cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

country coach aqua hot -- boiler coolant?

doublev
Explorer
Explorer
The coolant level on my aqua hot is low (it is basically empty in the reservoir tank).

Two questions: what coolant do i buy (it says it requires some special boiler coolant). I am hoping there is a place online (amazon?) that can just ship me a bottle of what I need

secondly, is there any routine service that should be done? the unit has never been serviced in 7 years. Do I drain the old coolant or anything or just top this guy off and I am done?

thanks for your help
11 REPLIES 11

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
JohnnyT wrote:
Get the model number and serial number off your Aqua Hot and then call the folks at Aqua Hot, They will be able to tell you exactly what your specific unit uses... Also take note as to what your filler cap looks like... The type cap is another tell tell. The older units used regular antifreeze the newer units use boiler antifreeze... Which ever your unit uses you can add a 50-50 mixture to top it off...

My unit was built in 2003 and uses regular antifreeze, my coach is a 2004 model..Not sure when the cut over was...

JohnnyT

The OP has a 2008 model. Propylene Glycol is what is used. Doug

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the model number and serial number off your Aqua Hot and then call the folks at Aqua Hot, They will be able to tell you exactly what your specific unit uses... Also take note as to what your filler cap looks like... The type cap is another tell tell. The older units used regular antifreeze the newer units use boiler antifreeze... Which ever your unit uses you can add a 50-50 mixture to top it off...

My unit was built in 2003 and uses regular antifreeze, my coach is a 2004 model..Not sure when the cut over was...

JohnnyT
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky: http://forum.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/forum.php
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
doublev wrote:
The coolant level on my aqua hot is low (it is basically empty in the reservoir tank).

Two questions: what coolant do i buy (it says it requires some special boiler coolant). I am hoping there is a place online (amazon?) that can just ship me a bottle of what I need

secondly, is there any routine service that should be done? the unit has never been serviced in 7 years. Do I drain the old coolant or anything or just top this guy off and I am done?

thanks for your help

Ya might try calling Country Coach on the telephone and getting the straight scoop!..:S
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Cut the tube at the radiator filler neck barb, not at the overflow tank. This is where the tube gets hot and becomes brittle over time.

Detailed directions for Annual Service are at the Aqua Hot forum I mentioned earlier. Here is a link to the forum

http://forum.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/forum.php

Just register to join for free and ask for Annual Service Instructions and parts. Roger Berke, the owner of the forum, will respond with all kinds of assistance, instructions and the needed parts. You only need to be mechanically inclined and have some basic tools.
1995 Foretravel U320 40'
Cummins M11 400HP Allison 4060R

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the burner for carbon and change the nozzle. Also you should have a fuel filter and that shoukd be changed. Sometimes a bit of contortion is required to replace the burner depending on location of the unit.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

doublev
Explorer
Explorer
Hi thanks for the reply. What does the annual service entail and can I do it myself or do I need to hire a technician? The diesel burns runs. In the past I have been told there is no service for aqua-hot, but this is the first i have heard of yearly service. I am not sure what can be replaced (as part of service) besides the boiler fluid?

I will purchase #13 radiator cap. When you say the cut back the overflow tube, that is the tube that is attached to the plastic reservoir or the tube attached to the radiator cap area? Do you cut it back just to keep the tube fresh where it is attached? thanks for the input

Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Coaches made 2002 and older use regular engine antifreeze cut 50% antifreeze and 50% distilled water. These heaters do not have an electronic control board nor do they have a warning to use special antifreeze on the heater and on the overflow bottle.

Coaches 2003 and newer that have an electronic control board use GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) boiler fluid made by Camco. This bottle says ready to use but Aqua Hot states it should be cut 50% boiler fluid and 50% distilled water.

Once you have the proper coolant and distilled water on hand, purchase a 13# radiator cap at any auto parts store. Remove your radiator cap and discard. Cut the overflow tube off of the filler neck barb and cut the tube back about one inch. Re-attach the overflow tube using a hose clamp (hopefully the one that was there, if none get one). Do not stress the barb as you push the tube back on.

Now fill tank with the 50/50 coolant to the top of the neck. Install the new radiator cap and fill the overflow bottle to above the cold line. Turn diesel burner on and bring heater up to temp. Top overflow bottle to the hot line.

You do not need to drain and change the fluid, just top it off.

Annual service is recommended each 12 months and you are seriously over due. If the diesel burner runs, I will be pleasantly surprised.

For detailed instructions and Aqua Hot parts at a modest discount, Google Aqua Hot Forums. Join up for expert help and click the parts order banner at the top of the page to order needed parts including Camco Boiler Fluid.

Trainer
1995 Foretravel U320 40'
Cummins M11 400HP Allison 4060R

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
John S. wrote:
You need boiler fluid and it is sold that way. It is for aquahots as the newer ones have the coolant lines surrounded by the water. It is a gras boiler fluid you need.

There is NO water around the coolant lines. It is ALL boiler fluid. Boiler fluid thru the heating lines and boiler fluid in the heat tank reservoir that the Hot Water coil is immersed in. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
PROPYLENE GLYCOL is the boiler fluid Aqua Hot uses. You can buy by the gallon or concentrated where you mix 50/50. It costs about $30 to $40 per gallon. The annual service is
1. replace the fuel nozzle
2. replace the fuel filter
3. check the optical disc when replacing the fuel nozzle
4. check fluid level and top off as needed.
5. no real reason to replace the existing coolant.
6. check all parameters by the pump motor and connections. Doug

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need boiler fluid and it is sold that way. It is for aquahots as the newer ones have the coolant lines surrounded by the water. It is a gras boiler fluid you need.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts