cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer Group MembPlus - is it worth $139

Dieter_Heinzer
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to decide on wether or not a Class A Motorhome is "safe enough" for my likes. Obviously in most cases the main driver and passenger in a Class C cab are "safer" in any / most kinds of potential accidents. However, I am seriously tempted by the greater amount of space and water capacities of class As... Winnebago claims to have the safest Class As because of their "steel cage construction"... Don't know if that's really only applicable to them or if other manufacturers have started to do the same. I am only interested in a new motorhome, so model years 2013 and 2014 are being considered. Example models are the 35F by Winnebago and the 34.1 Miramar by Thor. Love the floor plans....

So, fellow RVers - anyone fork over the $139 to download the RV Consumer Group's MembPlus package? Is it "current"? Is it worth it?

Would love to hear from you! Thanks
- Dieter & Vanessa
The Happy Campers since 1987 :C
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1998 Coachmen Catalina 29'
on a Ford with V10 Triton
48k miles at 8.1 MPG average since bought new.
7 REPLIES 7

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Back "when" they published a book on "How to Inspect an RV". That was one of the best reads on RV construction, ever. Lots of what to look for, and look out for. Also allowed you to help decide what was important to you.

In todays more "consumer" driven world the industry does react as strongly to them as they used to, some 15-18 years back a couple of the regional dealers/manufacturers got the organizers "banned" from the Seattle RV show
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
When I was shopping, I decided that RV Consumer Group was a reasonable expense to assist in my evaluation. It seems a little high but it's really less than the cost of less than a full tank of gas and it's insignificant compared to the cost of an RV.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me that if you dig into the construction details of the RV you can decide for yourself. Way back one of the manufacturers was bragging that you could roll the rig with no serious damage but, sorry, I forgot which one. Might have been Winnebago.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

rider1520
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a member of the RV Consumer group for a number of years and while the initial price is off putting the renewal is just $28 per year. With the initial purchase you get 2-4 books on how to purchase an RV what to look for in an RV and what type of RV might be right for you and some sale tactics to be aware of. You also get a CD with reviews done on just about every RV out there. I have found the reviews to be helpful and provide the average person with some insight from individuals who have been around the industry for a while and have seen a lot. The initial price though is a lot to swallow but I have found the long term investment to be worth it. Hope this helps

path1
Explorer
Explorer
see http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/rv-crash-deaths-under-investigation/nDrSW/ Old article but little has changed since then. I saved this because of an earlier article about a driver pinned after some cabinet and frame work came loose going down the road and couldn't get his leg up to step on brake, hit another car resulting in several deaths along with his own. I like some metal in front of me hence class C. But everybody is different.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't checked the membership categories in several years. But I do believe that the RV Consumer Group can be a valuable resource in researching rigs.

As for safer, it depends on the wreck... In a roll-over a class-C is probably a little safer then an fiber-glass body class-A. Of course a true bus based class A would probably be safer still.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think that a c-class is any safer than an A. There was a recent post on this forum that a member driving his a-class hit a full size pick head on at highway speeds. From what I remember of the picture, it looks like the a-class frame, located below the coach portion took nearly all the impact. Now a collision with a similar size vehicle would be another story.
Now for "RV Consumer Group's MembPlus package? Is it "current"? Is it worth it?" never heard of it, so can't comment.

Beverley and Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.