cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converter up & died

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
Ran 1426 miles Friday arriving Sunday at my kids place in Virginia and this morning noticed our water pump & furnace were struggling. Batteries were low at 9 volts while we are plugged into shore power. Darn converter had no output.
Engine charges batts and they hold good, plus I'm a battery maintenance geek, so I was confident it wasn't the batteries.
Pulled the converter out so I could reach the back to test things. Sure enough, zero volts coming out. It just died. Fuses good, input voltage good and nothing out.
Fortunately I carry a high end 12v charger with me, so I hooked it up to the batteries while the new converter is on its way. Short term solution that works great. :B

Converter has been no problem for the 8 years I've owned the RV, so I can't complain.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!
14 REPLIES 14

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
T605 are the cheaper Trojan and only 208 amp @20 hours $87 I have never seen them that cheap anywhere
however I use the much heavier us battery US 2200 XC2 232 amp @20 hours
also the US battery has a 36 month free replacement I doubt Trojan does that

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
femailyetti wrote:
how much did the Trojans cost, and what part number are they?

I get a smoking deal on Trojan batteries at a golf cart shop near me and pay $87 each for the T605s. US batteries are good and there is always opinions of what batteries are better than others. I have just had great experience and success with Trojan. Mine are 7 years old and still in great shape as I use a hydrometer to test them and I maintain them well.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
femailyetti wrote:

I buy US battery;; better battery and cost way way less

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
And give those batteries a nice slooow charge. If you are really really lucky they just might have a little life left in them. Though they are probably done.

Oh ya, batteries were not a concern as I have Trojans and just put the charger on then in trickle mode. We limped along for a couple days until I installed the new converter. 🙂
2005 Damon Astoria 3679

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
Hey gang. Thanks for all the feedback and ideas. I'm pretty good at electronic stuff and no matter what I tried I couldn't get any output from the Inteli converter.
Replaced it with a Powermax 75 amp, although mine was an 80 amp and all is back to normal.
I did throw the old one in the compartment to play with it when we get home.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
seems odd? The 2 gauge battery ground on mine goes directly from the batterys to the inverter/converter;; looking at them I do not see how
anyone could miss that deal>?what would a battery tray have to do with the ground system?

I think my setup has the battery going to ground on the chassis and the inverter/converter picking up the negative side from the chassis.

mine has battery to chassis ground and also battery to Inverter ground

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
It CAN also be a bad fuse and/or a kill switch. Different MFG's do different things. But it very well could be bad.

read OP post he clearly says
Sure enough, zero volts coming out. It just died. Fuses good, input voltage good and nothing out.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
It CAN also be a bad fuse and/or a kill switch. Different MFG's do different things. But it very well could be bad.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
usersmanual wrote:
seems odd? The 2 gauge battery ground on mine goes directly from the batterys to the inverter/converter;; looking at them I do not see how
anyone could miss that deal>?what would a battery tray have to do with the ground system?

I think my setup has the battery going to ground on the chassis and the inverter/converter picking up the negative side from the chassis.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Before you junk the converter, check that it's not a bad ground. My Magnum died and I suspected a bad ground because I had just moved the battery tray. The shop said it was bad. They put a new Xantrex in and that didn't work. then they tried another Xantrex and that didn't work. Then they chased down the bad ground.

Sent the Magnum back to the factory (under warranty) and it now sits in the garage waiting.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
And give those batteries a nice slooow charge. If you are really really lucky they just might have a little life left in them. Though they are probably done.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I've had loose wires input/output twice on mine. Re-tightened the connections and all OK

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before you junk the converter, check that it's not a bad ground. My Magnum died and I suspected a bad ground because I had just moved the battery tray. The shop said it was bad. They put a new Xantrex in and that didn't work. then they tried another Xantrex and that didn't work. Then they chased down the bad ground.

Sent the Magnum back to the factory (under warranty) and it now sits in the garage waiting.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox