cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crack in fresh water tank

Edsassets
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new Dolphin 34' in 2004. To this date it has been a problem child. I'm getting it ready for a 6 week road trip and find the fresh water tank leaks. I believe it's a 75 gal. plastic tank and is leaking around the drain outlet.
My problem--I can't remove it. I can move it about 2 inches toward the opening but that's it. The tank is at the very rear of the coach on the drivers side. I'm hoping someone else has had this problem and can give me some advice. I believe it can be welded if I can get it out.As far as I can tell, I have to cut a hole in the bedroom floor to get to the top of the tank where I think the pick-up line is.
Can anyone help me?
Ed.
10 REPLIES 10

3sacrwd
Explorer
Explorer
I used JB Water Weld suggested by somone on this forum, and it worked well, easy to use, and hardened up perfectly.
1997 Forest River Reflection 38' DP

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you can't easily remove the tank but can reach the cracked fitting I would try an adhesive like Shoe Goo or Goop sold in Walmart and reinforce with gauze sheets. Drain and sand the area well clean with acetone. You want the acetone to attack the surface for a good bond. I assume the drain is under the tank so the excess solvent won't puddle. Apply about a .030 layer of adhesive then wet out the gauze sht and apply the wetted material to the .030 layer smoothing this with your fingers removing any entrapped air. If the crack is larger than .030 apply several layers. I have used this several times to fix cracks in plastic tanks.

joraz
Explorer
Explorer
Before trying to repair the tank, find out what material it's made of. I had a leaky black tank and tried the plastic welding route. That didn't work. That's when I found out about Cross Linked Polyethylene. (different molecular structure than polyethylene). If a tank is made of this material, it simply cannot be repaired. It can't be heat welded and nothing will stick to it. Anyhow, before doing anything I recommend you determine the material of your tank and then proceed accordingly. Good luck with this issue.
jor
09 LazyDaze

All58Parks
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I repaired my water tank with a double patch of eternabond. You would need to be able to put lots of pressure on the stuff to make it stick. Place a small patch over the leak, then place a second larger patch over the first one.

That's an interesting idea. There is no pressure to speak of, seems like this could work really well, especially as a short term, quick fix to get you through the next trip.
2014 Wildcat Maxx 26bhs
2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
National, you used to have to pull the Black and Gray to get the water tank out on some models. Yours may be this way. Doug

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi,

I repaired my water tank with a double patch of eternabond. You would need to be able to put lots of pressure on the stuff to make it stick. Place a small patch over the leak, then place a second larger patch over the first one.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
WOW that is ugly. Never thought about something like that

You might check pet shops they have sealants for aquariums that might do the job

GOOD LUCK
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this website for advice.

Tank-Depot.com

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure there aren't removable panels to get to it? Although I've never had to take my tank out, I have noticed there appear to be panels that could be removed to slide it out.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Ed,
If it is in fact PE or, polyethylene which, I'm assuming it is, then yes it's weld-able. The question is, can you get at the injured area(s)? If not, there are a number of newer, epoxy type glues out there that are pretty darn strong at binding to many surfaces. If you absolutely cannot get it welded, then this might be the way to go. You'd still need to get a dremmel in there to do some gouging where the cracks/breaks are so that the epoxy can get a good bite on things.

These darn manufacturers don't make it easy to do things like this, even though there's a fair possibility that work on a water tank may be needed in the future.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND