cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class B Van Windows

mtnhhiker
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about purchasing a Class B Camping Van and wondered if anyone had replaced the little tiny windows that are standard on Pleasure Way or Road Trek vans. Only a small section of the windows have screens and open. Seems like ventilation and air flow would be really poor with this tiny windows. What are those of you who already have a Class B van doing to keep cool without using air conditioning? We frequently camp where we don't have hook ups.
Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

McZippie
Explorer
Explorer
With a fantastic fan venting out only need to crack open a window to create a breeze in van. The smaller the opening the better.

Explorer
Explorer
Roadtrek offers a window screen option. Open one window - even just a crack and turn on the roof Fantastic Fan to exhaust and the air flows through the inside of the B. There is really no ventilation problem at all. The Fantastic Fan is very powerful and has great air draw.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
These are a little pricey to purchase, but they are quality. They really allow a breeze to blow through the motorhome Clicky to Skreenz.

One could make one fairly easy, but would be best to have a pattern. Can be left in place while driving, easy to slip on or off, and does provide a small amount of privacy.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
There are battery operated fans by O2Cool that use 8 D cells, a 12 volt power, and maybe a rechargable battery. Those are not as powerful as the Fantastic Fan, but for something that is battery operated, they do move a good amount of air.

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
In addition to what others have said, I have an aluminum faced tarp I bungee over the van especially the front windows if I cant drive it into deep shade. It helps to position the van so the front windows are not facing the sun in summer. In addition I do have a small clamp on fan that helps a lot just to get air moving. Otherwise, a small, lite weight screen room (Woodlands Screen House)to get outside and do cooking, even sleeping if necessary.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go for a 6000 model Fantastic Fan. It not just has a thermostat, but a rain sensor. It also has a variable speed control, and can be set to move air in either direction. There is a 7000 model, but it isn't 12 volt, but requires a full 120 VAC to function.

Some vans have screens. I know that SMB has it as an option, as well as Roadtrek. That way, the rear doors or side sliding door can be left open for air, but still keep bugs at bay.

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
"Seems like ventilation and air flow would be really poor with this tiny windows."

No problem at all! The Fantastic Fan creates all the ventilation that you could want, usually on the lowest speed. Then there is a thermostatic that will shut it off when you're asleep rather that getting too cold.

Bud

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
The small windows are no problem with ventilation, especially if you open the roof vent. In addition, you should consider getting some mosquito netting and placing it over the cab windows and then rolling the window down plus get netting for the rear window (if it opens) to provide additional ventilation. And then you can always hang netting across the side door opening to provide ventilation w/o mosquitos and flies. There have been many responses over the past few years on screening and other options for getting good ventilation. Using screening on the PW or RT is much less expensive than replacing windows. Having the ceiling vent fan on, or at least opening the vent helps a lot with pulling cool air into the RV from outside.