cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C vs 5er - Family of 4-5

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
So, after several years of not RVing, we have decided that now is the time to return to RVing. We reside in SoCal.

Travel plans: primarily SoCal with some trips to AZ, Utah, NV and other destinations within 1-2 days of driving one way. Typically trips will be 2-5 days 3-5 times per year (when kids are off school). We may take one longer trip for two weeks in the summer. Would love to see more of our great country when time allows; perhaps a trip to the south in one of our two week summer trips.

We are a family of 5: Me (age 52) DW (age 47), DS(age 10-with Autism); DS (age 15); one furry friend (mini Schnauzer) Granny may accompany on occasions.

We have owned 2 TT (24', 32'); one 5er (30'); and one Class A ('89 Bounder with 460).

We have mowed over the cost/benefit/usage/comfort/maintenance analysis of TT, 5er, Class C, and Class A until we reached paralysis! Sometimes the analysis doesn't come out in favor of economic efficiency....but comfort, safety, and enjoyment are priceless when your kids are getting older (and parents are getting older too) and the time you have with them is limited. Our 10yo will probably be with us until we can longer care for him and he will join us on ALL adventures well into the future!

Towables are great but not sure our kids will like the trips when we travel 1-2 days to get to our destination. Riding in a crew cab truck for 1-2 full days is not that comfortable with 4-5 adults and a dog! Our previous experience has been on local 1 week trips but driving has never been longer than 3-4 hours one way.

So, now, we are considering a Class C (gas) and hope that this will be the rig that will meet our needs as described above. Class C provides more sleeping room and a little less expensive to maintain (tires, brakes).

Some have suggested that we go 5er and crew cab pick up... but the idea of longer trips sitting in the truck for hours doesn't sound so good for our kids. Also, my truck (see sig) is in great shape with 60K original miles, it is still 24 years old. 15yo loves the idea of the class C over the A as it provides a sleeping area that is not the couch! New/newer truck and a 5er would be well over $45K.

What can I expect to pay for insurance for the Class C, say 2004-2008 models?

What can be shared from the more experienced here on this forum? Based on our family size, intended use, etc.....what are lengths, slides or no slides, floor plans, brands, etc., to be considered or on our short list? Budget of about $25-$30K

Thanks in advance!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
13 REPLIES 13

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
going to look at a 2005 Tioga SL 31W today. Dealer lot. 32K miles. $39K. This unit is rare in that it has rear twin beds, which I think is pretty nice for wife and I to have our own sleeping space....instead of me taking up all of the room in a queen!

Not sure if this is a fair prive or not. NADA lists beteen $38K-$42 retail for this unit.
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Great responses! Yes, the idea of not being able to have a car to go and explore is kind of a bummer. Hate to have to tow a vehicle. To compensate, the smaller class C could be the solution. However, the 25-26 can get crowded quick with 2 adults, 2 kids, and a dog. Also, granny will be coming along until she can;t travel any more. We want to include as much as possible so the kids can have memories of her around camping.

Thoughts on size and toad or lack of toad?
Equal-i-zer 10K

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
Circumstances have resulted in us having both a FW and a motorhome. Anyway, we can choose which one for any given trip. We have found that if we're traveling just a few hours from home then the FW is better. For long road trips the motorhome wins. Maybe that formula will help with your decision.

Also, if you go with the motorhome then you have to decide toad or no toad.

Enjoy!
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
We camped in two different class C's with 2 kids and 1 dog. The first had bunks in the back and we slept in the overhead bunk. Very comfy. The second had a back bedroom with twin beds so our son and daughter slept there and we slept in the overhead bunk. It would have been more crowded to add another adult, but there was the dinette or a sofa that would make a bed.

I'm a firm believer in everyone having their own bed and it worked well for us.

Dale

what size and model do you have?
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Great responses! Yes, the idea of not being able to have a car to go and explore is kind of a bummer. Hate to have to tow a vehicle. To compensate, the smaller class C could be the solution. However, the 25-26 can get crowded quick with 2 adults, 2 kids, and a dog. Also, granny will be coming along until she can;t travel any more. We want to include as much as possible so the kids can have memories of her around camping.

Thoughts on size and toad or lack of toad?
Equal-i-zer 10K

5Mainecampers
Explorer
Explorer
We upgraded to Class C 4 years ago for same reason: We were planning some longer trips-- It is amazing how convenient it is; so much less stopping. One trip from Maine to Florida, I drove thru the night to get south of DC before dawn. The kids slept on the couch and the dinette. I stopped for a 2 hour power nap in my bed. Everyone was rested to continue all the way to SC! Could never have gotten that far in the Durango w/ TT. Kids enjoyed the ride-- watched DVD and played the X-Box on the couch. Fuel economy is not much less-- we are able to save w/ the daily driver by not needing a gas guzzler V8 Hemi to tow a TT handful of times/ year. We average 1 week and handful of long weekends.
My 12 year old (who has Aspergers- LOVES the bunk over the cab).
I have also found alot of camp grounds have shuttle buses so not having a vehicle had not been much of issue. We had planned on buying a tow dolly but keep putting it off.
Best move we ever made was the Class C!
Good luck with your searches!

