Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dash a/c not cool enough...

DoubleVeteran
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I have a 2002 Phaeton DP, and the dash air has never been cold...only mildly cool. I know that is subjective, but for a comparison, the a/c in my 2009 Ford F-150 runs twice as cool as the Phaeton under the same conditions; highway speeds @ 85 degrees.

I had it checked at two different RV service centers and both said the air was working properly. I know I can run the genny and roof-top a/c, but I'm thinking the dash a/c should work much better. Is this typical of DP coaches to have marginal dash a/c cooling?

Thnx,
Larry
20 REPLIES 20

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
stick a temp gauge in the vent ,should read 42deg if its much from that its not right.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
DoubleVeteran wrote:
Hi all,

I have a 2002 Phaeton DP, and the dash air has never been cold...only mildly cool. I know that is subjective, but for a comparison, the a/c in my 2009 Ford F-150 runs twice as cool as the Phaeton under the same conditions; highway speeds @ 85 degrees.

I had it checked at two different RV service centers and both said the air was working properly. I know I can run the genny and roof-top a/c, but I'm thinking the dash a/c should work much better. Is this typical of DP coaches to have marginal dash a/c cooling?

Thnx,
Larry

Don't know if you're talking air outlet temp. or cooling the interior, but the former should be near the same. With the latter, no way can you expect much from it and some have went so far, as to hang a curtain behind the front seats. I don't bother with it myself and consider them worthless.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
My 2009 on normal AC is cool but once temp goes into the 80's I use MAX ac and the air is MUCH cooler due to it using recirc already cold air and not the air from right outside front which most likely is running the generator..Try the MAX AC setting, you might be pleasantly surprised...
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The only way to tell if it is doing as it is suppose to, is check the temp of the air as it comes out of the dash vents. Compare to your other vehicles. There is a chart that tells what the temp coming out should be at a given outside temp. The MH has a much larger area to cool. Many of them do not work that well.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to check the heater and make sure that valve is shutting off the hot water flow through the heater core. Some have found that both the in and out lines were hot, meaning that the air conditioner is also cooling the hot water from the heater core. This situation can be helped by putting an on/off ball valve in one line at the heater core and it shuts off all hot water flow through the heater core. Just one thing to check, Hope this may help. Happy trails Bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

glamisorbust
Explorer
Explorer
I only have experience with my coach, a 1999 holiday rambler endeavor. Mine has the 5.9 24 valve cummins. I picked up the coach in august of 2014 and the air has always worked. It does blow cold and fairly hard, but I don't think you'll ever be satisfied if you're comparing it to a newer pickup truck.

The truck has a lot less room to cool, the DP has such a vast area to cool that you'll need to run the genny and roof airs to keep it cool in there if it gets up to 80 or 90 degrees. I had another gas coach with the 454 that I was dead set on getting it working properly.

I spent about $300 on new hoses, evaporator, condensor, etc. and got it charged. It did blow cold, and was a little helpful but still had to run the genny and roof air to keep it reasonable in there. Hope this helps.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!