Sensors apparently need cleaning because readout shows
3/4 full or occassionlly1/2 full, when I know it is as
empty as can be. Can you recommend one product that will
clean the sensors? Thank you
29 REPLIES 29

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
Before we had the Sanicom system with the built in tank sprayers I just added to the empty tank a quarter cup of Cheer and a half cup of water softener and then filled it up with fresh water. Then, drove around town stop and go for a few miles, let it set a couple of days, dumped, ran it full of clear water and flushed it out again. The sensors then seemed to work pretty well for quite a while.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
Just caught this on another thread:
wkswenson wrote:
This is an older topic - but an update on the Horst Sensors - Valterra has purchased the company and will be re-introducing those sensors under their brand soon.
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
Stefonius wrote:
icanon wrote:
Some people swear this solved their Sensor problem.
I have never used it but it seems logical.
I've wanted to buy and install the Horst Miracle Probes, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'd love to hear some first-hand feedback from anyone who has them.

We installed them on our TT and we liked them very much for the 6 or so months we owned the TT before trading it in for our Winnie with the stock TrueLevel sensors. So I can't speak to longevity with it, but they sure seemed to do the trick for the time we had them. If we were to buy a new camper without TrueLevel I'd install the Horst again...it would be super ideal to install them on a brand new tank before use if you catch my drift...but anyone who has dumped tanks or changed diapers or picked up after their dogs should be able to stomach the job on a used but empty tank.

I posted about it on our TT blog, though I don't know if I said much more than I said here ๐Ÿ™‚ http://visaadventures.blogspot.com/2013/01/poopy-talk-macerator-and-tank-probes.html
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
icanon wrote:
I've wanted to buy and install the Horst Miracle Probes, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'd love to hear some first-hand feedback from anyone who has them.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I also do not have a tank cleaner but use a wand. The cons of the wand are you have to drag it through your rv (I clean it with Clorox wipes) but the pros is you can move it up and down and get the entire tank.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
larrydp wrote:
Those of you that use the wands, do you use them in addition to a built in tank cleaner?

Nope. I don't have a built-in tank cleaner, which is a big part of the reason why I have the wand.

larrydp
Explorer
Explorer
Those of you that use the wands, do you use them in addition to a built in tank cleaner?
Larry, Ali, and Halle (part-time watch dog)
Make it a Great Day!!!

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the typical simple design tank sensors in our 8 year old motor home and they still work well. I can't say if this is the reason but I bleach the tanks at the end of the RVing season to control sewer gas because the rig is parked indoors under our master bedroom as shown here.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Had two Tornados break and leak and had questionable effectiveness. Now have Nofuss Flush with custom spray pattern to direct water at the sensors and back of tank. OEM sensors are now working like new.

ronfisherman
Gave up on the sensors. Installed a SeeLevel system a few years ago. So far they have worked well. When Stuff collects on sensor walls. A short flush with Tornado Tank Washer and all is back to normal.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
Swampman597 wrote:
Valkyriebush wrote:
our BT will go about two weeks from empty (like clockwork) before needing to be emptied with DW and I on board.

Whatcha expect? The poor black tank doesn't have a chance. Everyone knows Master Chiefs are full of******AND Command Master Chiefs are really full of it.

Ha-ha, Mike howzit going?

Mike

LMAO, Hey Swampman! Don't be disclosing Chiefs Mess secrets. lol Good to see you on the forum Mike.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard excellent things about the GEO method. I'm going w/ that this year. Last year Happy Camper seemed to do a good job w/ my tank, but GEO makes more sense to me if you google it and give it a good read.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of water and Dawn Liquid.
Also add some "dish washing liquid" that
has sheeting action. If you can find Calgon
Water Softener it will also give you the sheeting
action you need to get the scum to glide off the sides.

They read incorrect because the scum completes the electrical
circuit to tell the sensors to activate.

Also crushed ice added while you drive will agitate and help clean.