cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class C sleeping arraignments:

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 1998 Class C Four Winds 5000 23rk, kitchen in the rear (which I like), jackknife couch behind driver’s seat, dinette directly in front of jackknife couch behind the passenger’s seat. The MH is in immaculate condition, with 36,000 miles on a Ford E-350 chassis and a V-10 we really like it. On the first trip, mileage through the mountains of Grand Teton, and Yellowstone Parks, which we live very near, was just over 9 mpg and plenty of power. So, we really like the MH, but, our age and afflictions keep us out of the overhead bed. We have a handicapped daughter that travels with us so three need to sleep.

I am looking at removing the dinette and putting two wall-hugger recliners in its place. I don’t mind sleeping in a recliner, I got use to it after months of serious health issues, broke my back. I find it even helps the authorities.

With my daughter on the unfolded couch, and my wife and I in the recliners, stretched out, our feet would be at the edge of the couch. Not a lot of room, but we can sleep. Are any of you that are physically challenged because of age and health issues, doing this?

I entertained the idea of adding extra handhold to the cab-over bunk to help my balance allowing me to use my arms to pull me in, but getting down may be a problem. On our first trip, I slept on the couch, my wife on the dinette bed, and my daughter on the floor blocking the bathroom.
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID
9 REPLIES 9

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Our water tank is under the dinette so we just removed one side and installed a recliner office like chair.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Lack of cartilege/bone on bone knees and increasing pain of walking or standing has put a damper on my camping and other physical activities. I carry a small disassembleable/portable mobility scooter in MH and cars. Considering knee surgery but my heart history and complications like yours make me think twice. I'm sure that you would be happier with a 27 footer with rear bedroom and queen bed (with access on both sides).

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Could you maybe buy/build something in wood that could be folder and stored like these metal ones? The rails on the side might help.

Metal Ship Ladders
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the comments. My water tank, pump, and heating duct are under the couch. I am still looking at the ladder to the bunk and mounting large hand holds to control my entrance and exit of the bunk area. Our dinette is free and clear nothing under it, and to tight to sit at. So I may remove it anyway. Carpets go under the dinette so it should be a clean easy thing to do.

To answer a question, I had my knee replaced, which gave me a blood clot in the right lung, which caused me to break by back. The knee turned out to be infected from the fist operation. Damn near killed me. After ten weeks in a full cast with no knee, I got a new knee, so special its in a study. My left ankle wore out because of the cast on the right leg. It took three years to come back somewhat, and my back is garbage, a brace on my ankle. Getting old is not for sissies, but every time I see our wounded vets, my troubles are nothing.
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a folding 3 step aluminum ladder with tubing at the top going from one side to the other in an arch. They can be found at Lowes or Home Depot. I have the exact setup as yours in a 1998 Yellowstone. My wife sleeps on the dinette (as she is unable to get up into the bunk) and I climb the ladder to get into the bunk. I use the ladder folded and lean the top on the bunk. The ladder is stored behind the couch or could also be stored on the bunk. Also, the ladder is used outside when I need to reach anything or wash the windows.

richardwise
Explorer
Explorer
Camping, or doing anything, when handicapped can be a challenge. The recliners sound like a good idea, I sleep in mine at home a lot. I took one dinette bench
out of my MH (28' class C) and put a swivel office chair in the space. Really the only way I can sit somewhat comfortably in the unit. Due to accident I have a fused hip and no knee on my right side. Maybe a ladder with wide steps could help you get into the overhead bed. And the extra handholds are probably a necessity, just mount very securely. Good luck, and enjoy your MH!

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might be able to take out the dinette, depending on what storage bins or utilities are located underneath. Often the sofa is the better candidate for removal. Check the space carefully, what is needed for the recliners. Without the extra floorspace provided by a slideout, you might find that the recliners don't open as far as you would like. I've been running into this measuring recliners, and I have the extra width of a 30" deep slideout room. I will have to pull the sofa, water tanks are in the dinette bench.

Kind of sad you've decided that nobody can use the bed over the cab. On a small C or a truck camper, that is the primary bed.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
WA7NDD wrote:
I find it even helps the authorities.
Is there some auto-complete spelling going on here?? 🙂
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome.

We use the bunk event thought there is just the two of us.
Because of back and other health issues for the wife, so she get
the jack sofa.

To get into the bunk I searched Amazon and found a wood bunk-bed ladder,
it came with nice metal hooks. I just stained it and clear coated it.
Made it easy to get in and out of the bunk. I was not expensive either.

The double recliners seem to me to be very "do-able".
Add 2 TV trays that could be stored away and you are all set.
Most dinettes are difficult to get in/out of anyway.

It sounds like a good plan to me.