cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cover vs Starting Class C

RVcoffee
Explorer
Explorer
We are upgrading from a travel trailer to a Class C. In our area, winter temps stay below freezing and we get snow. We used to winterize the travel trailer and put a cover on it until spring. With the Class C, I hear that you should start the engine and drive it at least once to twice per month. We will winterize it, of course, but I was wondering what to do about the cover. It's a big production to get the cover on an off. Do you just put a roof cover on it, instead of a full cover, so it's easier to remove? I'm sure a foot of snow on the roof is a BAD idea, so I'm wondering what other Class C folks do in the cold/snow season. Any tips? Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
As others have stated. I keep mine uncovered, plugged in, heated, start genny for 2 hours once a month, run engine as needed and move snow off roof as soon as possible. 5 years without an issue, although I was always out every month as well. Other than NYE weekend I am a little behind on my getting out.
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

Nvr_lost
Explorer
Explorer
I use to start mine while under the ADCO cover to keep the fuel from going stale, warm up the cab etc. The cover is breathable. The cover can become frozen to the RV so I never bothered to take it off until spring. I live in a snowy area. Always ran the genny one a month under load.

DaveP
Explorer
Explorer
I put fuel stabilizer in mine and cover it. In the Spring I start it up and go for a short drive to get stuff moving again. Then it's time to clean it up and go camping.

David and Jeannette
2016 Freedom Elite
2005 Rialta 22QD
No toads.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
If your worried about snow weight cover wont do a thing for you. why not a raise car port then your covered and easy to drive off when you need no covering or uncovering best of both worlds.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the leave it uncovered; then once a month or so drive it 30 to 45 min, and exercise the generator camp.

bobm253
Explorer
Explorer
I used to leave my class C uncovered and tried to start it and the generator up every month or so but was not too regular in doing so.

Now I cover it during the winter (Adco breathable cover) and take the house battery out. The battery is kept in my garage on a battery tender. Seems to work OK, have had no problems in the spring.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I cover ours after driving and running with sea foam in the gas for the motor and
genny. Batteries are fully charged, leave it sit till spring and start it up after uncovering. If the batteries are dead, it's time for new.
Brian

RVcoffee
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I'll ask the dealer what they do. PghBob, what kind of solar panel? How does that work? I've not seen that before.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Do the RV dealers in your area cover their motorhomes?
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
We do not cover for two reasons: 1. we snowbird usually in Feb. or March and I don't want to be climbing up on the roof of the rig with snow or ice on it, and 2. we have a solar panel on the roof that provides some charge to the batteries on sunnier days.

If the roads are clear and covered with too much salt, I try to take it for a spin every month. I also run the genset at least one hour per month under load and sometimes two hours per month. The best way is to snow bird for the entire winter! I can't pull this off just yet.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is covered. Yep, it's work to get it on and off, and even more of a pain when it's cold. But it's covered.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
My MH is stored outside, uncovered and plugged in, all winter. I do not start it, although I do exercise the genny. I have read that it is better to let the MH sit idle all winter than run it.

I have done this since the MH was new with no problems.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Our Class C stays outside uncovered and hooked to the electric service 24/7.
I feel that a cover, not a garage, while they have advantages they have the disadvantages of wind movement and lack of ventilation.

I exercise the gen for 30-45 min per month and start the main motor more often.

The motor is started at least that often and run until at least until the temp gauge stays in the normal range. Prolonged periods without starting can lead to dry starts as the oil has rained back into the pan. Even though is only a second or two, it takes it's toll.

The transmission is also placed in it various positions to direct fluid through the valves, etc.

I also apply the brakes several times to exercise the calipers and check the electrical systems and heat A/C, etc. while I am there.

I feel it all a part of normal maintenance.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it would be wiser to simply put it away and avoid starting the main engine over the course of the winter. Running it without getting it up to operating temperature will do more harm than letting it sit. Driving around for an hour in the winter is arguably better for the engine (though how much better is quite up to discussion), but very likely to expose the chassis and underside to road salt etc. that I for one would prefer to avoid.

Starting the generator to exercise it under load for fifteen minutes or so a few times is a good idea--not so much for the generator engine as for the brushes and commutator.

My riding lawn mower, for example, has sat unstarted every winter for something like twenty years, and it still works fine. It is starting to wear out, but that's not from sitting. It, incidentally, happens to have an engine made by Onan.