Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class C Rv Wireless Rear view camera

harvard69
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all
I am new to RVing. I have a 23 foot Class C Coachmen. I would like to know if anyone knows of a good easy to install wireless Camera that while I am driving I can look on my iPad and see who is behind me while i am driving not just when backing up. Thanks for any help.

Harvard69
7 REPLIES 7

MtnBikeMarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought the Voyager WVOS541 wireless camera system cause it had a microphone in the camera and a speaker in the monitor for my 27G Majestic (it's actually about 28 foot). I works great.

With the help of my neighbor who wires car stereos and alarms, we wired the camera high to the running lights for power (lights have to be on, but I think that's safer anyway). I had him put a car alarm with remote door locks in and while he was wiring that in, he wired the monitor along with that so it's fused to the battery. I decided since I don't use the review mirror, to remove it and mounted the monitor there in it's place. That way it doesn't interfere with any of the driver's views nor the operation of the sun visors.

Works great, no interference so far. Great to have it on full time to watch the bikes on the hitch rack, as well as backing up, or cars behind on the freeway. Eventually I'll have a toad and be able to watch the tow.

And the speaker/microphone is great for when your navigator is in back giving instructions.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Jayco-noslide wrote:
The mechanic I'm consulting says that my 30 ft. Class C is too long for a wireless camera.

You might need to find a new mechanic, one that can "think outside the box". When I had a 30' C I installed a cheap Costco wireless camera. I mounted the camera on the license plate and routed the 10' transmitter wire to an access compartment just forward of the rear axle. I ran a fused power wire from up front to the transmitter so the camera would be hot all the time when the ignition was on. It worked great other than the occasional interference problem. There was a gas station along the route to our annual camping place where we would pick up the feed from their security camera on our monitor. My kids got a big kick out of that!
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
have 1 on my 30, works just fine but what i did was put trannmitter in side over bed straight shot to frt wind.&added a switch to turn off when parked. ebay forgot name
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
20 foot class C here. Works very well. I bought a cheapo license plate camera & wireless monitor for $100 Canadian at a local store and first mounted it on the license plate but it was almost useless there with very poor sense of distance. Then I mounted the camera high up at the top (inside) of the rear window, aimed down so the back mounted spare wheel is at the edge of the fired of view. I can see the kayaks on the trailer behind and without the trailer I can back up to inches from a post.

I connected the power wires from monitor and camera to the house DC because it was easy and I can turn it on anytime I want want with a switch mounted on the driver's seat base. It is useful when pulling the kayak trailer and even when camped sometimes, as when the fox goes behind the MH and we don't want to scare it by pulling the curtains.

At home we have a little $70 Dlink DCs930 wifi camera with which I can see the living room on my phone or iPad, using local wifi or over cellular Internet when away from home. It could be used with a wifi router in the motorhome but I personally would rather have the dedicated monitor than fool around with the iPad app when I want to use the camera.

I recently bought another camera and monitor (wired video), hoping to use it for backup view and the wireless one for side view. Details in this thread
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

jim1632
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a kit from Tadi Brothers on internet. I purchased a monitor that clips over the rearview mirror which was worthless for read vision.
The Tadi Brothers have youtube instructions and somewhat less satisfactory drawings. They also give advice on phone.

WiFi just eliminates running a wire to transmit the photo from back to front. You still need to have a dc connection to power the camera and a separate power source for the monitor. I spliced the camera into the running light wiring at the roofline to get a high field of vision. My camera only runs continuously when headlights are on but that is safest way to drive. I powered the monitor using a cigarette plug.

I had to tinker a lot to get this installed but it does operate fine with my 24 foot RV.

NWboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
See this post for what I used for my 26' Coachmen. Keep in mind that it's not automatic upon shifting into reverse, and very occasionally will have a reception problem. The upsides are that you can use it any time, and can use the same screen for GPS and many other functions when not in use for camera.
'13 Coachmen Freelander 26QB

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
The mechanic I'm consulting says that my 30 ft. Class C is too long for a wireless camera. I'm guessing if 30 is too long, 24 might be questionable?
Jayco-noslide