cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crock pot cooking while traveling?

Bosun
Explorer
Explorer
My wife picks up our new Class A motorhome tomorrow (I'm working for another 10 days out of town). This is our first r/v with an inverter. My question is if we can put a crock pot cooking going down the road without having to fire up the generator? Cajun Red beans and rice and smoke sausage would be mighty tasty after a days drive! Does anyone else do a little slow cooking while running?

Thanks

Patrick
Patrick
Semper Paratus
34 REPLIES 34

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Assuming you have an inverter, put it in the sink and go for it. That said, after smelling some things all day they are not as appealing by the end of the day.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a class A, but that is my favorite use on the crock pot. I like to drive really long days, so something I can put on during a lunch stop and will be cooked for the end of the day's drive is great.

The crock is a little big for the sink, so it sits on the floor of the trailer, kind of wedged in by the door. makes it easy to check on during stops, and low to the ground so it's not getting tossed around as I bumble down the road.

edit: for power, I have lots of battery and 2800 watt inverter. If I'm going somewhere with hookups, I just let it run down the batteries, my crock draws 400 watts on HI. If I'm Wallydocking that night, or somewhere else without hookups, I start the generator that lives in the truck bed. can't even hear it once I'm on the highway.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can. But please make sure its not going to slide around while driving down the road.

On the rare occasion we do it. Sarah sets the crock pot in one of the kitchen sinks. (She puts down a towel first.)

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Bosun wrote:
My wife picks up our new Class A motorhome tomorrow (I'm working for another 10 days out of town). This is our first r/v with an inverter. My question is if we can put a crock pot cooking going down the road without having to fire up the generator? Cajun Red beans and rice and smoke sausage would be mighty tasty after a days drive! Does anyone else do a little slow cooking while running?

Thanks

Patrick

Patrick,
Well, first off, what is the size and wattage of your inverter? If it's larger than what the requirements of wattage drain of crock pot, then you'll be more than fine running down the road with crock pot on. But, as you more than likely know already, do be sure and secure that crock pot adequately so it can't move around almost at all, not only for normal driving but, in the event of some drastic maneuvers just in case some hard braking or steering is needed for evasive stuff.

I'd hate to read about you wearing all those red beans, sausage and rice. Your inverter will be supplying the power to run the crock. Your house batteries will be supplying the power for the inverter. Your alternator will be supplying the power to re-charge and keep the house batteries up. Again, as long as your inverter is large enough to cope with the demand(s) of the crock. Good luck and happy meals.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
It should be fine. Crock pots don't pull much power. Probably 300 watts or so. Your MH alternator should be able to easily keep up with that load.