cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concrete driveway thickness??

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to park my motor home on a driveway that I believe is about 3 inches thick of concrete. I have a diesel pusher that weighs about 29,000. The greatest single tire bearing weight is 5500 lbs. Obviously I don't want to cause any damage in the way of cracks or other damage. To be on the safe side I think it would be best to keep my jacks up too. What do you think, would it be safe?
37 REPLIES 37

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
My RV garage floor was compacted and then a wire mesh was installed followed by 6" of 4000 psi mix with fiber. Contraction joints were formed into the concrete when it was still wet to control the cracking. With that said, I agree with the others to park on it and use wood to spread the load under the tires and jacks. Repair/replace only if necessary. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
glad to hear from concrete contractors. Thanks for the update.
So how thick does he need for a MH?

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I belive my driveway that was poured 3 years ago is 4-5" thick and reinforced with wire mesh. The contractor that did it is a village resident that's been in buisness for 40 years with none of pathetic residents complaining of his work. My MH is only 19k lbs total distributed by the 4 (6) wheels. No issues with cracking. I would put hesitate to put another 10k in the same spot. Anything bigger wouldn't fit and I wouldn't be worrying about cracking.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
You could should get proper info on slab thickness and proper reinforcement
from any concrete mix suplier or construction company specializing in such work

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:

All I've seen, have cracked wherever it felt like it, despite having form/saw joints.

Often that means if they sawed the joint, they waited too long. Just the expansion/contraction from day to night can crack a slab.

Forming the joint is OK for DIY work but hard to get consistent depth with wet concrete wanting to reform into a single piece.

Spacing for joints, depends on thickness and reinforcement...a thin non-reinforced slab will require a lot of joints. It will also be more critical that you have the base well compacted.

I get what you're saying and must admit, I'm pretty much of an amateur, for pouring concrete. Then again, I've seen the same from would be professionals
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
tropical36 wrote:

All I've seen, have cracked wherever it felt like it, despite having form/saw joints.

Often that means if they sawed the joint, they waited too long. Just the expansion/contraction from day to night can crack a slab.

Forming the joint is OK for DIY work but hard to get consistent depth with wet concrete wanting to reform into a single piece.

Spacing for joints, depends on thickness and reinforcement...a thin non-reinforced slab will require a lot of joints. It will also be more critical that you have the base well compacted.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ppine wrote:
Concrete highways are normally 4 inches thick to stand up to truck traffic. Call some contractors and ask them. You might be right on the margin of safety.

I have seen 8-12 inches thick.
But in this country they don't make 'em thick enough (usually)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bruce Brown wrote:
Add me to the list;

Concrete highways are 12" thick. A 4" highway wouldn't last 24 hours with any real traffic. Heck the 12" ones don't last around here. I'm not a fan a the thump, thump, thumping concrete highways for our part of the country. In the south, sure. In the freeze/thaw areas, not a good idea IMO.

In years past I have made fair paydays hauling the slabs when the state decides to cut out 1 bump to put in 2.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
ppine wrote:
Concrete highways are normally 4 inches thick to stand up to truck traffic. Call some contractors and ask them. You might be right on the margin of safety.

I'm in the industry and the thinnest concrete I've ever seen used on a highway is 7 inches. 8 to 12 inches is more common.

For a driveway with a big MH, I would go with 6 inch....it is critical that the base below is compacted well.

Concrete cracks...you can either form/saw joints that look nice or they will form for you and they will be ugly.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
The compression strength won't have a lot of impact. The stress cracks form due to tension not compression and concrete is lousy in tension. Thickness and a good compacted base is where it's at.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
My pad for my 5er is 6" thick and is reinvorced by fiberglass. There are also different classes of concrete. Mine is rated for 4000 lbs per square inch. (56 x 20)

Forgot to add there is a good base of crushed stone as a base.

Bruce_Brown
Add me to the list;

Concrete highways are 12" thick. A 4" highway wouldn't last 24 hours with any real traffic. Heck the 12" ones don't last around here. I'm not a fan a the thump, thump, thumping concrete highways for our part of the country. In the south, sure. In the freeze/thaw areas, not a good idea IMO.

When we built our garage we went with 6" thick, 4000# mix with 1/2" rebar on 12" squares topped with mesh holding the in-floor heating tubes. When it had cured we then did relief cuts so there is no span greater than 16' without a cut.

We live in a heavy freeze/thaw area, the garage was built in 2001. The floor looks as good today as the day we poured it.

With that said, I wouldn't expect good things to happen parking a DP on a 3" slab, but maybe.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
ppine wrote:

I'm in the industry and the thinnest concrete I've ever seen used on a highway is 7 inches. 8 to 12 inches is more common.

For a driveway with a big MH, I would go with 6 inch....it is critical that the base below is compacted well.

Concrete cracks...you can either form/saw joints that look nice or they will form for you and they will be ugly.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:

I don't know about where you are, or where OP is, but around here highway will be a foot or better.

I agree with the idea of use what you got until it fails. At fail, decide if going to keep MH and house for a long time. Broken concrete, unless pieces are shifting can safely be parked on for a long time. Ready to sell, replace with 4 inches..

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2, rgat.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad