cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A Troubleshooting for us Newbies

Jeccorp1usa
Explorer
Explorer
My wife I bought a 1999 National RV Class A Dolphin 5350 Motorhome with the Ford 6.8 liter V-10 Triton. It had 29K miles when we bought it. We are living in it fulltime. We gave up the place we were living in search of a relaxed and rent free existence. We knew nothing about motorhomes and have never owned of even been inside one. Its been almost a month now and although everything seemed to work in the beginning, it seems like nothing does now. Where to begin. The automatic leveling system. It worked the first time we turned it on. The panel lit up and we lowered and raised the metal legs or whatever they are called and when we were done we raised them up and turned the panel off. Today we tried to use them and nothing. The panel will not turn on, won't light up, seems dead. What happened? Did we blow a fuse, throw a breaker? Did it burn up, is it dead? What happened that it was working fine and then nothing? Please help us. We have many questions, this is just the first. We are out of our element, we know nothing, we are as green as the greenest grass on earth. But we want to learn, we have to learn, we are not going back to living in a $1,000 a month box. We are RV living now and not looking back. Please advise. Thank you
25 REPLIES 25

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
One caveat I always recommend to both newbies AND experienced RVrs. ALWAYS video tape your WALK THRU. If you do contact a mobile tech, video tape his walk thru with you. If not, and you have another rvr assist, video tape that as well. Build your own reference library. Videos take up very little room on your computer or put them on a jump drive for future reference. Finally go thru your rig and know where the basic things are: Inverter/Converter, fuse panels (there may be more than one), what type of batteries you have for the engine and chassis, how your fridge works, 30amp/50amp etc etc. These are all things you'll need to know to help troubleshoot. Finally, know what engine and trans you have and post that in your request for help. These are essentials....good luck...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The FIRST thing you need to do is go on line or to a Camping World and buy a few RV for beginners type books. Being Green, you need some type of bible/s to get thru the ownership of Fulltime RV'ing and operation of Motorhomes. Are you staying in Campgrounds? Are you just staying where you can park for free? Doug

MrWizard
Almost a month
RV needs 120v power the outlets, potter the charge converter that charges the house/camper batteries
Your fridge uses propane aka LP, for cooling, it uses 12v power for the controls that make it work, your lights are 12v, your water pump is 12v
The levelling jacks use 12v to power the hydraulic pump and the jack controls
You need to run the the generator several hours per day to keep the House batteries charged so everything can have battery power
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jy
Explorer
Explorer
My 1999 coachman had an inline fuse for the jacks located right at the pump for the jacks.
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Tell us some of the other problems , they may be related .

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Call me. I can help you over the phone. I am a full-timer for 14 years.
I am also a retired electrical engineer and professional troubleshooter.
You might also need to locate a mobile RV Tech. Many are very good. Ask around and you might get some good recommendations.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Mine has to have the ignition switch turned to ACC for levelers to work up or down

garym114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leveling system requires the vehicle to be in Park and emergency brake to be set. For power try it with the engine running.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing beats learning the basics by reading online. Google RV basics.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
You say nothing works, is the battery dead? Are you plugged in or using a generator?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.
Usually I would tell you to ask another RVer in the campground where you are staying. Most RVers are friendly and willing to help.
Since you are living a rent free existence you are probably boondocking so asking a neighbor is not an option.

If you know nothing about RV's consider hiring a mobile RV Tech, they could go over everything with you while checking out your jack/stabilizer issue.

Did you check your breakers and fuses? It could be something simple or a little more complicated like a loose/broken wire.
If you don't know where your breaker/fuse box is located let us know.
Someone with a similar RV can tell you where to find it.
On our 96 Southwind it's located under the refrigerator.

Do you have a basic tool set and multimeter? They will be very helpful.

There is a lot of information and experience on the forum, don't hesitate to ask questions. Someone will have an answer.