cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A Troubleshooting for us Newbies

Jeccorp1usa
Explorer
Explorer
My wife I bought a 1999 National RV Class A Dolphin 5350 Motorhome with the Ford 6.8 liter V-10 Triton. It had 29K miles when we bought it. We are living in it fulltime. We gave up the place we were living in search of a relaxed and rent free existence. We knew nothing about motorhomes and have never owned of even been inside one. Its been almost a month now and although everything seemed to work in the beginning, it seems like nothing does now. Where to begin. The automatic leveling system. It worked the first time we turned it on. The panel lit up and we lowered and raised the metal legs or whatever they are called and when we were done we raised them up and turned the panel off. Today we tried to use them and nothing. The panel will not turn on, won't light up, seems dead. What happened? Did we blow a fuse, throw a breaker? Did it burn up, is it dead? What happened that it was working fine and then nothing? Please help us. We have many questions, this is just the first. We are out of our element, we know nothing, we are as green as the greenest grass on earth. But we want to learn, we have to learn, we are not going back to living in a $1,000 a month box. We are RV living now and not looking back. Please advise. Thank you
25 REPLIES 25

Rickyrocket
Explorer
Explorer
Most coach problems are mostly electrical and plumbing, electric usually turns out to be corroded connections or blown fuses,you need patience and a multimeter,plumbing problems are pretty much the same, wear n tear,once you learn your rig repairs become easier to overcome.

Jeccorp1usa
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Brandon, we have Youtubed quite a bit re the leveling system in general. Being that the control panel for it won't even light up we might be overlooking something very simple, perhaps a fuse under the dashboard drivers side??? We have to squeeze under there and check it out. Does this theory make sense? Lol, thanks, Roxanne

Jeccorp1usa
Explorer
Explorer
Branson N Tucson wrote:
Have you tried Google it on the phone. Put your year and Make of MH. Subject putting dow and retracting levers. Any more they have vetoes on everything.

Jeccorp1usa
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Flute Man, we would like to contact you by phone sometime. How do you prefer to be contacted? Our email is jeccorp1usa@gmail.com. Thank you, Joe and Roxanne

Jeccorp1usa
Explorer
Explorer
crawford wrote:
Flute Man wrote:
Call me. I can help you over the phone. I am a full-timer for 14 years.
I am also a retired electrical engineer and professional troubleshooter.
You might also need to locate a mobile RV Tech. Many are very good. Ask around and you might get some good recommendations.

Now how could you go wrong here with this man

Jeccorp1usa
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, we are optimistic about our new adventure and will take your advice, thank you.

Jeccorp1usa
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
Jeccorp1usa wrote:
My wife I bought a 1999 National RV Class A Dolphin 5350 Motorhome with the Ford 6.8 liter V-10 Triton. It had 29K miles when we bought it. We are living in it fulltime. We gave up the place we were living in search of a relaxed and rent free existence. We knew nothing about motorhomes and have never owned of even been inside one. Its been almost a month now and although everything seemed to work in the beginning, it seems like nothing does now. Where to begin. The automatic leveling system. It worked the first time we turned it on. The panel lit up and we lowered and raised the metal legs or whatever they are called and when we were done we raised them up and turned the panel off. Today we tried to use them and nothing. The panel will not turn on, won't light up, seems dead. What happened? Did we blow a fuse, throw a breaker? Did it burn up, is it dead? What happened that it was working fine and then nothing? Please help us. We have many questions, this is just the first. We are out of our element, we know nothing, we are as green as the greenest grass on earth. But we want to learn, we have to learn, we are not going back to living in a $1,000 a month box. We are RV living now and not looking back. Please advise. Thank you

I admire your courage/bravery! Please understand that what you now "own/live in" is the COMBINATION of a 21 year old house and 21 year old truck, plus the interface between the two, and the ground, all compressed into one. Things WILL wear out and go wrong. (on a regular basis) Expect that. Patience, knowledge, manuals, tools, YouTube, the people you meet along the way, and forums like this are valuable resources. You're gonna have a great time! Always keep your sense of humor tuned up.

There's very little that is going to happen to both of you that hasn't already happened to someone else, AND, they have already solved the problem(s) in a most efficient/effective way. Just ask, but, do your homework first, and, don't be a pest.

Chum lee

Jeccorp1usa
Explorer
Explorer
crawford wrote:
Flute Man wrote:
You might also need to locate a mobile RV Tech. Many are very good. Ask around and you might get some good recommendations.

Jeccorp1usa
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Doug, thank you for the advice. We purchased the only Dolphin manual we could find (avail. only in cd-rom). Its a 550 pg. manual that is a collection of manuals for our RV. We are delving into that and have utilized a mobile mechanic who is very good. We have learned quite a bit but there is so much more. Thanks again, JoeandRoxanne

Jeccorp1usa
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
The FIRST thing you need to do is go on line or to a Camping World and buy a few RV for beginners type books. Being Green, you need some type of bible/s to get thru the ownership of Fulltime RV'ing and operation of Motorhomes. Are you staying in Campgrounds? Are you just staying where you can park for free? Doug

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you tried Google it on the phone. Put your year and Make of MH. Subject putting dow and retracting levers. Any more they have vetoes on everything.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Flute Man wrote:

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Jeccorp1usa wrote:

I admire your courage/bravery! Please understand that what you now "own/live in" is the COMBINATION of a 21 year old house and 21 year old truck, plus the interface between the two, and the ground, all compressed into one. Things WILL wear out and go wrong. (on a regular basis) Expect that. Patience, knowledge, manuals, tools, YouTube, the people you meet along the way, and forums like this are valuable resources. You're gonna have a great time! Always keep your sense of humor tuned up.

There's very little that is going to happen to both of you that hasn't already happened to someone else, AND, they have already solved the problem(s) in a most efficient/effective way. Just ask, but, do your homework first, and, don't be a pest.

Chum lee

Rickyrocket
Explorer
Explorer
I think he should give a little more info,I recently looked at a DP and the guy selling it couldn't get the slide to work,turned out it couldn't be running.