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Do you remember when you had the TT and you just got out on the road and ALREADY someone needs to go to the bathroom !
That's what makes a C or A so much better than a TT in that since..
If we had bought a truck and TT instead of the MH we bought,the trips we made would have been downright miserable for me as a driver.
The DW just looks at water and has to go to the bathroom ... lol

It was so nice just driving and the DW would get up go back do her business then make us a snack etc without pulling off finding a place etc.

But the only downside of a MH (if you don't have a toad) is you can get limited on where you go, where as if you have a TT you leave it at CG and take the TV to do whatever ...

Our situation a small 25FT MH with no toad fits us perfect...

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
winnebago 25b would fit your needs and small enough not to need towing a car.

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
We love our C, and although Rosie and I usually are going it alone ( with the Josie Beagle), when the two granddaughters go with us, there is a lot more comfort and safety. There are seat belts in the dinette area and the sleeper sofa. I put a foam tube on the table edge for added safety, if there would be a chin impact from a sudden stop. Rosie can always grab a treat or drink for us, or the kids get accompanied to a bathroom if needed. And when we stop for gas or a rest we can stretch legs or the kids can jump around on the bed for a bit.
I personally don't feel like disconnecting the truck from a 5th and leveling etc. , but I'm sure I would get used to it in time. Also the cost of a $35,000. Pick up, just isn't something I need.
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We camped in two different class C's with 2 kids and 1 dog. The first had bunks in the back and we slept in the overhead bunk. Very comfy. The second had a back bedroom with twin beds so our son and daughter slept there and we slept in the overhead bunk. It would have been more crowded to add another adult, but there was the dinette or a sofa that would make a bed.

I'm a firm believer in everyone having their own bed and it worked well for us.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:
Our 10yo will probably be with us until we can longer care for him and he will join us on ALL adventures well into the future!
What can I expect to pay for insurance for the Class C, say 2004-2008 models?

What can be shared from the more experienced here on this forum? Based on our family size, intended use, etc.....what are lengths, slides or no slides, floor plans, brands, etc., to be considered or on our short list? Budget of about $25-$30K

Thanks in advance!

We're in a similar situation as my son is on the spectrum as well. I anticipate him being with us as well, for as long as we can manage. Fortunately, he *loves* the RV.

We're in a new-to-us 2008 Class C. A family of 5. In this forum I showed some pictures of the knock down bed that sleeps son #1. Son #2 sleeps on the dinette. Daughter's in the cab over for privacy.

I feel we got a great deal on our Class C at $25K. But, as I learned more about RV tires, I can see we're looking at an immediate spend for 6 new ones. Other than that, mechanically, we've been fortunate.

Insurance for us ranged from $15/month (basics) to $30/month (middle) to $50/month. We went with the middle.

So far so good. When son #2 decides to have a meltdown, we get comfort in knowing that we're not in a hotel and we don't worry about the noise.

The only downside is that he likes it so much, he already wants us to upgrade. ๐Ÿ™‚

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your reasoning seems quite sound to me. You may have to arbitrate some heated discussions between your two DSs as to who gets the cabover bunk, unless they'll agree to split a bed.

I'm not personally a big fan of slides, particularly for older rigs. They seem to me to often be somewhat of a weak spot (structurally, in terms of sealing) and are another thing to break down. A slide obviously doesn't offer any more room while on the road, and it sounds like you'll be spending quite a bit of time (relatively speaking) moving rather than stationary. However, that's more my biases than any absolute rule.

If/when you look at units with slides, do pay some attention to how things are accessible (or not) with the slides retracted. On some RVs it is very hard or even impossible to reach the bathroom or bedroom without at least partly deploying a slide.

I'm not sure I'm qualified to really suggest certain brands. I would give more care to checking condition (overall maintenance, freedom from leaks, etc.) than to brand, though of course not to total exclusion. Most of what you'll find is of course on a Ford chassis, and most of the rest on a Chevy chassis; both are generally reliable and should give little trouble with reasonable upkeep. Differences (and potential problems) are more to be found in the house part of the RV.

mahaney
Explorer
Explorer
We decided on a class C for that same reason. 5 year old son, 7 year old daughter, 2 dogs, wife and me. Thats a whole lot of people in a truck for any kind of time. With our RV, the kids can move around as needed, momma can make snacks, etc. Insurance cost us around $400 for a year. As far as brands, slides, etc, that would be a personal choice up to you.

J