cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Convert direct tv hook up just cable

RPNtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Bought 2010 Birkshire that once had direct tv but receiver gone. Bought new receiver but cannot get tv to recognize cable. Looks like tv will only recognize std roof antenna and not cable. Any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9

Davehrn
Explorer
Explorer
Remember direct TV does not like splitters that are not direct TV
~dave
2010 Coachmen Mirada 32ds
DW: Nora
DD: Silas White German Shepherd / Husky Mix

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
It shouldn't make any difference whether the OTA booster is on or not, because you shouldn't be hooked up to the "cable" coax, but rather to the 'satellite' coax. Different type of coax and they will hook at different places on your TV (assuming one of the new flat screens). You should be hooking to the receiver box with a coax that has red,white, and orange outputs (red, white are for sound, orange for picture) or HMDI connects.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
If the dome is Kingdome or Wingard. Then it should be a standard LNB.

This requires a standard receiver. If it is connected and setup correctly. You should at least get the DirecTv info. Goto setup/Satellite/ select Multi-switch, Oval dish. Then proceed. By the way your roof top system is it automatic or manual(meaning you have to aim it).
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
You say, the bershire had a DTV receiver, which was gone and you purchased a new receiver. Was the sat dish still on camper/ or did you install a new dish upon getting the new receiver?. I have direct tv since its inception, so I know some things. My 1st question; the new receiver is for sat.dish on the camper?/ correct. If so, the new receiver needs to be sync with sat. dish. 2 confirm the source of the coxial is comming from dish,. 3 you must have a programming package from either dish or DTV. 4 you need a clear view of the sky(from the dishes point of view) for dtv; the orbiting sat. is located over the state of texas. You must have the correct elevation and direction to be able to lock on to the signal from the orbiting sat.. If you still having issues, then call tech. department at Dish TV// Direct TV. They can remotly "reboot" your signal to restablish your signal. Let me know the answers to some of the questions I rasied and see if my suggestions work. Good Luck
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

tanman32225
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the others.. the TV amp needs to be in the off position. That is the small button located some where near a TV and looks like a 12volt supply. the light should be off indicating the Amp is off. Also the TV itself needs to be set to cable in the menu section. Rescan the channels and you should now receive cable. If there have been modifications then you might have to start at square one to get it right.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's a 2010 so my guess is the previous owner jury rigged something. When you say cable are you referring to the CG hookup or something else? I deleted my CG hookup so I could use a remote dish if we were under trees that blocked the roof antenna.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure that antenna amplifier is OFF. Also, if the rig is an older rig and you have a converter box in the line to convert over-air digital signals to analog, they will not pass cable TV signals, so you will need an A/B switch to bypass that box.

Davehrn
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on dish... I have a separate cable input from the dish that goes to the cabinet below... this attaches to the direct TV box.. and a HDMI cable attaches to the TV... my over the air antenna and cable go straight to the TV .
~dave
2010 Coachmen Mirada 32ds
DW: Nora
DD: Silas White German Shepherd / Husky Mix

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Did you switch the TV's input menu to "Cable" and re scan channels?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad