloth would probably be better.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.