cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class B - B+

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
I see some sales categories listing Class B and Class B+. What is the difference? Is a B+ a bit larger/longer?
41 REPLIES 41

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
cjscotty wrote:
As an owner of a B+, I can tell you they are technically a "form" of a C but very different. Do not let people tell you otherwise, it is very important for consumers. They have changed over the yrs with some being longer but technically they were made for people that wanted something slightly bigger than a regular B, and a little smaller or more streamline, lower in height with better gas mileage than a C. An easy way to tell the difference between a B+ and C is they do not have the large square overhang cab with the bunk. Nexxus is a great site where you can view the difference between their C and B+ as they clearly marked as such. Coachman makes a Prism 24 ft long 2150 (C) and a Prism 24J (B+) same floor plan. The 24J has no overhead bunk, is lower in height, has slightly less outdoor storage. I do not care for regular C's but really like B's and B's. They also get better gas mileage than regular C. Our B+ on a V10 got 12-13 mpg, a similar C same length would get about 8 mpg. The Leisure Travel Serenity, Unity, can be listed as "C's" but are a B+ form of a C. So is the Navion/View without the overhead bunk, Winnebago may call it a C, but many knowledgeable dealers will differentiate to help consumers. You can find some B+'s that are 30 ft long know or they made a few which blurred the lines. Whether people on here who don't even own one want to argue that they are C's, I will always fight this bc they are very different than a regular C for the above reason mentioned and that is important to consumers. Other example of a B+ is the Pleasureway Pursuit. Even tho the Pursuit can be bought with a VERY small bunk overhead as an option, it does not have the large square boxy like overhang cab over the front.

Well, with my 15 inch laptop, that is another 4 inches.

Bud

cjscotty
Explorer
Explorer
As an owner of a B+, I can tell you they are technically a "form" of a C but are different. Do not let people tell you otherwise, it is very important for consumers. They have changed over the yrs with some being longer but technically they were marketed for people that wanted something slightly bigger than a regular B, and a little smaller or more streamline, lower in height with better gas mileage than a C. An easy way to tell the difference between a B+ and C is they do not have the large square overhang cab with the bunk. Nexxus is a great site where you can view the difference between their C and B+ as they clearly marked as such. Coachman makes a Prism 24 ft long 2150 (C) and a Prism 24J (B+) same floor plan. The 24J has no overhead bunk, is lower in height, has slightly less outdoor storage. I do not care for regular C's but really like B's and B's. They also get better gas mileage than regular C. Our B+ on a V10 got 12-13 mpg, a similar C same length would get about 8 mpg. The Leisure Travel Serenity, Unity, can be listed as "C's" but are a B+ form of a C. So is the Winnebago Navion/View without the overhead bunk, You can find some B+'s that are 30 ft long know or they made a few which blurred the lines. Whether people on here who don't own one want to argue that they are C's, I will always fight this bc they are very different than a regular C for the above reason mentioned and that is important to consumers. Other example of a B+ is the Pleasureway Pursuit. Even tho the Pursuit can be bought with a VERY small bunk overhead as an option, it does not have the large square boxy like overhang cab over the front.

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Davydd wrote:
It is very simple. A Class B is built on a van chassis. What sellers call a Class B+ is technically a Class C built on a cab/chassis cutaway frame.

What DavyDD says is the correct RVIA definition.
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
"How many forum inches have been filled up with this ever recurring subject?"

Bud

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wincrasher65 wrote:
Funny how people make up their own definitions. The official definition is a van conversion.
๐Ÿ™‚

You should have quit while you were ahead. You had the official definition down exactly as Davydd clearly stated.

Then you made up your own definition.

If the chassis started out as a van, then it is a Class B. Period.

How many forum inches have been filled up with this ever recurring subject? ๐Ÿ˜ž
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
Funny how people make up their own definitions. The official definition is a van conversion.

If it has the original metal body of a van, it's a B. If it's had the body cut-up or off, or is a cut-away chassis, it's a C. It's that simple. B+ is just marketing terms by the manufacturers. They can call it whatever they like, but that doesn't change the fact.

B+ models run the gambit in sizes and configuration. They go from the small end of keeping the van dimensions, but with fiberglass slab sides, all the way up to 35' long motor coaches without the cab-over bed you see on most C's. It's gotten to the point of ridiculousness on the part of manufactures and adds to the confusion of the less informed consumer.

Retaining parts of the van, like the doors, lights, etc. Is irrelevant to the definition.

But all of this is arguing about it is really silly. The only reason it is pointed out is so that people with questions can be directed to the proper sections of online forums so they have a hope of getting useful answers to their questions. Posting your C questions in the B forum is just a waste of your time in most instances, that's all.
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans

charles
Explorer
Explorer
Also, the wide body class B units retain the original rear doors which is a nice feature if you want to haul something large, I don't believe you will find them on a small Class C.

Nick
2019 Thor Chateau 22B

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
What Davydd said. Body width has nothing to do about it.

donrebyct
Explorer
Explorer
I would think a wide-body B could be called a B+. The body is pushed out a few inches behind the side door and a few inches behind the driver's door. The little bit of extra room helps.

Sebtown
Explorer
Explorer
Built on a cab/chassis with a cut away van body might be a better visualization of a B+.

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
It is very simple. A Class B is built on a van chassis. What sellers call a Class B+ is technically a Class C built on a cab/chassis cutaway frame.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're going to get a lot of feedback I suspect. There is no relationship between a B and a B+. Class B's are a modified van and retains the basic shape of a van. A B+ would more accurately be described as a C- but from a marketing perspective nobody sells a minus anything. As you may know the traditional Class C mh has a large section over the cab which can contain a bed, storage, entertainment center. A few years back someone decided to design a Class C that did not have this large area and came up with a more streamlined unit. Then they needed a moniker to delineate this "New" design and came up with B+. But as I tried to describe it is a Class C minus the cab over.

Some manufacturers promote the B+ description. Others such as Winnebago does not. Their streamlined Units are marketed as Class C's. It can be confusing.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT