cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coolant

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to change the engine coolant in my new-to-me 2008 Ford..The stuff in there looks pink or orange..Was wondering which coolant to use and how much..We have done a lot to this machine since we got it.Grease front end and change all oils in gen and engine,haven't done the differential yet.We were very disappointed in the machine at first but are getting it more to our liking.The dealer was not real up front about things,but it is my fault,I looked it over and we decided yes..Was sort of on a rush deal because they fooled around too long ..So it is my baby now....I really like the upgrades to the Ford chassis,like that powerful V-10 and that transmission is really nice..
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad
13 REPLIES 13

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
Is the trans fluid in the park brake Mercon??
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Just changed mine last spring. The F-53 uses a HOAT antifreeze. You can get it from a Ford dealer, Chyrsler uses it too. I think I found in Zerox brand and they called it A-5 or somthing like that You shouldn't mix it with regular antifreeze or Dexcool which is an OAT antifreeze. When I bought it, Ford had the best price. My chassis used 12 quarts, 6 anti freeze and 6 distilled water.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

ljr869
Explorer
Explorer
The coolant in a 2008 Ford should be kind of gold.
Jim
2009 Fleetwood Bounder 35H
Ford V-10 w/ Banks

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
When greasing don't forget to check the trans fluid level in the e-brake unit on the end of the transmission. Be a good time to flush the brake fluid also. Fords also like to have the metal surfaces on the brake caliper and cradle lubed also. Heck while your under there change the fuel filter also.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

cdl2
Explorer
Explorer
T bone said he has a Ford V 10......I figured it was a gasser.
My Safari Cat had the extended life antifreeze.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
cdl2 wrote:
I'd never use the extended life anti freeze!!!

Interesting. Both Cat and Cummins recommend it as a maintenance-free alternative to testing and replenishing SCA in regular "low silicate for diesel with added SCA" coolant.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

cdl2
Explorer
Explorer
I'd never use the extended life anti freeze!!!

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
I will go to parts store and choose two gallons and finish it off with distilled water..Thanks for input..
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the various coolants and normal color. No way to tell them apart.

Coolant Comparison
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
I was just wondering if Ford had their own special anti freeze nowadays ,like GM does.and how much it holds.
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Color is not really a good indicator of chemistry. Said another way, there is no "color code" that all coolant manufacturers adhere to.

Best advice is if you don't know what is in there and/or how old it is, CHANGE IT! Coolant is cheap compared with water pump, engine, radiator, etc.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Pink could be Caterpillar extended life. Don't change it. Have it tested, it may need a bottle of additive but not changed. It's about $20/gal and last 300K mi.