cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cutting Shock Bolts

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been told that the bolts holding my shocks in place will have to be cut in order to replace the factory shocks. This is from two places who have not seen the motorhome. I looked under it and saw no signs of rust or dirt on any of the bolts holding the shocks. I also sprayed a penetrating oil on all of them.

Is it normal for the bolts to be cut off? Anyone ever had this happen?

My MH is a National Tradewinds DP 2001 on a freightliner chassis. The Blistins were installed when she was new.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am
20 REPLIES 20

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
Why are you opposed to cutting them off?
Sometimes it's the fastest way, time is money.

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
Usually some penetrating oil and an impact gun will do the job. Sometimes heating the nut with a torch works. Last resort is to cut off bolts with a torch.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a THIRD call is needed-- perhaps to someone who has done suspension work on a Freightliner chassis.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
You can speculate until time ends if you want. Or, you can put an impact driver/wrench on the fasteners and . . . . . CRANK. Then, see what happens. You'll have your answer. If you need to be more aggressive with cutting tools, then you do. IMO, that's the time to decide. If not, keep doing what you're doing. Every vehicle is different depending on where its been and for how long.

It's just my personal opinion but I really try to avoid buying vehicles with evidence of the previous owners/mechanics/technicians tendency to over use cutting torches, crow bars, and sledge hammers. But, sometimes its the only way.

Chum lee

ken1961
Explorer
Explorer
The only ones I had to cut off were from trucks that ran in the strip mines in Penna. and I've worked on trucks that were from 1942.
Ken

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Most heavy truck shocks are cut off. Those bolts a rusted even if you can't see it.
Cut em off, pound em out and use new bolts. Job done.